• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jinglin'ndn
    teen dancer
    • Aug 2004

can someone be a pal and help me please lol

okay if your reading this haha ty.... anyways im kinda new to jingle dancing and i didnt have anyone really show me how to do any dancing or anything but i made up my own steps.... i was wondering if someone can tell me how to tell the diffrence between a side step and straight .. please and is compeating hard i never compeated before just danced in inter tribles... well my name is joyce and i have danced for less then 1 year but havent to been to many powwows im full blooded cherokee ........... does anyone have any advice for me in dancing if ya do i will appreciate it okay thankyou!
    **JiNgLe*JiNgLe*JiNgLe**
  • NdNBaby132
    jingle dresser
    • Nov 2004

umm how dont you know .. Have you been to many powwows???...A side step is when you ....SSSLLLIIDDEE step

Comment

• ojibwaywmn
      Swan Lake Ojibway
      • Jun 2003

You can buy a video on Jingle Dress dancing. The origin, how to make the dress, steps, etc. That's one way to start.

Comment

• ~*~ShanLyn~*~
        Addy's Mommy
        • Sep 2002

or just go to a powwow!
        ~*~¤(¯`·._» >The Prettiest People do the Ugliest things <«_.·´¯)¤ ~*~

Comment

• *Kwe_Zee*
          is actually posting!
          • Apr 2000

Originally posted by ~*~ShanLyn~*~
          or just go to a powwow!
          Who knew it could be that easy? :p

Comment

• step_2_da_side
            woohooo!! yeah!!
            • Dec 2003

do what shannerz said and pay attention in each jingle category

Comment

• jinglin'ndn
              teen dancer
              • Aug 2004

ty yall im gonnna try to find a viedo tape and i have only been to about 4-6 powwows im my life, parents dont go to any only close ones like the sherman indian powwow, morongo, and pachanga powwow. well thx for the advice if yas got any more spit it out and ill check on it kk ty
              **JiNgLe*JiNgLe*JiNgLe**

Comment

• *Kwe_Zee*
                is actually posting!
                • Apr 2000

Whoever bad repped me, I'm gonna find out who you are!:)

Comment

• ~+~Heya~+~
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by *Kwe_Zee*
                  Whoever bad repped me, I'm gonna find out who you are!:)
                  Is there somewhere you read your reps? I STILL dont know anything about this reputation thing!:p

Comment

• this1ndnchic
                    ~*Coastal Steps*~
                    • Aug 2004

heya go to your USER CP lol..
                    (¯`·._.·`*CeDaR RoSe*`·._.·´¯)

Comment

• Cherokegrassdance
                      Teengrass
                      • Aug 2004

Maybee you should slow down. Take some time to watch outher dancers. Buy jingle songs, practice them. Dance intertribls. Review the rules of powwow, make some powwow budies. I have been doing what I told you for 3 years(knowing about powwow my whole life), and I am still considerd a beginer, and I still have not gotten all of my regalia together. And ask an Elder questions(with tobacco).

Comment

• n8tivechick
                        Jinglin fool...
                        • Jun 2000

Originally posted by jinglin'ndn
                        okay if your reading this haha ty.... anyways im kinda new to jingle dancing and i didnt have anyone really show me how to do any dancing or anything but i made up my own steps.... i was wondering if someone can tell me how to tell the diffrence between a side step and straight .. please and is compeating hard i never compeated before just danced in inter tribles... well my name is joyce and i have danced for less then 1 year but havent to been to many powwows im full blooded cherokee ........... does anyone have any advice for me in dancing if ya do i will appreciate it okay thankyou!
                        Ok, from an experienced jingler point of view this makes me kinda of concerned. Are you sure you know the story, the meaning, and the reason why you are a jingle dancer? If you don't then i would suggest to either find those things out before you dance or don't dance at all. You NEED to know the backround first.

THEN i would suggest to ask an elder about the tradition and have a sponser who knows what jingling is all about to help you get started. And since you said you made up your own steps, and are going to compete, then i would think that you are going to be a contemporary jingler. If you were tradish then you need to learn the tradish steps and not compete, or have a separate dress for competition.

See, there is alot to learn before you even start to dance...

If you would like you could PM me and i can give you more advice.

~Kelli
                        If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

• *Kwe_Zee*
                          is actually posting!
                          • Apr 2000

LOL Heya.....

It took me a while too, to figure it out. :D

Comment

• little hummingbird
                            Fancy Princess
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Cherokeeguy
                            Maybee you should slow down. Take some time to watch outher dancers. Buy jingle songs, practice them. Dance intertribls. Review the rules of powwow, make some powwow budies. I have been doing what I told you for 3 years(knowing about powwow my whole life), and I am still considerd a beginer, and I still have not gotten all of my regalia together. And ask an Elder questions(with tobacco).
                            Good advice cherokee guy i totally agree.....i have been fancy shawl danceing for a long time now and i still ask elders for help
                            Ready For a Powwow Big Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            ~I Love Chris~ my grassdancing hunny!!!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.