Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work in progess / Regalia

Hi
    Last edited by KaliskaWolf; 07-09-2018, 04:43 PM.

Ok. I'll do it.

If you walk into Shakopee, or any other powwow the caliber of Shakopee, they're going to point at you and talk under their breath. You're going to a powwow with Indians with feathers, not a function of Indians with a dot on their foreheads.

That's just truth.

Now, do yourself a favor. Wear jeans and a tshirt. Take a sweater because it will probably be cool at night. When you get there, buy a tshirt with an Indian motif. They won't look at you and whisper under their breath.

I would tell my granddaughter the same thing I'm saying to you. Anger yourself with my words now or reflect on my words when you are there.

JD

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
      Ok. I'll do it.

If you walk into Shakopee, or any other powwow the caliber of Shakopee, they're going to point at you and talk under their breath. You're going to a powwow with Indians with feathers, not a function of Indians with a dot on their foreheads.

That's just truth.

Now, do yourself a favor. Wear jeans and a tshirt. Take a sweater because it will probably be cool at night. When you get there, buy a tshirt with an Indian motif. They won't look at you and whisper under their breath.

I would tell my granddaughter the same thing I'm saying to you. Anger yourself with my words now or reflect on my words when you are there.

JD

Thank you Joe's Dad, my outfit was far from completed (I intended to bead a collar around my shoulders and and broderies to the shawl, add feathers and more jewels and ornaments I have from my nanny), but from what you said I'm just gonna keep the outfit for myself and not wear it at the PowWow. I'm perfectly aware this is not an event for indians with bindi and stuff, my father (lakota and jicarilla) used to lots of PowWow but I don't have him anymore to guide me. So thanks for your advice!

Comment

Originally posted by KaliskaWolf View Post
        Thank you Joe's Dad, my outfit was far from completed (I intended to bead a collar around my shoulders and and broderies to the shawl, add feathers and more jewels and ornaments I have from my nanny), but from what you said I'm just gonna keep the outfit for myself and not wear it at the PowWow. I'm perfectly aware this is not an event for indians with bindi and stuff, my father (lakota and jicarilla) used to lots of PowWow but I don't have him anymore to guide me. So thanks for your advice!
        Thanks for understanding my words weren't meant to be harsh.

Even today, when you walk into unfamiliar territory to dance, no matter your experience, there are many eyes on you. If you show you know the ways, or respect the ways, it's much easier to be be accepted. Go enjoy yourself. Dance when offered to dance. Look at the dancers. Even ask questions. But above all else, don't outdo the dancer if it's your first time.

Enjoy yourself.

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Northern Cree host drum this year at Shakopee, just saying, hehehehe
          lisaironmaker

Comment

Originally posted by LISA IRONMAKER View Post
            Northern Cree host drum this year
            Sigh, would like to hear them live.
            Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
            Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
            Show me, and I will understand.
            Involve me, and I will learn.”
            Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
            Courage to change the things I can,
            And wisdom to know the difference.
            Living one day at a time,
            Enjoying one moment at a time,
            Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
            (Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)

Comment

Originally posted by LISA IRONMAKER View Post
              Northern Cree host drum this year at Shakopee, just saying, hehehehe
              What's up, Lisa Ironmaker. Northern Cree, eh? Years ago, go to sit between Blacklodge and Blackstone, with Northern Cree and Souther Cree on the other side.

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                What's up, Lisa Ironmaker. Northern Cree, eh? Years ago, go to sit between Blacklodge and Blackstone, with Northern Cree and Souther Cree on the other side.
                JD whatcha been doing this summer? up to no good? hehehehe, IKR heck yah jam between all them dope drums. I plan on hitting up Shakopee this yr though cant wait excited, hehehehehe
                lisaironmaker

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.