Help With Fringe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Fringe!

I'm in the process of finishing up my 4 year olds shawl & I'm using 3/8" ribbon for the fringe. I'm not sure if I should double over the ribbon or just use a single ribbon. What would be better?

double it

Comment

Fold it over doubled then sew it on just like you would a single piece. So you really have two layers of ribbon. The fold at the top keeps the ribbon from fraying as easy too, I've found. Plus it is so much fuller and prettier than a single layer.

Comment

fold it so it's doubled. I lay out a strip of masking tape and but each folded ribbon on it about half way up the tape, side by side. When the strip is full I fold it over so all the ribbons are stuck down straight and even. I then make the next strip till I have enough for the shawl. Then I sew the tape inside of bias tape so ya can't see the masking tape then sew that to the shawl. Looks good and is less fiddally. Melt the eds with a lighter when your done to prevent fraying. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
          fold it so it's doubled. I lay out a strip of masking tape and but each folded ribbon on it about half way up the tape, side by side. When the strip is full I fold it over so all the ribbons are stuck down straight and even. I then make the next strip till I have enough for the shawl. Then I sew the tape inside of bias tape so ya can't see the masking tape then sew that to the shawl. Looks good and is less fiddally. Melt the eds with a lighter when your done to prevent fraying. Good luck.

I'll have to try that! I'm working on tiny tot fancy shawl right now and I always just sew my ribbons on, one by one, making sure there isn't any gaps between them. The masking tape sounds so much easier though! Thanks Suz.

Comment

A friend of mine suggested cutting the ribbon with a woodburning tool. The tool "cuts" the ribbon by melting the ends, thus preventing any fraying whatsoever. Do it quickly though, if you leave it on the ribbon too long you have a gooey mess!

We used this method on the last fancy shawl outfit we made. It is a little more time to cut the ribbons this way, but we didn't have to use fray check or melt the ends with a lighter. That last shawl has seen a lot of dancing, but we haven't had any ribbons fray at all. I now cut all our ribbons this way.

I also use the woodburner to "cut" out my pieces of satin for applique work on shawls and dresses. I apply heat-n-bond light to the back of the satin, trace the design on the paper backing, then use the woodburner to trace around the design. I use a metal cookie sheet under the fabric - otherwise, you will melt your table! This seals all the edges so if you don't use a heavy satin stitch to edge it, your material will not fray at all. Peel off the paper backing, iron it to your shawl or dress, then zigzag stitch or satin stitch the edges.

You occasionally have to put another edge on the end of your woodburning tool by rubbing it on sandpaper because the edge will get dull and it is harder to cut out intricate designs.

Hope this is clear and makes sense. It really has been easy to use and has prevented any of our ribbons from fraying.

Comment

are you using single fold bias tape or double fold? I've used 1/2" double fold bias tape for the rest of her outfit & can't figure out how you would put the fringe inside the double fold (sorry if this is a stupid question but this is the first thing I've ever sewn).

Comment

Originally posted by Tawnee_P View Post
                are you using single fold bias tape or double fold? I've used 1/2" double fold bias tape for the rest of her outfit & can't figure out how you would put the fringe inside the double fold (sorry if this is a stupid question but this is the first thing I've ever sewn).
                If you are edging the whole shawl in bias then do so with the double, then sew the masking tape into the single and sew on to the back of the shawl. You can use double for a hemed shawl. The masking tape goes IN the bias and the bias goes ON the shawl (the shawl doesn't go IN the bias cause the ribbon is there in the opposite direction). The reason for single on a bias edged shawl is thickness. Some times I cut my own bias tape and iron it like an accordin so that it can encompass fringe and shawl, but it is a lot of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Tawnee_P View Post
                  i have a question.... what kind of material are you using 4 the shawl??? i don't use bias at all.. I sew the ribbon directly 2 my shawl but it depends on the type of material 4 the shawl (well thats my personal opinion) my shawls are polyester....

I tried a shawl made out of Bridal Satin. n i used a bias for that one... ( took it apart later) but thats because 4 my own taste i didnt' like the way it "moved" when i danced

You can't double team a Triple Threat

The Black Hills are NOT for sale

ps. i'm still the greatest~n i'm prettylol

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm using crepe back satin for the shawl.

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice & all the great posts on the site. I finally finished her regalia. I decided not to edge the shawl with bias. My daughter is very excited!

Comment

can u explain a little bit more about the bias tape n masking tape I tried the masking tape but this last time it kept gettin my needle all sticky so I am maybe not going to use that method...I used a glue b/f but that was kinda time consuming..am looking for more easier methods to use..kinda last min person here..lol...I don't use a bias..jus tape on side of the masking tape to the shawl and the other to the ribbons n then sew them up that way..maybe I can sew the bias on top of that? this time I used a velvet material n with the ribbon it kinda got bulky n my sewing machine died..lol..
                        "I don't know why you never tried to tell me I was the one for you, I'm telling you my love is true and you're the only one for me -NC

I'm not crazy I'm jus a little impaired I know right now you don't care but soon enough you're gonna think of me and how I used to be I'm not crazy jus a little unwell...-matchbox 20

Comment

my masking tape fits in the bias so that
                          when I sew the bottom edge of the bias I am sewing under the masking tape and not threw it. I may sew threw the masking tape when sewing the bias on. I buy cheap masking tape from the dollar store...less sticky probably cause it only gums my needle the tiniest bit, and then I clean the needle. Plus I change needles regularly on my sewing machine.. I think you may need to get your machine a tune-up. Also do you clean to dust from your sewing out of the bobbin run...velvet leaves lotsa lint, but this should be done each time you sew. Needles! Different needle for different fabrics and tasks. And if it cathes, snags or you hear a "clunk" sound while sewing, or break a pin then ya need a new needle. I know last minute, by the time I am done everyone elses stuff, finishing mine will be last minute.
                          ADD ON...if youve lost the tiny brush to clean your bobbin run, use q-tips
                          Last edited by SuzzeQ4; 05-19-2009, 02:28 PM.

Comment

One more thing...about how it was bulky with the velvet...did ya hem the shawl, then use bias? If so, cause velvet is thicker, iron your own folds into the bias like an acordian, as I mentioned previously this does take time, I know. Then one way the bias is your hem, and the fold going the other way holds your ribbon...Give me a day or two and I will do pictures of this method.

Comment

The doubled over ribbon would get my vote too. Looks nicer and sways better.
                              I don't bother with tape. I take my top trim ribbon which will cover the tops of the fringes and sew down only the top edge to my shawl. Then I fold in half each ribbon fringe piece and stick it under the trim and sew the bottom edge of the trim down over the fringes. I just lay the fringes in side by side one at a time as I sew. I like to cut notches into the ends of the fringes. Looks real nice.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X