Crouching Dancer/ Hidden Butterfly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crouching Dancer/ Hidden Butterfly

When Fancy Shawlers are called in for exibition before song starts the dancers crouch down and cover their head with shawl and stay there until after the first break in song.

Ive seen some shawlers do this and other not.

Whats your preference?
    Of Course Doesn't Everyone?
    4.76%
    No what the heck do yah do that for?
    90.48%
    Sometimes, not when no one else does tho
    4.76%

The poll is expired.

I don't think I have ever seen that....
    Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I used to watch fancy shawl pretty close...

What part of the country you from?

Comment

Id like to know that too....the "which part of the country" question. Ive NEVER seen that---as in EVER never
      "Talk Is Fine- If You Got The Time, But I Ain't Got No Time To Spare...."

Comment

I have never seen anyone do this either.. is this something new???
        Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

was it cold?

Comment

Uh n ot to be rude, ugly, or mean but this sounds waaay haokie to me! Ive litterly been all over for pow-wow's and have not seen a thing like what you describe. I take that back ive seen some interesting things but it was from interesting people lol.
            I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Never did it. Once saw some girl do it and one of the other fancy shawl dancers (very nicely) asked her what she was doin and she said somethin like what you were talkin about with the chrysalis. She told her how the dance originated (not the butterfly storey). But the young Woman walked off in a huff thinkin she already knew it all. Sad...and uninformed.

Comment

All I can say is... Sorry... all I can say is... Ahem... All I can say is No I haven't seen that.
                I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
                  Never did it. Once saw some girl do it and one of the other fancy shawl dancers (very nicely) asked her what she was doin and she said somethin like what you were talkin about with the chrysalis. She told her how the dance originated (not the butterfly storey). But the young Woman walked off in a huff thinkin she already knew it all. Sad...and uninformed.
                  Surprisingly, that is something I have not seen yet in my neck of the woods. We have seen lots of hoky stuff and like the person you mentioned have tried to correct them politely but the advice is usually recieved with hostility.

Comment

Ummmmmm ok LMAO and I thought I'd seen it all ....... so when is she gonna tell us where's she from??

Comment

Don't recall ever seeing this.

Comment

Im from Southern Ohio, Most shawlers i see at events dont do this, and that is why i posted on here about it. Mere Curiosity
                        Very small handful i see doing it.

Comment

I have no idea whereThe girl I'd seen is from, never seen her or such actions again so she may not have been from around here. It was some time ago too cause I switched to buckskin nine yrs ago

Comment

Originally posted by Asmajol View Post
                            When Fancy Shawlers are called in for exibition before song starts the dancers crouch down and cover their head with shawl and stay there until after the first break in song.

Ive seen some shawlers do this and other not.

Whats your preference?
                            uhh.....not in the midwest, never even heard of that, was it a weekend mating ritual??? LOL seriously, i never seen that at any powwows i've been to...

Comment

Originally posted by thizgirlpowwows View Post
                              uhh.....not in the midwest, never even heard of that, was it a weekend mating ritual??? LOL seriously, i never seen that at any powwows i've been to...
                              I saw this in South Dakota once. But the girl was standing over a prairie dog hole and the prairie dog was biting her toe!!!

J/K thizgirlpowwows!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X