how did you fringe your shawl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how did you fringe your shawl?

how'd ya do it? sewing it up there with a machine or hand or making holes and tying. what size fringe did you use. c'mon let's hear all the great details!

I use ribbon.
    http://www.iconarchive.com/ Hey check out this page the Native American icons under CULTURE. They are free to download. They have different tribes.

Comment

It takes me about a week to make a shawl with a design on it. When I make one for a lil' sis I use shorter ribbon.

I never tried make one with fringe. I was never taught that way.
      http://www.iconarchive.com/ Hey check out this page the Native American icons under CULTURE. They are free to download. They have different tribes.

Comment

fringe?

i hate the way fringe looks b/c after it starts to unravel it looks HORRIBLE.try ribbon,it looks better &its easier to work with.:D
        who lives in a pineapple under the sea? man i wish it was me!

Comment

In previous regalia that I have had, the fringe used was ribbon, and was sewn on by a sewing machine, ribbon was folded in half, and sewn along the edge of the shawl.

Comment

i had never thought to just fold the ribbon in half and sew it up there, i just cut each piece

Comment

Originally posted by Tahemet
              In previous regalia that I have had, the fringe used was ribbon, and was sewn on by a sewing machine, ribbon was folded in half, and sewn along the edge of the shawl.
              Give that chick a prize. thats how I do it. fuller and less time to.
              Friends dont let friends take home ugly Men. :huddle:

:indian1: THE DARKER THE FLESH THEN THE DEEPER THE ROOTS :indian1:

Comment

Innovative Idea for Ribbon Fringe

I used a method I came up with to sew ribbon onto my shawl. I detailed the method in the <b>attached picture</b>. I used wide ribbon and a decorative stitch to cover the resulting raw edge, which gave my shawl a neat, clean look. I used 28" pieces folded in half.
                "This is not a black and white world...in order to survive the colors must be swirled"
                -LIVE

Comment

Re: Innovative Idea for Ribbon Fringe

Originally posted by butterflypulse
                  I used a method I came up with to sew ribbon onto my shawl. I detailed the method in the <b>attached picture</b>. I used wide ribbon and a decorative stitch to cover the resulting raw edge, which gave my shawl a neat, clean look. I used 28" pieces folded in half.
                  attached pic? where?

Comment

not sure

not sure where the pic went, might have done it wrong...but I'll have to wait til I get home to get the pic attached...evacuated right now due to hurricane...hope it doesn't hit us :-/ I'll try to get that pic up Saturday, depending on how weather turns out.
                    "This is not a black and white world...in order to survive the colors must be swirled"
                    -LIVE

Comment

I used fringe on mine an pulled it through an looped it with a crochet hook took me two days to fringe it . An it has been like that for almost 5 years now an not fraied yet. But I do like the ribbon on some shawls it looks pretty too. All it what you like I say.
                      Better known an loved as Men~Nie Turtles !
                      Life is what you make it. Becareful what you give . You just might get it back!

Comment

i have an interesting way to attach ribbon sort of confusing but i'll try.

i have this double sticky back tape that is 1/4 inch wide that washes out after one wash.

i lay my shawl after it has been hemmed right side up on the floor. then i put the sticky back tape along the hemmed edge where i want the ribbon to be.

then i lay each ribbon down right next to each other so that they are "upside down", covering up the shawl not the ground.

then i sew on binding over the edge...so it sews in the ribbon down once.

then i flip the ribbon over so it is the right way now. then sew it again. now the ribbon is sewed down twice...

Comment

The fringe on my shawl, is 40 inches long, folded in half ribbion. I used a needle, put over 300 fringes in to it! it took me a while to have it done, but it was done. And it is cute to see the fringe go over a Grass Dancer's head when you are out in the circle dancing! :D

I did a pattern, witch no one else has been able to do with their shawl's, maybe one day, I will do another!
                          Dance on the Wild Side of Life!
                          D.A.D.O.F.S. 4Ever
                          or
                          D.A.D.O.G. 4Ever
                          What Ever you do, Never Let up, Never Think of Giving UP!
                          Just Go out And Dance with All of Your Heart!
                          Let's Dance Up a Storm tonight!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X