Old Style v. New Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Style v. New Style

I was looking at a thread asking about what style of dance everyone did and someone wrote "old style jingle". What is the difference between old style and new style?

Sorry if all my questions are getting annoying, but I am in the learning process.

Thanks for your help and patience.
    No matter where you go, there you are.

Now I would like to know that, too!!
    Join my FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/NatamBeadwork

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!

Comment

old style

I saw an old style jingle special once - the ladies were asked to take all their feathers off, and to not carry a purse or a fan (nothing in their hands). They danced with hands on their hips and during the honor beats just raised one hand.

Comment

Question is, is the style of the dress different, too??

Are the dancing steps the same?

Join my FB page:

Comment

Old style jingle is more than just not having the fancy trappings. The old style jingle is about the dance steps. Old style is how jingle originated and the new style is fancier. Old style is keeping the feet flat, more sliding motion, less bounce and fancy footwork, more moving in a straight or limited zig-zag pattern.
          Not better. Not worse. Just different.

Comment

Old Style Jingle

This is the original style of jingle dancing before it sweep pow-wow country and the fan and plumes were added. Along with the higher and fancier steps. The only thing that was carried was the purse or if you wish to call it, medicine bag. The steps are lower to the ground. On the women's dance (side-step), the feet are close together but the tempo of the dance is really jazzy, like the songs.

The new way is very beautiful to see but I really like to see the it danced the old way.
            Battle River Fan!!!

Comment

hmm :Thinking,
              but the basic step is the same??
              :Thinking:Thinking:Thinking
              Join my FB page:

Comment

:) Yeah, the way I was told was that the Old style way of dancing jingle is to keep at least one of your feet in touch with the ground, to Mother Earth. Also, that the dance itself is a more humble dances style, not so flashy and fast moving, more dignified if you will. Also, the way the dance moves around the circle is in a zigzag fashion. I like to go to powwows where there are older women dancing, then you are able to see the old style used, it's good medicine!!;)
                InAgoodWay!!

Comment

That is very interesting!
                  Thanks for the info!
                  The next time I have to watch for the difference!
                  :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:
                  Join my FB page:

Comment

Very interesting!
                    :huddle: Learn to associate with the white man, learn his ways, get an education. With an education, you are his equal; without it, you are his victim. - Chief Plenty Coups, Crow

Comment

hmm, I still have the difficulty to tell those 2 styles apart....
                      have to look more intensivly!
                      :Chatter
                      Join my FB page:

Comment

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with me.:)
                        No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X