Optin Monster

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full Flowy Fringe.. & other questions maybe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Flowy Fringe.. & other questions maybe.

I'm starting to make my first fancy shawl. Well, not my first, but the first that I'm making for myself. Well, whenever I'm bored and I'm procrastinating on my homework, I like to watch fancy shawl videos on youtube. LOL One thing that I noticed was that the fringe on their shawls seem to be so thick, full, and "flowy" for lack of a better word. Is this just what my eye is seeing, or is there a trick I should know before I begin my sewing? I was thinking that maybe they sew on two layers of ribbon fringe. I know when I help my grandma make fancy shawls, she only sews on one layer. What do you ladies do?

2 layers gets a little thick - cuz each ribbon gets folded and consider the hem, so that can be 7 layers!

I think a single layer of 1/4" ribbon is plenty - doubled over of course.
    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
      2 layers gets a little thick - cuz each ribbon gets folded and consider the hem, so that can be 7 layers!

I think a single layer of 1/4" ribbon is plenty - doubled over of course.

So what you're saying, is that I cut my ribbon, then fold each one then sew it on folded?? I think I get it! My grandma used to cut ribbon and only sew on one end, so it was just one layer. Does that make sense?

I have 3/8" ribbon. When I went to buy it, i couldn't remember if it was 1/4" or 3/8". When I got there I just got 3/8. I can't return in, because of the policy of the store. But it's so pretty. Do you think my shawl will look just as good with 3/8? I'll post a picture to this thread BTW.

Comment

I wouldn't do more than a double thickness of fringe. More than that would get kinda heavy, IMO.

Comment

I've noticed that a few dancers w/ "good flowy fringe" use 3/8" inch instead of 1/4" and of course it's LONG!!! and it's folded in half and sewn on... i'm always scoping out shawls and askin about them :D:D Helene Gaddie has a pretty wicked shawl and it's got atleast 3 sizes of fringe.. kind of heavy i think.. but it looks awesome

You can't double team a Triple Threat

The Black Hills are NOT for sale

ps. i'm still the greatest~n i'm prettylol

Comment

Originally posted by shawna.butterfly View Post
            So what you're saying, is that I cut my ribbon, then fold each one then sew it on folded?? I think I get it! My grandma used to cut ribbon and only sew on one end, so it was just one layer. Does that make sense?

I have 3/8" ribbon. When I went to buy it, i couldn't remember if it was 1/4" or 3/8". When I got there I just got 3/8. I can't return in, because of the policy of the store. But it's so pretty. Do you think my shawl will look just as good with 3/8? I'll post a picture to this thread BTW.
            3/8 WILL LOOK BEAUTIFUL WE CUT OURS SO TOTAL LENGTH IS 16 INCHES SO CUT IT 32 AND FOLD IT SEW ON BACKSIDE OF SHAWL ASK SUZZQ4 FOR DIRECTIONS SHE IS GREAT!!

Comment

3/8 is very close to 1/4 and will look good. I take a strip of masking tape (bout 10 inch long) stick it to my coffee table. Have all my ribbon cut and sorted. If 16 inch long then cut 32 inch. Fold in half and stick fold on masking tape (half way up width) continue down masking tape leaving just inch on end of tape. Then fold tape oved ribbon so it is all stuck down. Repeat this until there are enough pieces. I do 3 sides minus a few inches where the hands go. Then I sew the stripes of ribbon inside bias tape which hides the masking tape and sew to shawl. When my girls were younger and had smaller shawls and shorter ribbon I tied it in tassels and sewed it on....it was sooo full but to expensive (and heavy) for a bigger shawl. Good to hear your learning to make your own. Not a lot of girls learning to sew anymore...personally I love sewing.

Comment

those are great instructions but my fringe gets frayed. how can i prevent this?

Comment

fray check or cut ribbion with wood burning tool but be fast or ribbion will melt and be sure if you use fray check to do all ends

Comment

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
                    3/8 is very close to 1/4 and will look good. I take a strip of masking tape (bout 10 inch long) stick it to my coffee table. Have all my ribbon cut and sorted. If 16 inch long then cut 32 inch. Fold in half and stick fold on masking tape (half way up width) continue down masking tape leaving just inch on end of tape. Then fold tape oved ribbon so it is all stuck down. Repeat this until there are enough pieces. I do 3 sides minus a few inches where the hands go. Then I sew the stripes of ribbon inside bias tape which hides the masking tape and sew to shawl. When my girls were younger and had smaller shawls and shorter ribbon I tied it in tassels and sewed it on....it was sooo full but to expensive (and heavy) for a bigger shawl. Good to hear your learning to make your own. Not a lot of girls learning to sew anymore...personally I love sewing.
                    Thanks for this great tip! Now I can look forward to sewing shawls instead of dreading it :) I was pinning on all of ribbons :P Plus, your way sounds like it will make a nicer finished product.
                    Kindness matters

Comment

Originally posted by shadowoman View Post
                      fray check or cut ribbion with wood burning tool but be fast or ribbion will melt and be sure if you use fray check to do all ends
                      or use a lighter...quicker n easier..
                      "I don't know why you never tried to tell me I was the one for you, I'm telling you my love is true and you're the only one for me -NC

I'm not crazy I'm jus a little impaired I know right now you don't care but soon enough you're gonna think of me and how I used to be I'm not crazy jus a little unwell...-matchbox 20

Comment

Originally posted by Lakota_winyan View Post
                        or use a lighter...quicker n easier..
                        That's what I do...lighters are in my sewing cabinet.

Comment

I know right?? cuz usually I am takin the shawl on the road soo when I get a chance I sit there n burn off the tips and they usually don't fray..except the ones I forgot..lol..
                          "I don't know why you never tried to tell me I was the one for you, I'm telling you my love is true and you're the only one for me -NC

I'm not crazy I'm jus a little impaired I know right now you don't care but soon enough you're gonna think of me and how I used to be I'm not crazy jus a little unwell...-matchbox 20

Comment

Geez, use your lighter to light a little candle...save your butane...
                            ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X