Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

spinning techniques/choreo?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • spinning techniques/choreo?

    Hi everybody,
    does anybody have some tricks on spinning techniques for someone whos just starting out and doesn`t get to go to powwows too often (difficult to ask other dancers then). Like an explanation of the single steps or maybe a video for a break down of a whole choreography?
    Like on youtube or whatever?

  • #2
    Depending on spinning
    Try finding 1 point to focus on. And when u spin whip head/eyes back to same spot over and over no matter which way u turn.

    This helps to not get dizzy and keep balance.

    with practice u should be able to do a 360 turn on the ball of foot pivoting momentum from kick off.

    Hope that helps a bit

    Comment


    • #3
      practice daily, watch you tube and most importantly ask the dancer who taught you. Plus this dance is a bit more free style. I had 4 diff spin styles, which I taught the girls (including my own) when they decided to start dancing...that's the benifit of learning before dancing. Hope that helps

      Comment


      • #4
        care to pass them on? thanks for your replies so far

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sophisticated_lady View Post
          Hi everybody,
          does anybody have some tricks on spinning techniques for someone whos just starting out and doesn`t get to go to powwows too often (difficult to ask other dancers then). Like an explanation of the single steps or maybe a video for a break down of a whole choreography?
          Like on youtube or whatever?

          sophis,

          Perhaps if you're just starting out, you might want to try working on the basic footwork?

          Once you get some basic footwork that you're comfortable with, they're are numerous ways to spin that can be added to your dance choreography.

          Last summer I saw some young shawl dancers that I could tell were just learning. They would dance at a very slow pace without much footwork. Then when the drums honor beats hit they would both spin really fast, then go back to the very slow pace without much footwork for the rest of the song.

          It kinda looked funny to me.
          Last edited by WhoMe; 03-04-2009, 05:02 AM.
          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

          Comment


          • #6
            If I knew how to make videos I would. i agree with Whome, start at the begining. At powwows the dancers will help you, as should whoever taught you about dancing. Do you live near who taught you or will you see them at powwow? In the meantime, watch videos and dance with it. don't work on copying the moves like a choreographed dance, just work on moves and let it come out as it does.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sophisticated_lady View Post
              Hi everybody,
              does anybody have some tricks on spinning techniques for someone whos just starting out and doesn`t get to go to powwows too often (difficult to ask other dancers then). Like an explanation of the single steps or maybe a video for a break down of a whole choreography?
              Like on youtube or whatever?
              No break down or whole choreography here... sorry!

              just work on your foot work.... those become spins...

              but the most common spin i see i guess... would be the "Ballerina Spin" maybe?? lol... thats what it looks like to me...

              BUt practice... i dont' think u want a choreographed dance anyway right?

              Good luck!! and have fun searching youtube for ideas! :D

              You can't double team a Triple Threat



              The Black Hills are NOT for sale



              ps. i'm still the greatest~n i'm prettylol

              Comment


              • #8
                thank you so much for all your answers, nah not a whole choreographed dance, you´re right about that. I`ll see wha I can find if you see anyone stumble and hop around helplessly off beat... that´s me! rofl... nah not that bad Thank you all!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
                  sophis,

                  Perhaps if you're just starting out, you might want to try working on the basic footwork?

                  Once you get some basic footwork that you're comfortable with, they're are numerous ways to spin that can be added to your dance choreography.

                  Last summer I saw some young shawl dancers that I could tell were just learning. They would dance at a very slow pace without much footwork. Then when the drums honor beats hit they would both spin really fast, then go back to the very slow pace without much footwork for the rest of the song.

                  It kinda looked funny to me.

                  Ya if you have someone to actually show you it`s good but I don`t and many others don`t have that either. I understand these answers but it doesn`t really help me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am sorry you don't have anyone, I guess it is hard for some of us to imagine. Youtube it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      yup lots of you tube vids on fancy shawl and maybe tryin it while you are listening to your fav drum group..so you will know what to do out there.. dI mean the spinning..lol..jus do it..lol
                      "I don't know why you never tried to tell me I was the one for you, I'm telling you my love is true and you're the only one for me -NC

                      I'm not crazy I'm jus a little impaired I know right now you don't care but soon enough you're gonna think of me and how I used to be I'm not crazy jus a little unwell...-matchbox 20

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Lakota_winyan View Post
                        yup lots of you tube vids on fancy shawl and maybe tryin it while you are listening to your fav drum group..so you will know what to do out there.. dI mean the spinning..lol..jus do it..lol
                        lol dancing like a bear thats been shot in the butt aye

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ballin_n_shawlin View Post
                          No break down or whole choreography here... sorry!

                          just work on your foot work.... those become spins...

                          but the most common spin i see i guess... would be the "Ballerina Spin" maybe?? lol... thats what it looks like to me...

                          BUt practice... i dont' think u want a choreographed dance anyway right?

                          Good luck!! and have fun searching youtube for ideas! :D
                          i used to do ballet, and that really helped with my turns, and i see the "ballerina turn"alot too,some times i do it it called a piroute.

                          Comment

                          Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                          Loading...

                          Trending

                          Collapse

                          There are no results that meet this criteria.

                          Sidebar Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X