Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• step help

Hello,
    could somebody explain me the basic step for fancy shawl dance, I just met with that lady whos supposed to teach me. But it wasn`t very helpful.
    She showed it to me, but said I was doing it wrong, I`m supposed to hop. Then she said nobody`s using it anyway but I need it to learn the other steps... eh? Said it took her years to learn that step and it was the same for all ladies and mens categories but fancy shawl dancers do it faster and on the balls of the feet. She jumped from one foot on the other doing like a lil hop in between. Could somebody help me with that?

Kind of sounds like she was trying to show you a Crow Hop? You cant really explain in words HOW to dance - Best suggestion I've got, is to watch how the other ladies are dancing while your at powwows, and maybe look up some videos on youtube or on here. With Fancy Shawl, youve got your straight songs (regular fancy beat), your crow hops, and your double-beats, and occassionally, a trick song, oh and a ruffle. Try searching those out and see if it helps. And practice, practice, practice.
    Walk softly, leave nothing but footprints....

Comment

Originally posted by Kamama View Post
      Kind of sounds like she was trying to show you a Crow Hop? You cant really explain in words HOW to dance - Best suggestion I've got, is to watch how the other ladies are dancing while your at powwows, and maybe look up some videos on youtube or on here. With Fancy Shawl, youve got your straight songs (regular fancy beat), your crow hops, and your double-beats, and occassionally, a trick song, oh and a ruffle. Try searching those out and see if it helps. And practice, practice, practice.
      Hi,
      thank you for your reply. She tried to show me how to dance to straight songs, and if I do what I remember, it does remind me of a crow hop but she said that was the basic step, which nobody used, but all styles need it.
      She said it took her about 5 years to figure it out for herself.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X