How do you sidestep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you sidestep?

Which way do you like better? Why do you sidestep the way you do?
    I keep my feet together and more flat on the floor.
    41.96%
    I go up on my tip-toes.
    22.32%
    I'm still practicing the sidestep.
    16.96%
    I'm not a jingle dress dancer but thought I'd check out this thread-none of the above.
    18.75%

I have been jingle dancing for a while but still the sidestep is somewhat of a stranger to me. I dance with my feet together and them on the ground.. I dunno why i just think that on the tip toes it is harder.

-Kelli
    If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

Yeah I agree Kelli, it is harder on my calves and ankles to go up on my tiptoes. I feel wobbly also.

I think keeping your feet on the ground looks better. See, I just started dancing jingle in the circle recently, and I've noticed a lot of ladies who go up on their tip toes. I learned to keep your feet flat, which I intend to do. What do you see around where you dance?

Comment

I've been dancing jingle for about 10 years now. I've tried the other variations but like this one: I keep my feet together flat on the ground and make little "scoots". It looks graceful and is not so tiring on my calves.

Comment

I have to agree with Czechy, if I'm showing someone how to side step, I always show them all the diff variations, but I put a lil more emphasis on the flat one. I do think it looks more graceful and fluid.
          TARHEEL BORN, TARHEEL BRED, WHEN I DIE I'LL BE TARHEEL DEAD!

MizzQaqimat's Space

Comment

ChenoaNativeGirl I thought you were a fancy shawl dancer?? :Thinking
            "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Mato, I am a fancy shawl dancer, lol. I still watch jingle though. Remember at CIS this year? I taught some of the classes on jingle dress construction, fancy shawl regalia, and how to dance jingle and fancy shawl, lol.
              TARHEEL BORN, TARHEEL BRED, WHEN I DIE I'LL BE TARHEEL DEAD!

MizzQaqimat's Space

Comment

i just keep my feet flat on the floor and together and slide
                /scoo..its killer on the calves but think of it this way at least your legs
                are getting the best workout...

Comment

Yeah I too keep my feet together, flat on the floor...but for whatever reason it doesn't make my calves tired. Guess I'm lucky.

Comment

sidestepper

I do it the way high kind....the tippy toes work best for me....and yeah i may be the best shawler and also the best jingler around for miles.....been dance a long while so i know whats good and whats not...so thats my type of dancin:Chatter
                    IM THE BEST IM THE BEST!!!

Comment

ok......... like i said the tippy toes is soooooooooooo hard for me on my calves... I am doing a competition powwow this weekend and i imagine that there will be the side step.. so if ya'll see me there i'll be side steppin with my feet on the floor!!!!!

-Kelli
                      If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

One step at a time!!:D

Comment

The side step is a shuffle close to the ground. Traditionally, the feet are not to leave the ground because we are to be connected to mother earth at all times when doing the side step.

The step on the tippy toes is the more contemporary/modern step which, In my opinion should be treated separately, because Jingle dress dancers are to be humble, not to stick out and try to be noticed, because we have a responsibility for healing, that is what the jingle dress is for.

Comment

My daughter does the side step in one of the most difficult ways, which is difficult on the calves, but is beautiful. It is not on the tiptoes, but not completely flat. Feet together, never leaving the floor. When I judge I always give more points for those that do this step in this style because I know the level of difficulty is much higher. I only see a few girls do it well, right with the drum and never faltering. But wow, when it is done right it is a sight to see!

Comment

I agree with Majii.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X