Plumes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumes

Where/How did u get ur plumes? I've been in traveling from powwow to powwow for a while but i just really started dancing and i don't have a plume. How should I go about getting one? I know some of the drummers around here could prolly get me one, but am i supposed to ask somebody or what. Help me out ladies!!
    ~One Luv~
    NeSsA

"Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your heart or burn your house down you can never tell."

lol i don't know... I'd feel funny asking somebody for plumes... I used to have plumes that one of my mom's friend's gave her... but they got stolen outta my house so I don't have any anymore.... I kinda wish I had some but oh well... I don't think I'd ask somebody for some though... I asked my dad once cuz he got an eagle but he never gave me any he just gave em all away... :Mad i was thinkin "wtf?!" but whatever... jeez I'mma just be all ranting and raving i better shut up! but yeah I'm actually no help in my big long post I made here... oh wait yeah I did answer your question where did you get your plumes?? :Teeth I got some feathers somebody gave me... but I dunno... I'm just sitting around waiting maybe somebody will give me some plumes someday, if not oh well... I'm not going to ask anybody tho because i'd feel just plain odd asking for something like that

Comment

thats how i felt.....i couldn't just come out and ask somebody for feathers. So do u see many women dancing w/out plumes?? Cause i always feel like i'm the only person w/out them.
      ~One Luv~
      NeSsA

"Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your heart or burn your house down you can never tell."

Comment

I know right I feel like I'm the only one without em most of the time but I'm used to it now... I've seen a few other women without plumes but mostly jingle dress dancers...

Comment

hey all.. hope you dont mind a jingler on this thread! with jinglers thd ones without plumes are usually traditional jinglers. But me hey i have a plume but it is more like a fluff , it isnt tall like everyone else! i want one too!

~Kelli
          If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

Plumes..

My first plumes were given to me by my grandma's second husband. I was a little girl, like 7 or 8. He cut his plumes off his roach and gave them to me. They were short and grey, but really fluffy. My second pair was given to me by my step-dad. He cut his plumes off his bussle. I still wear those. Miss Unsnaggable has seen those ones. fo sho! lol! :Chatter

Comment

Out here

Not to many of the ladies around here who fancy shawl have plumes, especially real plumes. I bought imitation plumes, but most of the ladies I dance with just wear barrettes. What do you think about imiatation plumes? They are kind of small, but I think they do the trick until the day when I may or may not receive eagle plumes. I have to agree with several people in saying, if it's meant to happen, the feathers will come, and be proud of what you have...your regalia and your gift of dance.
              "This is not a black and white world...in order to survive the colors must be swirled"
              -LIVE

Comment

I believe that the plumes come to you when you are responsible enough to care for them. That is not saying that you are NOT responsible, but just that you do not need to find them, they will find you.

I got mine when a man that I saw at a few powwows asked where my plumes were, I said I didn't have any and he gave me one.
                Got percap?

Comment

Originally posted by Jibby™
                  I believe that the plumes come to you when you are responsible enough to care for them. That is not saying that you are NOT responsible, but just that you do not need to find them, they will find you.

I got mine when a man that I saw at a few powwows asked where my plumes were, I said I didn't have any and he gave me one.
                  I belive that too, and agree with you as well. I am presently waiting for some black tip plumes, 5 white side feather with black speckles, and an 11 tail feather fan that is mostly black with white splotches. Should be here either today or tomorrow:D

Comment

Originally posted by Jibby™

Yeah Jibby's got it on this - you don't seek out sacred itmes - they make there own way to you. It's about earning them and being ready to receive them and about being gifted with them in a sacred manner.

It's not just trading for them or buying them and then opening a courier box! And it sure ain't about telling everyone how many mittfulls of feathers you have!

Comment

hmmmmm

all this is true about it coming to you...i bought my plumes ...and i did ask for them...and how much....off of a friend ...you see....i dance with a dance troupe and sometimes we get women dancers and forget their plumes or don't have any so i bought them for this reason.....and if i ever do have a young dawnis someday they'll go to her.....so is it because i was ready for some fancy feather plumes hmmmmmmm lol. i paid two hundred for them i lend them to my best friends fiance's sister she deserves to borrow them her desire to dance is all the worthiness i needed to lend them out.....don't be afraid to ask people how much they'd be willing to sell our trade their stuff for alot of the times they will say i's not for sale thats cool alot of the times theyll ask whatcha got lol ....later
                      slide slide slip n slide

Comment

A eagle flew overhead and plopped one down in front of me. I must have been good that day.Iwish.Outtie:Angel2

Comment

Plumes

I started dancing when I was about 11 and didnt get any plumes until i was like 16... and i got them from my Dad... i knew he was waiting to see if i was ready and i had just given up my first crown and i guess i showed responsibility...

yeah... they will come to you in time... dont feel bad.. just make sure your braids are nice and snug
                          Last edited by MissFancyChick; 09-20-2003, 05:59 AM.
                          Love the Dance...
                          Feel the Drum

Comment

I got mine when I was 16 from my uncle, and the 2nd one I also got from my uncle.. he said he felt bad because the 1st ones were too small for me. But anyways, the way I got them had to do with the way my family was brought up on traditional ways. But neways.. just thought I'd through my 2 cents in.

:Angel2

Comment

I've been dancing all my life and when I was 16 yrs. old, I finally got initiated with my eagle plumes. I got initiated with my younger sister who just started dancing and I felt bad about it because it was like I had to earn my plumes and she just started. Well, to this day I still lecture her about responsibilities and at least she listens to me. A close friend of mine had asked a medicine man for the plumes because she thought that I had earned it.
                              powwow_twinkle

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X