Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things sure have changed since the early 90s!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things sure have changed since the early 90s!

Wow! Things sure have changed since I was dancing in the early 90s! My daughters are wanting to do Fancy dance outfits this year. From looking at the pics I can see that there have been alot of changes. Could someone tell me the "norm" for these outfits now?

Lots of applique work with shiney materials and Brocades. Thats about it!
    There are 2 types of people in the world...
    Really stupid people who think they are smart
    and
    Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Hey sis,
      If you check the thread on oldschool/newschool fancy shawl they have a good discussion on changes in the way shawls are being done. I hope you plan on teaching the girls "good" fancy dancing. from the heart...finess not flash. luvs ya

Comment

Of course! There isn't any way to truely dance any style if you don't dance from your heart and soul!

Comment

Thanks. Do you see vests or yokes more now? Are sequins still being used or have they gone completely back to the beadwork? ALOT has changed with this style since I danced. Thanks again for the info.
          Last edited by SamanthaF; 04-10-2008, 04:07 PM. Reason: misspelled word :)

Comment

I was watching one of my old powwow vids the other day and you are right things have certainly changed from the early 90's. Fringe wasn't as long and sequins were HUGE! Lol also I noticed back in those days that the contemp jingle wasn't as flashy as today's...just a bit more fancier footwork than the old style (I kinda liked it better lol...none of this twirling around business, save it for the shawlers eh?). Anyways good luck with your regalia:)

Comment

I haven't been to a powwow in quite awhile... jingle dancers are spinning?! I was taught never to make a complete turn while dancing jingle...it was one of the differences in the dancing. Guess things have changed ALOT since I was active!!! I am doing ALOT of research before I attempt to make an outfit now LOL. I ahve started teaching my daughter how to dance but I guess she'll be doing "old school" ... LOL Thanks for the memories :)

Comment

Yeah I know...I haven't been back in the circle for too long myself and I was amazed at how many jinglers were spinning around in complete circle. I was taught not to do that too!

Comment

I'm glad to know that there's someone else returning to the circle too. I guess the drum still beats within us...even when we forget to listen to it. LOL
                  So, what are some of the differences between the outfits of today vs. our "old school" fancy outfits? Of course, the shawls have really changed. But, what other differences are you noticing?

Comment

for myself or should say for my daughters new fancy outfit I'm making it with sequins (see tutorial ) since I don't know how to bead and no appllique not even on the shawl as for a vest/yoke I'm going with a yoke I like the look and for me looks easier to sequin. This will be my first outfit I have ever made from start to finish. I will buy her moccs though. I have pics of her necklace here on powwows.com that I did in sequins (she wanted old school necklace) and will make a hairpipe choker to go with it she doesn't care for the beaded choker with drop that they wear now so I guess I'm mixing it up a bit but that will make her look a little different for everyone in the crowd.
                    Becca

Comment

Ive only been pow wow'in since 99', (and things have changed since then as well) but am seeing more yokes then vest, more flare to the skirts , shorter shawls with longer ribbon, and not really seeing much sequins - mostly beadwork. But, Im working on a sequin set for myself LOL. Sparkly!!!! Bring it back :)
                      Walk softly, leave nothing but footprints....

Comment

Thanks ladies! I know that sequins were really in when I left.
                        I'm hoping to eventually complete a beaded set for myself but since this will be my daughters' first fancy outfits I was hoping to do sequins for them-less expense & time. (That way they can dance and I can see if "they'll stick with it".) LOL

Comment

Originally posted by SamanthaF View Post
                          I haven't been to a powwow in quite awhile... jingle dancers are spinning?! I was taught never to make a complete turn while dancing jingle...it was one of the differences in the dancing. Guess things have changed ALOT since I was active!!! I am doing ALOT of research before I attempt to make an outfit now LOL. I ahve started teaching my daughter how to dance but I guess she'll be doing "old school" ... LOL Thanks for the memories :)
                          I haven't been here in a long time, but I was reading and thought about something. I started fancy dancing when I was about 12, so 6 or 7 years ago, and I remember being taught that jingle dancers didn't turn in a full circle or cross their feet. I was reminded of that when Kevin Locke visited my school and did a program. Things have changed since I left the ring 2 years ago.
                          My Grandmother always told me: "Pray with your feet, but dance with your heart."
                          My family said: "Believe in your dreams and yourself, and you can do anything."
                          If I believe both, I may just fly.

Comment

Yeah. I'm finding out more than the outfits have changed.... But, I am teaching my daughters the way that I was taught regardless if it's considered "old school". I think it's important to teach the younger generation what has come before them or we lose the history and styles that were so important to us and to those who taught us. Hopefully, you will consider coming back "to the dance".

Comment

Originally posted by SamanthaF View Post
                              Yeah. I'm finding out more than the outfits have changed.... But, I am teaching my daughters the way that I was taught regardless if it's considered "old school". I think it's important to teach the younger generation what has come before them or we lose the history and styles that were so important to us and to those who taught us. Hopefully, you will consider coming back "to the dance".
                              Oh, I am. When I go home at the end of this school year, I'm going to finish making my new regalia. It's a year and a half in the making because I've been half way across the country. I won't be home for any powwows but there's two near here next fall, so my friends and I are going to travel and I plan on getting back into competition.
                              My Grandmother always told me: "Pray with your feet, but dance with your heart."
                              My family said: "Believe in your dreams and yourself, and you can do anything."
                              If I believe both, I may just fly.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X