crow hop question- ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crow hop question- ?

hi all ya'll fancy shawl dancers. i just started going to this site. but i came here looking for an answer to this question-
    here goes, i dont know if this is a dance that has always been done by certain tribes or if its just a powwow fad.
    heres my question: has anybody seen tha crow hop done at powwows this year?
    i didnt see it done at powwows last year, but this year everyones doing it.
    im a fancy dancer, and i want to know what im doing before i participate in a dance. and i also want to know where it originates before i take part in it, and i also compete and since this "new" crow hop is now done during competition i think that the dance should be explained by the emcee or somethin before all the fancy shawl dancers are expected to participate.

can anyone shed any light on the subject. what tribe it originates from? or if it is just a powwow fad?

p.s. first time i saw it was at a florida powwow this yr. which i have attended for many years.

well ever since i have been powwowin i have seen the crow hop done.i see it done @ almost every powwow i go to.
    i dont know where it came from or anything but i like dancing to it & its fun.
    who lives in a pineapple under the sea? man i wish it was me!

Comment

I think what you're talking about is the double-beat crow hop done and originated by Crows from Montana. I'm not sure though, you just say "crow-hop". The regular Crow hop has been done for many years by a lot of tribes. But the "Crow" Crow hop sounds more like a "49" beat and you hold your shawl down and kinda skip to the beat, you don't necessarily flail around like you would with a regular crow hop song.
      Doing it during a fancy shawl contest was something that Gladys Jefferson and Sandra Shields of Crow Agency would do back during the 60's with their shawls.
      I suppose it is something new to other tribes who haven't seen it yet but for some reason it's taking off like wildfire.
      Just remember to do it right or you'll look like a fool! *LOL* That goes for grass dancers and others too!

Comment

good reply. I think that she is talking about the crow double beat too. I love to dance this, I was taught by my uncle before he passed away, but this song and dancing to it just lifts my spirit and makes me happy. just try to keep your feet close to the ground, no hopping around, and just glide. On the down beats you should be "bending?" down . You're not supposed to go in circles or move all over in different directions...I was taught "no fancy footwork" so I hope that helps.
        aLWAys KEep yOUr werds SOFT AN sweET, jUST iN cASE U HAFTA eat THEM...

Comment

Originally posted by springflower
          hi all ya'll fancy shawl dancers. i just started going to this site. but i came here looking for an answer to this question-
          here goes, i dont know if this is a dance that has always been done by certain tribes or if its just a powwow fad.
          heres my question: has anybody seen tha crow hop done at powwows this year?
          i didnt see it done at powwows last year, but this year everyones doing it.
          im a fancy dancer, and i want to know what im doing before i participate in a dance. and i also want to know where it originates before i take part in it, and i also compete and since this "new" crow hop is now done during competition i think that the dance should be explained by the emcee or somethin before all the fancy shawl dancers are expected to participate.

can anyone shed any light on the subject. what tribe it originates from? or if it is just a powwow fad?

p.s. first time i saw it was at a florida powwow this yr. which i have attended for many years.
          Yeah I've seen crow hops at all the powwows I go to they give the song to us everytime. It's been around for a long time...and it's good to dance to.
          undefinedundefinedundefined~*[email protected]~*[email protected]!N3TT3~*~J0HN$0N~*~

Comment

Is there more than one way to dance the crow hop?

Comment

Originally posted by ajidamoo
              Is there more than one way to dance the crow hop?
              Like what do you mean? Like dancin moves?
              undefinedundefinedundefined~*[email protected]~*[email protected]!N3TT3~*~J0HN$0N~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Sharon Johnson
                Like what do you mean? Like dancin moves?
                Yes, that's what I mean. I want to know exactly how you do it. I'll be competing soon, and I've been out of the circuit for a very long time. This will actually be the second competition for me. At the last powwow, the girls who were in my category didn't look like they were doing the crow hop, but they won. I just want to do it right and try my best.

Comment

Bingo_Orphan explained it very well. If the way I understand your question "the other crow hop" is the double beat. Like was said.. you don't hop around.. you more glide.. keep your feet closer to the ground and like short skip with an abrupt haltint movement. Arms are more down.. not holding shawl up but elbows bent a little back so looking at the shawl from behind you can see them and would make you were seeing wings.
                  Best thing to do is see a video. The new fancy shawl one sold in the pw.com store shows it. <--------- HEY BOSS.......YOU SEE THE PLUG I JUST GAVE? YOU GONNA GIVE ME A COMMISSION???

:rofl2:
                  "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X