Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a jingle dress

Boojoo,
    Well here i go. I have gottem my pattern for my daughter's dress and I am sort of confused. Thiswill be the first time I have made adress from a pattern...well the first time making a dress period. lol
    Well any ways I knowwhat the dress looks like, butin the pattern it talks about a Aprio, cape dress, and pull over... Ok What I want is the dress with the slip likeportion under neath that so when she sits down she can pull the oter part up so she dont flatten the jingles or hurt her little bottom. Can some one give me a hand here??
    Oh ya I am a dad and yes I do know how to sow. I have been doing bead work like rosettes for hair pieces and rosettes for my lodge. I am the sewer of the house.

Miigwech, Wally :Hammer I am ready to work on it now!!

Hello Mills,
    Ok. I have used that Jingle dress pattern before. and this is what I can suggest. First of all the pattern includes more peices than you actually need. this way you can have a choice of what style you want. what I do is Make the "underdress" and the "skirt". I use all the same material. I put the underdress on first . then i put the skirt on top. when i sit down i just pull up my skirt and i have the underdress to cover me up. because the fabric of the underdress and skirt are the same it looks like a one peice dress. and also with two seperate peices all the weight wont be held on her shoulders and make her back hurt. I hope ive helped a little. if you have any questions about sewing or anything e-mail me at [email protected] I have made lots of dresses with and without patterns.

Comment

Miigwech hiawatha_49,

This helps some what. I will have to go buy the material . She has chose the colors:Pink, Yellow, and white. . as just thinking that the Cherokee rose is white...right? Wally

Comment

I would not suggest making a top skirt with the jingles on it. My daughter has one and as the is dancing the weight makes the skirt come down and she has to stop and have me re tie it tighter. Her belt doesn't help with that problem either.
        If your daughter is tiny I would suggest the apron or cobbler dress with a dress underneath. That way the weight will be distributed all over.
        You also may want to search the archives for other great tips and suggestions.

Just my two frog skins worth! :p

And I just have to say that is so sweet for a daddy to be taking such an interest in his childs dance clothes! I really love hearing stuff like that! :clap: :Thumbs

(welcome to the board! :) )
        "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Miigwech Mato Winyan,
          We had went to Manatou Rapids, Ontario to talk with and elder Jingle dress dancer, and she showed us a couple of dresses there while she talked with my daughter. What I remember is the dress with another dress under it that was sewen to the out side one at the waiste so she can pull it up to sit down...is that what you mean by a cobbler dress ? i will have to research this alittle more i see. lol :D
          Wado for your two frog skins worth. It is always welcomed.

Comment

Tried to find a good photo of the style but couldn't. I can try again after I return from my trip. Maybe some of the other ladies has a photo they can share.

I did however find a couple good links on the Cherokee Rose! :p

Cherokee Rose

Cherokee Rose

Hope this helps. :)
            "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

You got the idea

Mills:

Just sew the skirt over the top of the basic dress at the waist or sew the skirt underneth the dress if you want the outside all the same. Either way will work and is proper.
              Battle River Fan!!!

Comment

hmm, I didn't make a whole skirt over the dress.
                I simply made a flap on the backside which you can put up to sit down then.
                I used buttons and velcro at the sides to fasten the flap to the dress.

It worked for me..
                :D
                Join my FB page:
                https://www.facebook.com/#!/NatamBeadwork

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!

Comment

hmmm.... i'm always looking for good ideas on how to put together my daughter's dress. I didn't think about making a dress, and then sewing another skirt on top of that...

for another idea...
                  the first dress i made was my daughter's jingle dress... i hadn't sewn before that. with that being said, my daughter's dress is a straight t-shaped dress. I only put cones on the skirt part of the dress. (the belt seemed to help relieve some of the weight off of her shoulders)

I just made the skirt out of the same material, as hiawatha did, so it looks like all one dress. oh yeah, i had cones hanging off of the bottom of the dress part, too, so they laid upon the skirt. The skirt is about 4 or 5 inches longer than the dress, with no cones on it. This way she can be a lady about sitting down.

Now, the next dress i make may be put together differently... i still have a little time to decide... hmmm... always thinking about it, tho... :Thinking
                  I am who I am. No more, no less.

Comment

Originally posted by nativewife View Post
                    hmmm.... i'm always looking for good ideas on how to put together my daughter's dress. I didn't think about making a dress, and then sewing another skirt on top of that...

for another idea...
                    the first dress i made was my daughter's jingle dress... i hadn't sewn before that. with that being said, my daughter's dress is a straight t-shaped dress. I only put cones on the skirt part of the dress. (the belt seemed to help relieve some of the weight off of her shoulders)

I just made the skirt out of the same material, as hiawatha did, so it looks like all one dress. oh yeah, i had cones hanging off of the bottom of the dress part, too, so they laid upon the skirt. The skirt is about 4 or 5 inches longer than the dress, with no cones on it. This way she can be a lady about sitting down.

Now, the next dress i make may be put together differently... i still have a little time to decide... hmmm... always thinking about it, tho... :Thinking
                    i would love to see pictures of the dress.
                    i am making a jingle dress too. i just made one cotton dress with jingles on it. and i am making a skirt to go under the dress so i can sit down. i used the missouri river pattern very confusing until i realized i didn't need all of it. i was just wondering if this is right way of doing it. i am a tradional dancer and i don't sew much. i would really like some imput thanks.

Comment

I have made about 50 jingle dresses and am a master seamtress. The best pattern is to use a women A line dress pattern with no seam at the waist. The is only a seam down both sides. The weight of the jingles will pull a seam apart at the waist. Once you applique the front you can add the jingles at that time and do the same to the back. Sew the front and back together at the shoulder seam. At this time add your sleeves and then sew up the sides from the end of the sleeve to the hem. The dress is much stronger this way.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Gosh SBurlon, your dress is stunning!
                        A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Comment

sbourlon
                          Do you use a zipper? If so, do you prefer it in the front or back of the dress?

Comment

Originally posted by yaahl View Post
                            Gosh SBurlon, your dress is stunning!
                            Yes she makes so beautiful dresses...you should see some of the others she have on her website they make you drool......to bad that I am not a contemporary jingledancer

Comment

I've made every style of jingle dress and in every size. I've never counted how many I've made but I think I'm around that 50 mark too. I dance that style so that explains some of it.

The cobbler apron dress is a two-piece deal good for growing children as it can accommodate a range in size. It consists of a plain t-dress worn underneath. Over this goes the second piece made of two rectangles sewn at the shoulders, a hole for the head and a tie at the waist on each side. All the jingles are attached to this overdress-apron portion. The back flap of the overdress is easy to pull up out of the way for sitting. The only drawback to this style is that some people feel that the apron panels move around too much. I have a picture of this dress but its in storage and will take me forever to find it. I'll have to Google it but the cobbler style might be on the front of the Missouri River childs jingle dress pattern envelope.

Many years ago, I made two dresses that had seams across the waist for the over skirt. I learned my lesson right quick. The weight of the jingles will rip that seam apart, as sbourlon said.

My preferred method is to make an overdress with an underskirt. The underskirt is a bit longer than the overdress since I like to decorate the underskirt hem and add a row or 2 of jingles to it. My construction method is similar to sbourlon's. I usually put a zipper in the front since its easier to wear and most people have ornaments worn in the front which cover up the zipper from view.

Use fabric that will take the weight of the jingles. So nothing flimsy. Since this is your first dress, you might want to use a medium weight cotton. Its not expensive, comes in scads of colors/patterns, is washable, and is easy to sew. You can save the fancier fabrics for the later on down the road. Good luck!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.