Optin Monster

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you wear beaded ropes or ribbon hairties?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you wear beaded ropes or ribbon hairties?

I wear ribbon, but I'm hoping one day to make ropes for myself. I'm working on some ropes for one of my orders. Boy are they a pain in the rump. I'm almost finished with one of them. I've seen a few this past summer that were completely peyote stiched. Now that's dedication:p

my daughter wears ribbon, but i would perfer the ropes, but no one knows how to make them, old style, anyone that i know. but i think they look better than ribbon.

Comment

Ribbons... I don't think I've actuall seen the beaded ropes before.

Comment

<<< BEADED ROPES!

Comment

Here's some I found on Ebay. Beaded ropes don't look like they would be too difficult to make. What I would love to be able to do is plaiting quills to make a quilled rope (more like a string though) to hang from a quilled barrette.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=13751

I'll just have to do with the beaded for now. Besides, nobody around my area has them. They should look fine with a jingle dress.

Comment

I use a type of ribbon but will be doing ropes for my next beadwork.
            Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

Who can tell me where the beaded ropes come from? What tribe? How did they originate?

I'll tell you later why I'm asking this question.

Tha Pro

Comment

ive actually noticed some people with colorful elastic wrapped aroung their braids -->hmm it actually looks good

Comment

beaded ropes

Comment

I wear ribbon.Haven't seen rope yet.
                    Err body in da club eatin chips!

A part of me feels so bad but ooh not that bad

Comment

Originally posted by powwowpro
                      Who can tell me where the beaded ropes come from? What tribe? How did they originate?

I'll tell you later why I'm asking this question.

Tha Pro
                      I'll bite, who, what, where, and why or why not....

Comment

Lol ndnmba.......you're a sucker.......lol.

Jokes......no, really, I would like to know who here, who wears ropes, know where they come from? What did they look like originally, and what tribes wore them?

It bugs me cuz this is turning into another powwow "fad", where people start wearing them cuz they think they look cool or whatever and they don't know where they come from or what tribes used to wear them. I happen to belong to a tribe where the women wore ropes and it offends me to see them popping up on everyone that just thinks its cool. I also have friends who admire the look but won't wear them cuz they are not from their tribe........those friends I admire greatly cuz they are sticking to what they know........and sticking to their own style and their own tribe's designs and whatnot.

So, again I want to ask.........who wears ropes and knows where they come from? What tribes wore them and what did they look like originally? If you don't know, then maybe you shouldn't be wearing them........ya think?????

Comment

this is the age old debate and I have to comment!

i personally find it admirable to do the "cool" thing and adopt things from other tribes that you feel describes who YOU are. For example, my husband is Cree and I am Iroquois...and everything that I wear when I dance pow wow is from another nation and I chose EVERYTHING because I thought it was cool.. Not without finding out at least a little bit of background info first though....

We are not a historical culture...we are a progressive and contemporary culture...heck if we all stayed what we were in the past women wouldn;t even dance.

Not to dis what your opinions are at all but just so you know...some people wear other nations dress because they admire connect with and respect that nation.

Amen. :)
                          A wise man once posted....

"those who give you grief can't stop the sun from rising or setting....the only one who can...made you the way you are...I'd say...He knows what He is doing...."

..."take care how you place your moccasins upon the earth. Step with care, for the faces of the future generations are looking up from earth waiting their turn for life."
                          ~Chief Oren Lyons, Onondaga

Comment

Until all different tribes agree with you meetmeinthegarden, I don't think the "debate" will die down. There are still many tribes protective of their ways and style of dress and that is their right. I don't know if this an "older" way of thinking, but it has it's merit. I believe that once someone "borrows" without asking another tribe's ways or dress, then it eventually loses something in the translation somewhere along the line. I don't want that to happen to my ways, so I'm one of those that is pretty protective of my tribe's style of dress.

Of course we are a progressive culture, no one is arguing that. I know that the original ropes were made of dyed quills and had fluffs on the ends and belongs to the plains tribes. Sandra Black Bear still wears this style when she dances and her ropes are beautiful. I think the beaded ropes are pretty also, some that have neon or different colors of fluffs on the ends like Chepa Two Eagles are an example of the progressiveness of our culture and using newer materials to make our things.

I have to side with powwowpro on this one though. When people take on other people's style of dress without knowing where those things come from, it makes me wonder what is so lacking about their own tribe that they have to borrow other people's ways. At the very least, find out where these items come from that are being "borrowed" or "adopted" or whatever you want to call it. Have some respect for other tribal ways and find these things out before you start making them or wearing them.

Comment

Originally posted by meetmeinthegarden
                              this is the age old debate and I have to comment!

i personally find it admirable to do the "cool" thing and adopt things from other tribes that you feel describes who YOU are. For example, my husband is Cree and I am Iroquois...and everything that I wear when I dance pow wow is from another nation and I chose EVERYTHING because I thought it was cool.. Not without finding out at least a little bit of background info first though....

We are not a historical culture...we are a progressive and contemporary culture...heck if we all stayed what we were in the past women wouldn;t even dance.

Not to dis what your opinions are at all but just so you know...some people wear other nations dress because they admire connect with and respect that nation.

Amen. :)

All I can say is WOW!! Sounds like the same thing White Hobbyists say when they try to justify taking whatever they want from our culture. I am so offended by your lack of respect in those comments that I am literally speechless. Well, not quite speechless, I really agree with the comments made by 2-cents, he/she made some good points. I wonder why so many people who dance in pow-wow "styles" that don't originate from their tribe, don't use their traditional tribal designs for their outfits/beadwork.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X