Unsure, curious and wanting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsure, curious and wanting...

I'm a 24 y/o Chickahominy woman from Los Angeles. My mother has taken me to Pow Wows since I was very little, the only problem is that I dont know very much about my people or my heritage although I am actively learning.

I am mixed Chickahominy, Blackfoot, black and white...needless to say a crazy mix. I have wanted to dance for a long time now, but every time I go to a Pow Wow I get crazy looks and rude comments. When I ask for advice or general questions I try to be as respectful and polite as I can but I still get ignored or dismissed. No one that I have met has been eager to help as I had hoped. I have not lost interest, but I'm a bit lost still. I have wanted to dance Fancy Shawl for as long as I could remember. I have made 2 shawls, but they are sitting in my closet because I get discouraged sometimes. I have wanted to pick up where I left off.

Because I have never danced before, I dont know what to do or how to get started. You will have to bear with me and excuse my ignorances. I have never been near my tribe and I visited for the first time this past fall. My mother tried to teach me all she could. I know how to bead and sew.

I guess I'm nervous...any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have never had anyone to really learn from.

Originally posted by ariesgirl1984 View Post
    I'm a 24 y/o Chickahominy woman from Los Angeles. My mother has taken me to Pow Wows since I was very little, the only problem is that I dont know very much about my people or my heritage although I am actively learning.

I am mixed Chickahominy, Blackfoot, black and white...needless to say a crazy mix. I have wanted to dance for a long time now, but every time I go to a Pow Wow I get crazy looks and rude comments. When I ask for advice or general questions I try to be as respectful and polite as I can but I still get ignored or dismissed. No one that I have met has been eager to help as I had hoped. I have not lost interest, but I'm a bit lost still. I have wanted to dance Fancy Shawl for as long as I could remember. I have made 2 shawls, but they are sitting in my closet because I get discouraged sometimes. I have wanted to pick up where I left off.

Because I have never danced before, I dont know what to do or how to get started. You will have to bear with me and excuse my ignorances. I have never been near my tribe and I visited for the first time this past fall. My mother tried to teach me all she could. I know how to bead and sew.

I guess I'm nervous...any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have never had anyone to really learn from.
    Welcome
    I see you live on Whidbey Island nice place I was stationed there and lived on the south end of the island for a while

You are always going to have people looking at you, as for making rude commnets well you can't change ignorance or there mind either so pretty much ignore that stuff
    The only way I know of to learn to dance is to make friends with people that do dance
    That means your going to have to go to more powwows and introduce your self to dancers that dance your style.
    Talk with them but take your time dont blurt out what you want, make friends first and make it known that you would love to learn how to dance. If it is meant to be somebody will take the time to teach you what you want to know. This style of dance started to the North so your in a good area to see lots of these style of dancers
    Lots of Powwows in that area
    Look up on Powwows.com calendar for upcoming powwows
    Also there is another website called Powwow time that lists powwows in the Northwest.

Have a good time and forget that people are looking at you
    Afterall you are going to have that if you are dancing!!!
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

Comment

Good words Josiah!!!

I couldn't have said it better myself!
      I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

Comment

good advice from Josiah. He is very wise.
        Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

Hey honey, I know where you're coming from. Josiah is right on. Good luck with you journey to dancing :)
          Kindness matters

Comment

I remeber feeling just as you did and someone gave me the same advice Josiah gas givin you. I swallowed the big lump in my throat and took that advice. I am so glad that I did.

Comment

Thank you all so much for the advice and the encouragement. It's really appreciated. It makes me feel good that I'm not alon and that there are other that understand what I have gone through. Again, thank you so much!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X