X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LISA IRONMAKER
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
    What's up, Lisa Ironmaker. Northern Cree, eh? Years ago, go to sit between Blacklodge and Blackstone, with Northern Cree and Souther Cree on the other side.
    JD whatcha been doing this summer? up to no good? hehehehe, IKR heck yah jam between all them dope drums. I plan on hitting up Shakopee this yr though cant wait excited, hehehehehe

Leave a comment:

• Joe's Dad
    replied
    Originally posted by LISA IRONMAKER View Post
    Northern Cree host drum this year at Shakopee, just saying, hehehehe
    What's up, Lisa Ironmaker. Northern Cree, eh? Years ago, go to sit between Blacklodge and Blackstone, with Northern Cree and Souther Cree on the other side.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Arrow
    replied
    Originally posted by LISA IRONMAKER View Post
    Northern Cree host drum this year
    Sigh, would like to hear them live.

Leave a comment:

• LISA IRONMAKER
    replied
    Northern Cree host drum this year at Shakopee, just saying, hehehehe

Leave a comment:

• Joe's Dad
    replied
    Originally posted by KaliskaWolf View Post
    Thank you Joe's Dad, my outfit was far from completed (I intended to bead a collar around my shoulders and and broderies to the shawl, add feathers and more jewels and ornaments I have from my nanny), but from what you said I'm just gonna keep the outfit for myself and not wear it at the PowWow. I'm perfectly aware this is not an event for indians with bindi and stuff, my father (lakota and jicarilla) used to lots of PowWow but I don't have him anymore to guide me. So thanks for your advice!
    Thanks for understanding my words weren't meant to be harsh.

Even today, when you walk into unfamiliar territory to dance, no matter your experience, there are many eyes on you. If you show you know the ways, or respect the ways, it's much easier to be be accepted. Go enjoy yourself. Dance when offered to dance. Look at the dancers. Even ask questions. But above all else, don't outdo the dancer if it's your first time.

Enjoy yourself.

Leave a comment:

• KaliskaWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
    Ok. I'll do it.

If you walk into Shakopee, or any other powwow the caliber of Shakopee, they're going to point at you and talk under their breath. You're going to a powwow with Indians with feathers, not a function of Indians with a dot on their foreheads.

That's just truth.

Now, do yourself a favor. Wear jeans and a tshirt. Take a sweater because it will probably be cool at night. When you get there, buy a tshirt with an Indian motif. They won't look at you and whisper under their breath.

I would tell my granddaughter the same thing I'm saying to you. Anger yourself with my words now or reflect on my words when you are there.

JD

Thank you Joe's Dad, my outfit was far from completed (I intended to bead a collar around my shoulders and and broderies to the shawl, add feathers and more jewels and ornaments I have from my nanny), but from what you said I'm just gonna keep the outfit for myself and not wear it at the PowWow. I'm perfectly aware this is not an event for indians with bindi and stuff, my father (lakota and jicarilla) used to lots of PowWow but I don't have him anymore to guide me. So thanks for your advice!

Leave a comment:

• Joe's Dad
    replied
    Ok. I'll do it.

If you walk into Shakopee, or any other powwow the caliber of Shakopee, they're going to point at you and talk under their breath. You're going to a powwow with Indians with feathers, not a function of Indians with a dot on their foreheads.

That's just truth.

Now, do yourself a favor. Wear jeans and a tshirt. Take a sweater because it will probably be cool at night. When you get there, buy a tshirt with an Indian motif. They won't look at you and whisper under their breath.

I would tell my granddaughter the same thing I'm saying to you. Anger yourself with my words now or reflect on my words when you are there.

JD

Leave a comment:

• KaliskaWolf
    started a topic Work in progess / Regalia

Work in progess / Regalia

Hi
    Last edited by KaliskaWolf; 07-09-2018, 04:43 PM.

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.