Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beadwork sets & Dresses

Ladies:
    What about having different beadwork sets with each dress for each session? I see so many beadwork sets that need rest because they are worn all weekend with a couple of dresses. It is classy when you see nice beadwork specifically for one dress - for each session. It shows the time and effort put into each outfit, not just "put-together" dresses.

I only have one set of beadwork to go with a few dresses. I don't have the time or the patience to bead all the time so as much as I like the sound having a different set of beadwork for each dress, it's not happening.

More power to the ladies who do! :Thumbs
    Hockey is soul food.

Comment

i have one set, wish I had the time to do more.
      "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

I'm not sure how one person is more classy than another person for having more dresses, sets of beadworks, etc.

More time and effort may be recognized.
        Unless of course beadwork/dresses are bought from others. In that case, the person behind the scene should be recognized for their efforts in making that person look 'classy.'

Comment

Let me explain myself. Take for instance, Lillian Gadwa, Alanna Tootoosis, Yvette Ewalk and many others - beautiful beadwork with each dress. NOT, many dresses for one set of beadwork. Time and effort into each outfit. That makes all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Oji_Flava
            I'm not sure how one person is more classy than another person for having more dresses, sets of beadworks, etc.

Unless of course beadwork/dresses are bought from others. In that case, the person behind the scene should be recognized for their efforts in making that person look 'classy.'
            I agree. Also the fact that there are people who do not sew or do beadwork. But what they produce at their own time and pace and skill is their own creation. I for one like to sew and do beadwork but I make time for sewing more than the beadwork. raisin my girls and my full time job dont leave me much time. My 13 yr old did her set of beadwork and its not all that, but she did it and she wears it proudly ;) :)
            Last edited by ojibwaysweetie; 06-03-2004, 08:55 PM.
            "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

That would be nice to see one person with lots of dresses and beadwork with each. But then it would also be cool to see someone who had a couple dresses (with different colors) that still looked good with the same set of beadwork.

I only got one dress and no beadwork. I got issues with beading, mainly watery eyes, a temper and way too much energy. My mom is making beadwork for my new dress though, I'm going to try to help her.
              Last edited by Anishinaabe_Kwezanz; 06-03-2004, 06:06 PM.
              "If dancing were any easier it would be called football."

Anonymous

Comment

Last edited by Roobz; 08-28-2007, 03:47 AM.

Comment

I also agree wit oji flava and ojibwaysweetie :Hammer
                  ¤×wHÿ ÐîÐ ÝØÜ lêåVÊ mÉ¿ ×Whÿ ÐÏÐ ÿôù GÕ¿ ×MÃýßë §ÖmÊÐÅÿ ÏLL uÑÐ讧TªñÐ ßÜt ѺW ¡ ÐØñt kñºw-פ

~*LiL MizZ JiNgLe StyLeZ*~

JUSS SING ME A REAL SUHWEET ROUNDANCE SONG & IM URZ 4EVA BABE
                  :24:

Comment

Originally posted by Oji_Flava

riiiiight! :clapping:

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby 2sday
                      I agree w/ Oji and Ojibwaysweetie. To me if you have a gazillion sets of beadwork, it shows that you've been in the circuit for a while :) Yes it looks very nice but I don't think it's a necessity.

I like seeing women w/ 1 or 2 sets and see what kind of ideas they can come up w/ when busting out a new dress to match those sets just as I like seeing the dancers with new sets of beadwork and dresses for each session. To me it doesn't matter, as long as the dancer is out there enjoying themselves and dancing hard.

I agree with Ruby, having alot of sets of beadwork usually indicates a circuit veteran. I think there is a "status" thing that comes with having that many sets of beadwork-not a bad thing-just a reflection of probable years of experience. I do like the creativity that having less sets of beadwork creates though

Comment

I think seeing someone who takes care of their one set of beadwork and who has and eye for making a few dresses that really match their beadwork is just as nice.
                        Not everyone has the time or maybe not the fast beading pace to keep up different beadwork and different dresses.
                        A person with one set of beadwork doesnt mean they dont put effort into their outfits
                        ~*~¤(¯`·._» >The Prettiest People do the Ugliest things <«_.·´¯)¤ ~*~

Comment

and me, i dont know how to sew, but i know how to bead so i get maybe one new dress a year
                          ~*~¤(¯`·._» >The Prettiest People do the Ugliest things <«_.·´¯)¤ ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by ~*~ShanLyn~*~
                            A person with one set of beadwork doesnt mean they dont put effort into their outfits
                            Right! Just as seeing a person with a lot of sets of beadwork and dresses does not mean they put any effort into their outfits... sometimes it means they just had the $$'s to pay another person to put their time and effort into it. ;)
                            "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Well I only have one beadwork set right now...but I have about 6 Dresses with it that match the Beadwork....so I guess it's ok if people wanna have about 3 sets of beadwork it means there beadwork will last long...But I have one set right now and I take really good care of it..even tho I get a new beadwork set each winter but my sister always uses my old set or I let my cousin use them cause she don't know how to bead or sew..LOL..I perfer to make dresses tho I make about a new one about every month or month 1/2. I bead once in awhile...But I bead all mah stuff since I was in 6 th grade so that was a long time ago....but yeah just take care of your beadwork and it shall last for a few years....

****Gotta Luv Dem Powwows****

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.