• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • n8tivechick
    Jinglin fool...
    • Jun 2000

Soup can lids, the new jingles?

OK... i was at a powwow a while ago and there was a jingle dancer that used soup can lids as jingles..... it sounded kinda cool but i am not sure what everyone else thinks..... I need your opinion!!!!

-Kelli
    Yes... I wanna make a dress with them!
    7.89%
    Yeah, they look and sound really cool!
    10.53%
    Um, maybe, the idea still sounds funny too me.
    28.95%
    NO!!!! I don't wanna smell like chicken noodle!
    52.63%
    If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!
  • Singing Otter
    Gotz ta be me!
    • Apr 2000

I've heard of folks using soup lids. Goes back to using what you have, I think. I've heard of cutting your own out of sheet metal (tin), using canning lids, soup lids, deer toes, and snuff lids. I've even seen a jingler use thimbles. I'd probably talk to some older folks and get their input...
    SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

• contemptradish
      Junior Dancer
      • Jun 2000

heh, haven't seen that one around these parts yet. i'm sure it'll spread here soon enough.
      C-trad

Comment

• Riverwoman

Yep, as for a matter of fact, I am in the process of starting a second dress, and I am going to use the tin lids from the no-name mushroom cans:D They are just a bit smaller then the "regular" ones, and are nice and gold. There is a small circle pattern on them too, so they are not totally plain.

Got my order from nocbay yesterday! Wahoo! 15 days from the US to here But anyways, I have that jingle dress pattern, the plains moccassin pattern, the cone turner, and two plumes that I have to put together.

Will have to be carefull though, they are sharp! Been saving them for months now, and I was wondering, how would I make them not as sharp as they are now? I know that I need needle nose pliers, and some good leather gloves for my hands, and the cone turner, do you have any tips?

;)

Comment

• n8tivechick
          Jinglin fool...
          • Jun 2000

Riverwoman: HEY! when you are done making your dress PLEASE take a pic of it and post it! i wanna see what it looks like... I have only seen one with soup can lids and they were silver so your gold will be really cool! UM....... on the sharp thing i am not sure, maybe try sanding it but i think it is a man's question LOL....

-Kelli
          If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

• Czechy
            wrapped in ribbonwork!
            • Oct 2000

Hmmm.... soup can lids, don't these have more weight than snuff lids? Sounds like they'd be fairly heavy.

Riverwoman- I hope the gold color on your mushroom can lids doesn't chip off. Scratch one and see if its actually silver underneath. I once used gold colored Kerr canning lids for jingles and they all looked beaten like hell after only a year or two. Let us know how it works for ya.

Comment

• Riverwoman

I sure will, geez just got those Missouri River patterns, for moccs and the jingle dress. Thanks for the advice, and I will let you know, the material for the dress is no problem, just a problem of getting 500 mushroom can lids:p

People here in town think I am nutz when I ask on the radio for them, but who are they to know anyways

Thanks all!

Comment

• dancnbrd
                Teen Dancer
                • Mar 2002

I too, think the soup can lids would carry much more weight to them....is there anyone out here who could tell us????

Comment

• JingleBelle
                  Jingle Dress Retiree
                  • Jun 2000

I gotta say that they would probably weigh a lot more and I can't picture them as being too attractive... There are a lot of places where you can get jingles inexpensively, I just can't imagine saving three hundred soup cans lids at .50 cents a pop compared to thirteen cents for a real, already rolled jingle.

Comment

• hidatsachic24

soup can for jingles...is actually good to have on a jingle dress..i made one with them but before
                    stringing them to bias tape..i soaked them in bleach water to get rid of the smell and
                    let them air dry for a day or so...they do make a really good sound and think of it this way
                    it might be less expensive than buying jingles...plus you can roll them anyway you want to which is really great for picky people liek me...the only thing i do come across which i have problem with
                    is noc bay jingles(mcphersons) i used them once and now i'm stuck with them..
                    nobody bought them just yet b/c i think more jingle dancers preferr silver creek or redwood above mcphersons...just a suggestion here maybe those should be taken off the market
                    and be replaced at noc bay with a better brand or sell rolled plain jingles like the
                    guy out in texas (somwhere) for cheaper price..

Comment

• NDN Princess 2001
                      Tiny Tot Dancer
                      • Aug 2001

I've seen them a long ago. I didn't care for them. Looked duller and to me they sounded klunker. Besides I would never be able to eat that much soup!! :p

One thing I would never use would be mason jar lids!! They are bad, really bad sounding.

Have fun trying to get rid of the sharp edges! Only thing I have seen done is to pinch a rim up on them with pliers!
                      This is life, and I'm lovin it!

Comment

• creejingledress
                        Tiny Tot Dancer
                        • May 2001

I have to agree with ndnprincess....they aren't very good looking...I mean they really do look like they're made from soup cans and it doesn't look good. I've seen jingles made from them and they do look dull and sound like cans.

Comment

• WocusWoman
                          N8tiffUmatillaMAMA
                          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Singing Otter
                          I've heard of folks using soup lids. Goes back to using what you have, I think. I've heard of cutting your own out of sheet metal (tin), using canning lids, soup lids, deer toes, and snuff lids. I've even seen a jingler use thimbles. I'd probably talk to some older folks and get their input...
                          Using thimbles on a dress goes way way back; to when the white man was giving natives trade-beads and such. I've seen old photos of women with dresses decorated with thimbles. I have also seen old jingle dresses with the old baking powder lids, but have yet to see a modern dress with soup can lids. I hope somebody can post a photo. I like to try new things once in a while...

Comment

• ojibwaysweetie
                            PowWows.com Addicts
                            • Sep 2003

I don't like them soup can lids either. My faves are redwood and of course copenhagen. They seem to last and the sound of them are nice. I like them to make a nice sound. *shkk-shhkk-shkkk* :D
                            This one lady made hers from a certain juice can, they're spirally. I thought looked cool. Kinda thin though, so dunno how they sound.
                            "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

• *Kwe_Zee*
                              is actually posting!
                              • Apr 2000

Soup can lids are old school. My aunt who is an oldie but goodie :p had a dress decades ago with soup can lids.:D

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.