What made you start dancing?

Your mother?
    Your granny?
    Your sister?

And who tought you to dance?

:D
    Join my FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/NatamBeadwork

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!

Wow...good questions :p

Well, I was supposed to have died before I was born (oxygen deprivation there was a tumor in my mother's womb that was almost as large as I was), the doctors tried to kill me (told my parents that they should give up on me for the sake of science), had some bumps on the road with health issues, my dad was supposed to live for about 3 weeks and was here for 5 years, I'm still here alive and kicking, and I could keep going.... :D

I waited for about a year before I started dancing...guess I wanted to make sure that I wasn't getting my signals crossed ya know?

I was blessed because I've had alot of folks to help me out. I'm taking time off but I'm hoping my mom can be there with me when I dance next summer.
    SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

I have been dancing for 9 years and have not stopped since I fell in Love with it. However, I first got my daughter into it before I really thought about it.
      Where I live we have a rual Indian org. and when my daughter was in their day care I started getting interested in Indian things you see I am Indian but when I grew up I was not really exposed to my culural till I got older. But when I did it opened up a whole new life to me, it is just like the old saying "How do you know where you are going if you don't know where you have been". Well anyway I started taking her to Cultural classes on Tuesday Nights when she was about 4 years old. Then one day we went to the Eastern Music Festival that was at a College campus it is like a really big event here in Greensboro NC and they had some dancers from a traveling Native American Dance Theater and they were the most beatiful dancers I had ever seen and there was this Jingle Dancer there and she was so umble looking. She was beatiful and her steps were so graceful and that was the first time I had ever seen a Jingle dancer. Because from my understanding there was not any around here then. Well anyway that was all it took and I have been in love with the dance eversince. I can not express the love I have for Jingle dancing and to say that I am a Jingle dancer makes me very pround. I can say I do not dance just for show unless I am competeing. I believe that Jingle Dancing is truely a Medicine dance and it involves alot of pray. My daughter will soon be 13 years old and she is a Fancy Dancer and I can truely say that I and my daughter have a great bond togather as we travel to many Pow-wows and enjoy our cultural togather.
      SoftWind

Comment

Originally posted by Singing Otter
        Wow...good questions :p

Well, I was supposed to have died before I was born (oxygen deprivation there was a tumor in my mother's womb that was almost as large as I was), the doctors tried to kill me (told my parents that they should give up on me for the sake of science), had some bumps on the road with health issues, my dad was supposed to live for about 3 weeks and was here for 5 years, I'm still here alive and kicking, and I could keep going.... :D
        Oh, that's a hard thing!
        I'm glad you made it!
        :)
        Join my FB page:
        https://www.facebook.com/#!/NatamBeadwork

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!

Comment

Thank you. :) I am too.

hard? lol yeah I guess.... but all the more reason for me to be thankful and prayerful. Sometimes I have to step back and re-examine where I've come from....how far....and how far I hope to go.
          SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

I started dancing when I was about 5. My grandma started me out. Took me to a powwow every weekend, she loved dancing too. Started out as a traditional dancer then shawl until my knees gave up, now I'm jingle.
            Now, I'm 40 and still dancing and now I am watching my daughter follow the same path, hopefully the rest of the kids too;).

Comment

I started when I was about 1 1/2 years old. My mother got me started. Every since then I've been hooked. It's been 20 years now.
              "Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live!" ~Bob Marley~

Comment

my father is the one who helped me get strated dancing. i have alot of respect for him for this. my first true memory from dancing was during a new years powwow. we all gathered at this hall and would have a powwow to bring in the new year. i can remember sleeping right below my mothers chair and hearing the drums. i also remeber going out with my fahter to do a round dnace song. at that point in time i didn't know the difference between a roundance or intertribal. so here i was in the very center of the circle while others rounddanced dancing with my red shawl. i can remeber seeing everyone looking t me. now when i think about it i get embarassed :0 LOL that is how i started dancing.:D :Blush
                Grant me the senility to forget the people i never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones i do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Comment

:)
                  Last edited by Jingling_In_Stars; 10-08-2008, 11:53 PM.
                  At some point, you have to make a decision. Boundaries don't keep other people out. They fence you in. Life is messy. That's how we're made. So, you can waste your lives drawing lines. Or you can live your life crossing them. . .

Comment

I have been dancing since i could walk. It came real natural and I am very grateful for that. The jingle dress has so much meaning and power in it. I feel honored to wear it and I am grateful to have the ability to dance. My ma always made sure I went to a lot of ceremonies and learned the meaning and power that the dress holds. I love dancing, it's my life...forever and always:)

Comment

My Parents used to take me with them to Powwows. When I learned how to walk, I always used to jump around and try to copy all the dancers. That is when my parents decided to teach me how to dance. I can dance Jingle and Fancyshawl, but I prefer traditional Jingle.

Comment

Love your post Makwa Ikwe

I too started dancing when is was young, about four years old. My dad took us back home for a pow-wow and I saw the jingle dress dancers for the first time and fell in love with the dance. I was reminded by my relatives that when I start dancing jingle to do it right. I also feel honored to be able to dance in my jingle dress and happy to be an ojibwe ikwe. The joys of jingling!!!

I've danced fancy in my youth and later traditional but jingling is best.
                        Battle River Fan!!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X