Second Hand Dance Regalia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Hand Dance Regalia

My 4 year old wants to dance fancy shawl, I was going to buy a second hand outfit but was told that you should not get a used outfit because it may have bad medicine, and should just have a new one made instead. Has anyone heard this before? is it true?? because she is still growing I wanted to just get it used & wait till she's a little older to have one made for her.

Originally posted by Tawnee_P View Post
    My 4 year old wants to dance fancy shawl, I was going to buy a second hand outfit but was told that you should not get a used outfit because it may have bad medicine, and should just have a new one made instead. Has anyone heard this before? is it true?? because she is still growing I wanted to just get it used & wait till she's a little older to have one made for her.
    I am by no means an expert, so I hope to be corrected if I tell you anything wrong. I understand that a good prayer and smudge will take care of any bad medicine. Even if you have it made specifically for her, you don't know what is in the heart of who makes it. It is also very unlikely that anything for a four year old would have any bad attatched to it. I do believe that you should do the very best within your means, so if you can afford something nicer or new, go for it. Do not skimp on your childs regalia. It shows your degree of respect and love, at least in my opinion. Happy dancing!!

Comment

Tawn,

If you want to be paranoid, look at the reality that the potential for bad medicine is everywhere! It just depends on your state of mind and what YOU believe.

A well known powwow family, gifted an Indian outfit to my niece that their daughter outgrew.

After my niece outgrew it, she gave it to my oldest daughter. Then after my oldest daughter outgrew it, my youngest daughter now wears it.

In this transition, this outfit has been owned by different individuals in the Northern Plains, West Coast, Southern Plains, Southwest and East Coast.

Recently, I ran into a person from the well known powwow family that I had not met before. When I heard her last name, I introduced myself and told her about how this outfit has made the rounds. She told me, "the outfit that your daughter is wearing used to be MY outfit!" She was real happy to hear about her outfit.

"This outfit was meant to keep on dancing."
      Last edited by WhoMe; 03-20-2009, 04:40 PM.
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

pray

Just smudge it and pray over it before your little girl wears it.
        That's all you got to do!

Comment

my skins were previously loved before they were gifted to me....the previous owner removed her beadwork from them. I added my own designed and have danced them for 3 years....So I think that the others are right pray over them, smudge them and let an outfit that might have sat in a closet for years be danced and danced... I think that it's a good thing...
          Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

I've seen many outfits that I've made, especially for children, make the rounds - going 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th-hand. I mean, kids grow so fast. Your daughter will probably go through MANY by the time she's grown.

Especially in these trying times, it's more economical and it's the ultimate recycling.

BUT....to everybody I loaned things to and never got them back:

Please return my girls' dance items. I have granddaughters now that would love to wear their mothers' dresses, belts, shawls, mocs, hairties, etc...
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
              ....to everybody I loaned things to and never got them back:

Please return my girls' dance items. I have granddaughters now that would love to wear their mothers' dresses, belts, shawls, mocs, hairties, etc...

Ain't that the truth.

And, and Dwayne and John, I need my roaches back that I loaned you over 15 years ago...
              Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

lol.... good luck on getting anything that you have loaned out back...

I'm still waiting on baby stuff that I loaned out back and my youngest child is 19 years old... lol
                Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

Thanks for all of your responses. I've decided I'm going to try to make one for her myself. I am going to use satin for it, should I line the inside of the skirt and vest with satin as well so it will not be so thin?

Comment

Thanks for all of your responses. I've decided I'm going to try to make one for her myself. I am going to use satin for it, should I line the inside of the skirt and vest with satin as well so it will not be so thin?
                    I would line the vest/bib and leggings in cotton broadcloth
                    The shawl in something that compliments the regalia. Sometimes cotton, sometimes satin, sometimes somethin else.
                    The skirt often is fine...if usin satin. If not then depends in the material.

Comment

Man, I just bought some satin online. Pretty colors and NOT CHEAP. But when it arrived I was SO disappointed. It's crepe backed, but THIN!! Looks like I'll be lining EVERYTHING!
                      ...it is what it is...

Comment

I have no idea if you'd be interested or not, but if you are still looking to buy an outfit, I have a tiny tot fancy shawl outfit (brand new) that I made for my daughter and she is refusing to wear it for some reason. LOL She's four as well and it is made to about a size 6 but could easily be adjusted and I will alter it for you before I ship it out. You can see pics of it on my myspace page. Brooke | MySpace.com

I'm not looking to get a ton out of it and the shawl isn't done yet so there are only pics of the yoke and skirt right now. PM me if you're interested!

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post

Especially in these trying times, it's more economical and it's the ultimate BUT....to everybody I loaned things to and never got them back:

I won't loan my kids stuff out anymore. I do that and people return it weeks later and it looks like crap!! So I won't do it anymore.

However, I think getting your child a secondhand outfit is find, especially if your child is just starting out. I have seen some parents spend a crap load of money on their kids a new outfit and the kid decides they either aren't going to dance at all or they're not going to dance that style.
                          A secondhand outfit is a good starrt cause it will help teach your child to take care of their stuff!
                          Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

Thanks cherokeemom06 but I already started her regalia. I got the vest done & now I'm working on the skirt. I'm hoping to get it all done for the red lake 4th of july powwow.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X