butterfly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• butterfly

Is it okay to do a shawl in the shape of a butterfly? I just wanted to know in case it might be disrespectful.

the real background to womans fancy shawl dance is that back in the day, there were a group of women from Crow country started to dance, and wanted to have that same bounce as the males. So they did, then came the steps, then spinning. It was hit, women's lib-'WOMENS FANCY DANCE WAS BORN', no shawl was added then. Ask anyone who would know the real definition of it, who have been in powwows for many of years. It has nothing to do with the butterfly. Or a women coming out of a cacoon or whatever it is, believe me?
    So as for your shawl idea, in my opinion go right ahead, butterfly, eagle, whatever....
    :)

Comment

thanks for your reply! :) Now I can make me a sweet outfit.

Comment

That is a very unique idea, in a good way. Don't worry I'm not going to copy, so don't get mad. I heard that the dance started when women would decorate their buffalo robes very elaborately so to show off their decorative skills and their robes they started the dance. That is what I heard as to how the dance started, so don't start to chew me out. :Yell I guess every nation has their own version.
        If you allow the world to change you, only then can you change the world....

Comment

I've heard the butterfly story too.

But I've also heard that women orginally dressed up like the men's fancy and beat them out in competition.
          Don't ever stop dancing

Comment

Oh yeah I've seen a shawl like that...it looks pretty cool...like the whole thing is the butterfly and the applique work is like all the lil parts and colors on the wings. I think thats a awesome idea for a shawl! :D

Comment

I've seen 3 or 4 made like that and I haven't liked any of them, but that's just me.

Comment

I think it would be beautiful!!!
                "Do you love me because I am beautiful or am I beautiful because you love me?" ~Cinderella
                Obsession is an action word...
                "I !!! and all things PINK!!!
                This is for you Prince Charming....
                Make Love :KISS001: not war..... :war00000:

Comment

I think that every shawl is beautiful because each maker designs and makes them to their like and puts their heart and soul into every stitch, so to each their own. I just love to look at everyone's shawl, and admire. I hardly ever critique or say, "What is that?" I don't think it's right for anyone to do that to anyone's shawl. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion and their way to look at things.
                  If you allow the world to change you, only then can you change the world....

Comment

Put up a pic when your done!
                    To each there own. I like" oooing" and" awwing "at great out fits. But I try and not disrespect any ones regalia. We all started out some where. I've looked back at some pictures of me and thought, geeez. It takes a lot of time and money to put together regalia. Money is not some thing we all have. But you dont notice if you see that some one that has the heart and dances with every thing they have inside.

Comment

I don't know I just see girls with a design of a butterfly if that's what your talking about.
                      undefinedundefinedundefined~*[email protected]~*[email protected]!N3TT3~*~J0HN$0N~*~

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X