Help making a yoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help making a yoke

We're making my step daughter's outfit, she's 6. We finished her dress and shawl and I'm getting ready to make her a yoke. We're keeping it simple, cause she'll outgrow it by next year anyway, but I wanted to make a complete outfit. My question is, is what's the best way to make the yoke???

Most I have seen look like a vest in the front and then the back is shaped like a half circle in the back. But I have seen a couple that were just circular shaped like a grass dancer's yoke (for lack of a better term) Which one is better? How is the first put together????

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Joe
    The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
    -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

patterns

Patterns are out there just search around.
    I use canvas and just bead right on that.
    Friends dont let friends take home ugly Men. :huddle:

:indian1: THE DARKER THE FLESH THEN THE DEEPER THE ROOTS :indian1:

Comment

Simple pattern

I have found from trial and error, that I prefer the H-harness style yoke. You can use a simple shape in back (straighter edges, such as square=easier to sew) and then attach to strips in front with belt going around. The H-harness (strips and belt) should be one piece and can be constructed with strips which are sewn folded in half and then turned right side out to give a nice edge. Press with an iron, putting seam of each strip in back, to hide. The belt may be buttoned or snapped in back and if you leave a little extra material here and there you can adjust it as she grows, by moving snaps and moving belt further down. The two vertical strips should be at knees about and belt should fit snugly. It's easier than it sounds. I find that this method is simple, fast, and takes little sewing experience. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
      "This is not a black and white world...in order to survive the colors must be swirled"
      -LIVE

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X