need help with leggings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with leggings

ok i want to make a real eye catching outfit for myself but im only 19 and dont have much experience on making my own. i was wondering what kind of material i would use to make leggings. in the past the materials i have used were not stiff enough and i really could use some help with that from the pros and also could i use the same material for the yolk and vest so it isnt son flimsy please help me with this

You did not say what kind of leggings you are making.
    Assuming you are making ones of cloth applique, you can use Heat-n-Bond Lite which is a double-sided adhesive stabilizer that you iron on. I use it on the back side of my base material which I then fuse to a medium weight canvas or duck cloth. You can also fuse on a layer of cotton calico to the canvas for a lining if you wish. I find this arrangement to give enough stiffness to hold leggings up by themselves. This is one method I use, there are others.

Comment

I usually use a sandwich of pellon and canvas duck.

Comment

I use my out side material, heavy interface and line with cotton broadcloth. Then I edge the whole thing with bias tape. These are stiff enough to stand up on their own. I've done this for both applique or beaded. When low on cash I have cut up a pair of my husbands old jeans instead of interface

Comment

Originally posted by shayshay08 View Post
          i was wondering what kind of material i would use to make leggings. in the past the materials i have used were not stiff enough and
          I like to use heavy interfacing because it's non-woven and won't shrink up like a cotton will. It's also really lightweight. But unless you're gonna wash them, anything heavy will do. Be sure to angle them in at the bottom or they'll be too wide and fall down over your moccasins.
          Janet Littlecrow
          Littlecrow Trading Post, LLC
          www.littlecrowtradingpost.com

Comment

ok it sure helped me now can you tell me what you mean by heavy interfacing is that a type of material or jus something heavy to put between cloth and the front of the legging/? sorry but i was very confused lol

Comment

Originally posted by shayshay08 View Post
              ok it sure helped me now can you tell me what you mean by heavy interfacing is that a type of material or jus something heavy to put between cloth and the front of the legging/? sorry but i was very confused lol
              If you got to your fabric store and ask for heavy interfacing they will show you. It's often white (sometimes black and sometimes iron on) It comes in a variety of stiffnesses...heavy being stiff. At my fabric store it is not with the fabrics but with the liners. When you see it you'll understand cause you wouldn't use it as a fabric. I think I could best describe it as feeling like a really stiff bounce sheet (for your laundry), looks like one too but way bigger.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, it's sometimes called Wonder-Under. That or it's called Heat Bond. I know Heat Bond comes as strip like a roll and works good for hemming. Wonder-Under found on a roll and looks like it has waxed paper on both sides. Peel the waxed paper off, iron it to one of your fabrics and when ur ready to join the inner and outer pieces, remove the other waxed paper, iron the pieces together and there u have ur leggings! LOL

it might help to leave some extra material outside of your design. the u can trim the excess to the form u'd like.

Oh yeah. The lightweight stuff works good to transfer ur designs if ur using applique.

I should moonlight a Joanne's Fabrics!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
                  I use my out side material, heavy interface and line with cotton broadcloth. Then I edge the whole thing with bias tape. These are stiff enough to stand up on their own. I've done this for both applique or beaded. When low on cash I have cut up a pair of my husbands old jeans instead of interface
                  This is strong enough for fully beaded leggings? :D I'd be excited about that. The pair I have was made with plastic canvas inbetween the outer fabric and lining. It's gotten old, and brittle and is now breaking above the heel :( I'm all for something that'll hold up better.
                  Kindness matters

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.