Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Judging dancing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Judging dancing

    So I would like to know ppl...when you are judging other dancers how do you choose...If you have an awesome dancer with only a medi-ocre regalia, nothing spectacular against an alright dancer with an awesome regalia...who would you choose for first? :p :devil

  • #2
    Dancer everytime. That is what I figure I am there for.. the dancing. I don't care what kind of glitz and glimmer there is.. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I always look for the spirit of the dancer, are they enjoying the song, good attitude.... footwork.. any new moves?....and of course always on beat and stops are excellent. ;)
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

    Comment


    • #3
      I agree with Mato, the best dancer regardless of how great their outfit is should win. I also notice who actually dances during grand entry, no walking!, and if I see them during intertribals. If they walk grand entry then go sit in the stands until contest or exhibition they get marked down by me. I've seen some girls who you'll see the first night cuz their contest is that night, and then you won't see them again till the last night when they come to get their money. They never intertribal, and the only time they go all out is contest! I have no problem with people dancing for money for a living, but you can still powwow for the right reasons and get out there and dance and make money!!

      Comment


      • #4
        foowork, footwork, footwork, that i essential when i judge, not whether they are wearing a flashy outfit. also the beat and how they flow with the song, endurance, i rather see them dance to two fast songs, thats how you would easily determine your winners.:p

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ogapahndn
          I also notice who actually dances during grand entry, no walking!, and if I see them during intertribals. If they walk grand entry then go sit in the stands until contest or exhibition they get marked down by me. I've seen some girls who you'll see the first night cuz their contest is that night, and then you won't see them again till the last night when they come to get their money. They never intertribal, and the only time they go all out is contest

          I totally agree!!!!!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            i look at footwork, and the type of the song whether or not it is appropriate for that category. I never look at how flashy their regalias are. Because i have heard stories of championship dancers who do have flashy regalias that only come out from their chairs or from the stands when it is time to collect the money. I also look for the dancers who takes part throughout the whole entire pow-wow through grandentries, intertribals, and friendship songs. I also think that all judges should look at all dancers equally, and not if their family is well known or not. thats my opinion. because i am a good dancer and i think i can place, but at some pow-wows that i attend, i always see the same judges picking the same dancers due to who their family is or where they come from.
            *Stephanie

            R.I.P Alex Archie
            March 12, 1966 to May 7, 2003
            ***AIDS***
            Creator Please Help Us Find A Cure..

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ogapahndn
              I agree with Mato, the best dancer regardless of how great their outfit is should win. I also notice who actually dances during grand entry, no walking!, and if I see them during intertribals. If they walk grand entry then go sit in the stands until contest or exhibition they get marked down by me. I've seen some girls who you'll see the first night cuz their contest is that night, and then you won't see them again till the last night when they come to get their money. They never intertribal, and the only time they go all out is contest! I have no problem with people dancing for money for a living, but you can still powwow for the right reasons and get out there and dance and make money!!
              I totally agree with you .. you hit the spot!! *S* but along with judging.. i do look at outfits, i know it takes alotta talent, but how much effort you put into it... u know? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't show up to a formal bonquet with sweats on.. hope you don't take that the wrong way.. but think about it.. :D
              "Smile If U's A Hottie" :50:

              "Good Better Best Never Let It Rest Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best" :D

              Comment


              • #8
                Xammy, I understand what you mean. Let me clarify my point. I don't look totally at outfit, as in I don't judge someone down for having a ribbonwork outfit as opposed to fully beaded. But, the outfit must be in good shape! Which was your point. I totally agree! If your stuff is torn or in bad shape then you should take the time and fix it. Here's a little food for thought on picking a flashy outfit to win..... let's say the person with the flashy outfit bought their outfit and is an OK dancer, then the other person put their heart and soul into making an outfit that isn't as flashy but has all the moves. Now who do you vote to win? I realise it's about impossible to know who made their own outfit at a powwow, but just giving you something to think about. That is why I try to put more emphasis on dancing ability when I judge.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ogapahndn
                  Here's a little food for thought on picking a flashy outfit to win..... let's say the person with the flashy outfit bought their outfit and is an OK dancer, then the other person put their heart and soul into making an outfit that isn't as flashy but has all the moves. Now who do you vote to win? I realise it's about impossible to know who made their own outfit at a powwow, but just giving you something to think about. That is why I try to put more emphasis on dancing ability when I judge.
                  My thoughts exactly! That's what I'm sayin! *L* That they at least put thought into their outfits.. u know? And that they make the effort to look good ;) I know what you mean! :Thumbs
                  "Smile If U's A Hottie" :50:

                  "Good Better Best Never Let It Rest Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best" :D

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think that I would choose the dancer who dances the best. NOt everyone can make deadly regalia, but for sure it better be well put together and taken care of. The thing I notice too is that a lot of the time people don't even notice other dancers they only pick ones because they are known from certain families...well if I c a dancer get bucked off on a song and maybe she is from one of those families and sure she can dance I will not pick her over the other dancer, She wasn't feelin tha song if she gets bucked off...I also make sure that they know how to dance all the dances and I notice if they are out there during intertribals etc... that's my thoughts.. ;)
                    aLWAys KEep yOUr werds SOFT AN sweET, jUST iN cASE U HAFTA eat THEM...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      For those of you who actually notice the dancers dance during intertribals.. where are you when it comes to judging?? *LMAO* there are few judges that i know of that keep that into consideration.. u people should come down here! *L*
                      "Smile If U's A Hottie" :50:

                      "Good Better Best Never Let It Rest Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best" :D

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        3 elements of judging: Regalia-when you get out there to compete, look your best. If you are going to compete then you keep up with the times or get left behind. Your regalia represents your tribel, your family and you. 2. Knowledge of song-stop on time, know when the drum beat changes and change and flow with it, know the different styles to your category. Whatever song the drum gives you, you should know how to dance it. 3. Style-have your own style and dance it with a champion spirit. The best of your abilities should go into every aspect of your dancing: regalia,knowledge,and style.
                        Also, whether anyone will truthfully admit it or not, be kind to people: everybody. Give everyone a handshake and a smile, it doesn't cost anything. Whether they vote for you or not, be a good sport about it. Everything about you will reflect to those around you, so be the best you can be in every area.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          :clap: Goose, your to cool.:p Along with all of you I look for staminah. The ability to maintain the same energy thru out the song. I see some with strong starts, then fizzel towards the end of the song.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            good replys from the last 2, STamina is hard to come by, I know one dancer here in BC and while her style isn't what I prefer she has soooo much stamina, she never looks tired. I respect that about her.
                            aLWAys KEep yOUr werds SOFT AN sweET, jUST iN cASE U HAFTA eat THEM...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I totally agree with Goose, all three elements are important and I try to weight them equally when I judge. If you are going to COMPETE, note COMPETE, then your outfit does and should matter. I taught myself how to bead and sew because I didn't have anyone to do it for me and I was too broke to pay someone. I literally bought one or two hanks of beads at time until I had enough to make an outfit. Anyone can do the same and will if they really want to COMPETE.

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Loading...

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X