Plain Jane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plain Jane

I have been a fan of fancy shawl dancers and like to watch the competition. In large groups the busyness of the shawl, dress and beadwork patterns seemed to blend.

I have noticed that some dancers are shifting back to plainer outfits. In a group of busyness, they stick out and are more noticeable.

Have you noticed this too?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
    I have been a fan of fancy shawl dancers and like to watch the competition. In large groups the busyness of the shawl, dress and beadwork patterns seemed to blend.

I have noticed that some dancers are shifting back to plainer outfits. In a group of busyness, they stick out and are more noticeable.

Have you noticed this too?
    Yes, I have noticed! to me, it seems like the plain shawls done with chainette fringe have a lot more snap and make the arm movements look crisp.

Comment

Have noticed it too and am loving it................BRINGING BACK OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To me is it better to look at a plain outfit rather than the flash -- it allows you to focus on the dancer and footwork (which is what you are supposed to be looking at anyway), rather than having to look through all the color and design.......LOVE IT< LOVE IT< LOVE IT!!

Comment

soo cool, so chainette fringe would probaly be the best to use then, do you think? I am making my daughters outfit, well haven't started yet but mabey i should use the chainette fringe then.

Comment

I love the Old style look! It's keen, especially with round beaded stuff. It seems to bring out more foot work. Thanks to women who brought this look back....Tawny H., Gracie....ect.
          ***ONE MORE!!!***

Comment

I do use ribbon rather than chainette fringe, but I keep my regalia pretty plain n simple. It's just my personal preferance, not to have all those sequins and shiny fabrics. :D

Comment

i love the plainer shawls because the gals tend to do more footwork. its like they are not hiding behind their outfits.

at last year's Mohegan Wigwam, there was a gal who had plain applice and the bottom of the shawl was curved.
              Bahnisiain

Comment

i too am lovn the "plainer"/old style look of all the categories actually ... i prefer it. minimal colors ... i think jus they jus pop more than beadwork with like twenty colors (yes ... i've seen it ... i've done some too LOL ... more opportunity for mistakes i think LOL).

but ya ... you're eye is more apt to wonder over to the dancer with the big bright one color shawl ... with no designs on it.
                Watch your broken dreams...
                Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

its just another TREND...pretty soon EVERYONE'LL have outfits like that and then one person'll bring out her old flashy stuff and stick out amongst a big crowd of plain janes...
                  "Out greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."

"Never Compromise yourself, Your all you've got"

"An eye for an eye will only lead to a blind world."

Comment

I have been working on new stuff for my son, husband and myself. I am incorporating tribal colors and have established family colors I want to use throughout. I don't want everyone to be matchy-matchy, but I love when I see families that coodinate. Even though fancy shawl tends to be very flashy, I want to still incoporate family and tribal designs...kind of old school. I think bold color choices and beautiful, meaningful designs can make just as much of a statement as using all of the neon colors you can fit into your design. I was going to use colors that I really like, but when I talked with my husband, he like the idea of family colors and I'm using them in different ways. For example, gold can be yellow for his traditional shirt, but flashy for my new fancy shawl outfit. I'm not sure about chainnette. I really like the ribbon, but it is sooo expensive. Anybody know where you can buy in bulk? I always end up wasting a little on each spool and going back to the store 3 or 4 times just to get all the spools I need.
                    "This is not a black and white world...in order to survive the colors must be swirled"
                    -LIVE

Comment

Originally posted by butterflypulse View Post
                      I really like the ribbon, but it is sooo expensive. Anybody know where you can buy in bulk? I always end up wasting a little on each spool and going back to the store 3 or 4 times just to get all the spools I need.
                      Satin

it's where I got my ribbon. they can heat treat it so you don't have to use fray check. my shawl has taken a beating for the past two years and the ribbons are still good as new!
                      "Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Comment

try the ribbonfactory.com they will even cut it and bond the ends for you ...........for a few cents a piece and they have alot of colors. I'm getting my daughters ribbon for her fancy there and having them cut it for me 500 pieces and it will only cost me 2 cents a piece for cutting I figure about 60 bucks total for ribbon and cutting .........saves me the headache of trying to cut all of it and make sure it's all the right size.

Comment

what size ribbon is the right size everyone uses??

Comment

1/4 inch for me. ribbonfactory.com is where i got mine...it's beautiful.
                            "Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Comment

Originally posted by bahnisiain View Post
                              i love the plainer shawls because the gals tend to do more footwork. its like they are not hiding behind their outfits.
                              haha, until i improve my footwork, that's exactly why i make "busier" fancy shawl outfits

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X