Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I too old to learn?

Hello.
    I'd just like to say, I'm new to this site, so please don't be offended if there's something I'm supposed to do before I ask a question. ((Sorry in advance if there is!!))

But I am really curious. I have always wanted to dance Fancy Shawl, however I've never had the support of my family to learn, and could never get an outfit. Plus, I fear I would mess up everything if I made one myself.

I am now a 19 year old in college, and would like to learn since I have the time to learn now that I am away from home. But a very deep fear of mine is that I'm too old to learn, and will make a fool of myself by attempting to dance.

My reason for this is...well, I miss home, and dancing has always been something I have loved to watch, and always wanted to do. I guess it's a way to take the reservation with me while I'm at college? Anyways...

Please help? I would be forever grateful to someone if they answered my question!

Never Too Old

19 is a great age to learn, but fancy shawl is a complex step so I recommend lots of practice. Getting an outfit may prove difficult if you cant sew and can be quite expensive even if you decide to make your own. When you're at a powwow some dancers will show you some moves if you ask nicely. I have little kids shadowing me at nearly every traditional pow wow I go to but there isn't much time at comps. Nobody wants to tire themselves out before their category is up. Best of luck!!
    Niin sa, Chi anung

Comment

Originally posted by anishinabealltheway View Post
      19 is a great age to learn, but fancy shawl is a complex step so I recommend lots of practice. Getting an outfit may prove difficult if you cant sew and can be quite expensive even if you decide to make your own. When you're at a powwow some dancers will show you some moves if you ask nicely. I have little kids shadowing me at nearly every traditional pow wow I go to but there isn't much time at comps. Nobody wants to tire themselves out before their category is up. Best of luck!!
      Thank you so much!

Comment

Attend as much pow wows as you can, and watch some of the dancers. If you can't go to pow wows, there are Youtube videos to watch. Just practice, practice, practice in the comfort of your home until you feel you are ready to venture out.

Outfits can be costly, so start planning early!
        Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

You're definitely not too old to learn! I have a strong believe that you're never too old to learn anything in life. There are a few girls in my area ranging from 26 to mid-30's who are just starting out with fancy. As long as your heart is in it and you continue to learn and practice, you'll be great.

As said previously, practice, practice practice! Youtube videos help a lot after the powwow season. I came across of a few videos of dancers who even did closeup vids of their legs so that you could get a clean view of their footwork without being distracted by their lovely regalia.

Aside from that, practice, exercise, and talk to other dancers in your area/tribe for tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipta View Post
            Thank you so much!
            You're welcome!
            Niin sa, Chi anung

Comment

Never to late, practice your moves, listen to some great jamz , think about your outfit it will come together. Most most of all enjoy yourself!
              I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.