New to Fancy Shawl Dacning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Fancy Shawl Dacning!

Hello, My Name is Ashlen. I am Oklahoma Choctaw and I have wanted to Fancy Shawl dance for years and have worked my way up to learning as much as I can on the dance, I have been to many powwows and just get excited to get out there. I am wanting to start up on my own regalia and make it all from myself. Can anyone please send me patterns or any helpful information as to making up the entire regalia. Jewelery, dress or skit? Leggings? any and all information would be helpful.

Originally posted by DancingBear008 View Post
    Hello, My Name is Ashlen. I am Oklahoma Choctaw and I have wanted to Fancy Shawl dance for years I am wanting to start up on my own regalia and make it all from myself. any and all information would be helpful.
    Ashland,

I'm happy another young person would like to enter the dance arena. In this day of the internet, it is easy to say, "Can someone help me" and expect instant gratification.

Consider going about it the right way. Identify someone who has been fancy shawl dancing awhile or used to fancy dance. Go to this person with tobacco and a small food basket and ask if they will help you with all the things you have listed. Establish a relationship with this person as they show you what to wear, how to obtain it and how to dance. When you are ready to enter the arena, make it special and acknowledge this person publically with a giveaway. I promise, this will be more meaningful that going the internet route.

This is how it things should be done.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X