New Dancer Questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dancer Questions!

I just went to a pow wow a few days ago. I found a dancer there, we really enjoyed eachothers company. I offered her tobacco, and then she began to teach me more about dancing. I have a issue though, she can't tell me specifics about the regalia for my tribe (Blackfoot, Siksika). I can't find out anything along the lines of...how to make my own dress/shawl. Nothing fancy (haha), since I don't have a lot of money and I've never made anything before. Any links and or ideas?
    Earth teach me stillness as the
    grasses are stilled with light.Earth teach me suffering as old stones suffer with memory. Earth teach me humility as
    blossoms are humble with beginning.

Why do you think there specific designs of the Siksika people for the Fancy Shawl dance?

I've seen a Blackfoot website that said the Fancy Shawl dance originated with the Navajos.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

http://www.angelfire.com/ar/waakomimm/sikblf.html

sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry if I phrased my question wrong. I know there is no specific fancy shawl for Siksika, since yea it is Navajo but I am looking to put into traditional regalia of the Siksika, into my fancy shawl dress and shawl. I hope I'm being understood better?

Also, where can I learn about the dancing? Just watch youtube? Things go so fast in the videos, anyone know of other links and stuff?
        Earth teach me stillness as the
        grasses are stilled with light.Earth teach me suffering as old stones suffer with memory. Earth teach me humility as
        blossoms are humble with beginning.

Comment

You can get some influences from these photos for your own pattern. Make friends with somebody that likes to sew at home, hunt around second hand stores, Goodwill etc for materials for your shawl.

I will upload my video of Pechanga Powwow's Prettiest Shawl Contest...well, I can put that on my to-do list LOL

http://www.edwardcurtis.com/vintage/3925.html

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmilingOtter View Post
            I'm sorry if I phrased my question wrong. I know there is no specific fancy shawl for Siksika, since yea it is Navajo but I am looking to put into traditional regalia of the Siksika, into my fancy shawl dress and shawl. I hope I'm being understood better?

Also, where can I learn about the dancing? Just watch youtube? Things go so fast in the videos, anyone know of other links and stuff?
            Try here: http://www.blackfootcrossing.ca Curators are pretty cool folks.
            A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Comment

The CONTEST videos are FAST.

Instead, watch some Inter-Tribal dances and you can see the footwork (and arm motions) better.
              sigpic

Comment

You poor polack. You're so gonna get banned and u can't stop the process!

You can stay...but u can't stay here!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

I just went to a pow wow a few days ago. I found a dancer there, we really enjoyed eachothers company. I offered her tobacco, and then she began to teach me more about dancing. I have a issue though, she can't tell me specifics about the regalia for my tribe (Blackfoot, Siksika). I can't find out anything along the lines of...how to make my own dress/shawl. Nothing fancy (haha), since I don't have a lot of money and I've never made anything before. Any links and or ideas?
                  Have you contacted these folks yet?

http://www.naicco.org/

Comment

Hi, so FYI The Fancy Shawl Dance style did NOT originate with the Navajo. Dunno where you heard that information. The best way to learn about dance styles is to ask an elder/adult that dances the category. Although many dancers are shy but most are willing to help.
                    There are no specific Fancy Shawl designs for ANY tribe that I am aware of. It is a fairly new dance style to the circuit and there are many traditional people that still frown upon it. Lots of historical stuff and i don't really wanna do that lesson today.
                    But what I can tell you, Is to be original with your designs. The regalia is fairly easy to make and not as expensive as everyone charges. There are many forums here on powwows.com that have tutorials to show you how to make the regalia and what you need.
                    To learn the dance style the best way is to watch youtube videos that are out, there aren't any specific steps but there are some basics. Also watching yourself in a full length mirror helps just like it does with ballet or any other formal dance style.
                    Is this any help to you?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X