Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!

Ok ladies I need some tips.....

Usually when I make a shawl I just sew the fringe on (ribbon fringe) but whats a good way to tie the ribbon on? I've seen it done but can not figure out how they get it through the fabric.....so how do I do it?

You can use a sharp darning needle with a big eye to thread the ribbon through.
    That's the only thing I could think of.

Comment

Well thats what I was thinking.....but.....will the ribbon be able to fit through where the needle went? Know what I mean?

Comment

If you pull real hard........

How about making a big hole with a big darning needle and use a small crochet hook to pull the ribbon through?

Comment

What Majii said:)

Comment

When I made my daughter's shawl, I discovered a short needle that has a huge eye. I found it at Hancock fabrics of all places. I think it is supposed to be a yarn needle or something. The eye is probably 1" long and a full 1/8" wide. I used that to thread the fringe through the shawl. I would assume it would be big enough to pull most ribbon through as well. Of course, the hole the ribbon goes through in the fabric would still pinch the ribbon a bit.

That's my 2 bits. I don't know if that helps, though.

Scott
            Scott

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Quick to judge,
            Quick to anger,
            Slow to understand
            Ignorance and prejudice
            And fear walk hand in hand.
            --Neal Peart(from the song Witch Hunt)

Comment

Originally posted by JingleBelle
              What Majii said:)
              I agree, though have never attempted that myself. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by scottlollar
                When I made my daughter's shawl, I discovered a short needle that has a huge eye. I found it at Hancock fabrics of all places. I think it is supposed to be a yarn needle or something. The eye is probably 1" long and a full 1/8" wide. I used that to thread the fringe through the shawl. I would assume it would be big enough to pull most ribbon through as well. Of course, the hole the ribbon goes through in the fabric would still pinch the ribbon a bit.

That's my 2 bits. I don't know if that helps, though.

Scott
                Hey! I found the needle! Woohoo. It is a Knitters needle. Made by a company called Colonial, out of England. The package comes with two needles, one is a little smaller than the one I talked about. And the package number is CB69898, and it appears the needles are made from recycled materials.
                I knew it would be a good idea to keep the package...

Good night!

Scott
                Scott

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Quick to judge,
                Quick to anger,
                Slow to understand
                Ignorance and prejudice
                And fear walk hand in hand.
                --Neal Peart(from the song Witch Hunt)

Comment

a gurl i know did her shawl by punching holes (looks like with a hole puncher) then just sticking the fringe through and making a not close to the seam. if that makes much sense.i can't think today

Comment

I pre-punch my holes in the fabric first with an awl. Then I thread the ribbon through the holes with a tapestry needle. A tapestry needle is smaller than a yarn needle so you won't need to make your holes as large.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X