Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Step.. the Pain for Beauty

Hey Ladies;

I come from a Northern Region of Ojibway Territory. Up here we dont have competition pow-wows, and when I first seen one in Southern Ontario I was shocked at the way ladies are dancing the most sacred dance of all... the Side Step.
    I was comparing the Original Way v. Contemperary way... and I dance like an old lady.. LOL
    Neway; Im trying to learn the Modern Way of dancing the side step.. But I have two questions...

How do you do it? and How do you ease the pain?

Or am I just out of shape?
    undefined
    One Women. One Mind. One Vision.

Originally posted by ojibwayjingle85
    Hey Ladies;

I come from a Northern Region of Ojibway Territory. Up here we dont have competition pow-wows, and when I first seen one in Southern Ontario I was shocked at the way ladies are dancing the most sacred dance of all... the Side Step.
    I was comparing the Original Way v. Contemperary way... and I dance like an old lady.. LOL
    Neway; Im trying to learn the Modern Way of dancing the side step.. But I have two questions...

How do you do it? and How do you ease the pain?

Or am I just out of shape?

Well i come from contemp land (western US)..and lately i've been livin in the midwest..well, when i left contemp land there were no certain fads for the way you did a side-step..NOW..it's all about the toes and the statue pose..dang,,but anyhow these gurls who can dance on their toes and still look smooth say that they practice at home or had to learn it and practice and than it just became a part of how they danced..LIKE in contemp areas the dominant style to dance is REALLY hard (tipee-toes)..so if you want to dance like that it takes alot of practice to stay balanced and have the dancing not faze you by getting tired!!! Or you can be like me..I aint even gonna try that...(anytime soon)!!
    Oh yeah and yout not out of shape,,your muscles just prolly not used to the new style!!
    Nuwa-nu!!..Look at the Yummy Yaha's!!mmmm..mmm Real injun food!!
    Agai-Dika from the great state of potatoes (Lemhi Shoshone-Bannock). So Don't panic, I'm Bannock. P.S. heres my quote: uncle Gary Abrahamson "Don't sweat the petty things, Pet the sweat things!"
    :character:merrychri:eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes :eyelashes:
    eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes: eyelashes:
    eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes

Comment

I can appreciate the tippy-toe dancing. I understand that it's really tough to dance that style. The "statue pose" that you mention is something else that I've noticed gaining in popularity.
      Personally, I really like to see the ladies that can dance the side-step with a really nice bounce, and keeping their feet together. I don't see that too often. I do recall Becky Taylor used to dance the side-step that way. I seen Marie Belisle dance the side-step like that as well this past year. Rowena Roberts has a really interesting style of side-step. I like it. I don't think I've noticed anybody else doing that yet.
      I enjoy watching the side-step, and think that all these styles/fads just add to the competition. After all, it's the judges that get to pick the winners, and they all have their personal taste as well.
      It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by trudanny
        I can appreciate the tippy-toe dancing. I understand that it's really tough to dance that style. The "statue pose" that you mention is something else that I've noticed gaining in popularity.
        Personally, I really like to see the ladies that can dance the side-step with a really nice bounce, and keeping their feet together. I don't see that too often. I do recall Becky Taylor used to dance the side-step that way. I seen Marie Belisle dance the side-step like that as well this past year. Rowena Roberts has a really interesting style of side-step. I like it. I don't think I've noticed anybody else doing that yet.
        I enjoy watching the side-step, and think that all these styles/fads just add to the competition. After all, it's the judges that get to pick the winners, and they all have their personal taste as well.
        Well rowena is a really cool side-stepper..she does the toes thingy and even goes in the opposite direction on the honor beats...plus she's cool...I really haven't had a chance to watch Becky...EVERY single time I was at a powwow she was at..We were in the same category..but she's nice and she's a cool woman...I wish i knew every one you knew...LOL..but hey i got a cuzzin married up in ontario somewhere called wahpole island....is that near toronto?? Maybe I'll go visit..cuz I got a lil neice named Wahbzii!!
        Nuwa-nu!!..Look at the Yummy Yaha's!!mmmm..mmm Real injun food!!
        Agai-Dika from the great state of potatoes (Lemhi Shoshone-Bannock). So Don't panic, I'm Bannock. P.S. heres my quote: uncle Gary Abrahamson "Don't sweat the petty things, Pet the sweat things!"
        :character:merrychri:eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes :eyelashes:
        eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes: eyelashes:
        eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes

Comment

welll i can certainly appreciate the tippy toes dealie... its hard as hell to do and i know those girls must practice at it a lot... but i personally do not like it... i think it looks dumb... LOL... i keep my feets on the ground & together like my momma taught me to...

Comment

Well, I was watching the video's in the gallery. I tried to copy the moves in the mirror. I could do it, easily, just the pain really gets to ya. Ive been limping for a few days LOL.

I guess it does take alot of practise,endurance and muscle.
            undefined
            One Women. One Mind. One Vision.

Comment

i dance on my toes, and its the way i've always danced, i think it was just how my muscles were toned from sports and stuff.
              you just gotta tough out the pain til you tone your muscles enough that they just get used to dancing that way.
              ~*~¤(¯`·._» >The Prettiest People do the Ugliest things <«_.·´¯)¤ ~*~

Comment

yeah but shan you STAY up on yer toes... theres lotsa chicks that start out all high and are nearly flatfooted halfway thru the song...

Comment

yeah, i've seen that. i wouldn't dance on my toes if i couldnt last a whole song......even though i'm sort of experimenting with my sidestep right now lolz, i've been doing it the same way for too long.....i need a little change
                  ~*~¤(¯`·._» >The Prettiest People do the Ugliest things <«_.·´¯)¤ ~*~

Comment

hey Woggs, if you got a cuz living on Walpole Island, you should make your way up to Ontario for a pow wow! (it's a few hours away from Toronto)

Six Nations or Wiky in the summer, or Toronto Skydome in the winter. They're all good.

as for the side-step styles, I agree that Rowena's dancing stays with ya, cuz she's unique. she's a good dancer.
                    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot

Comment

Kendra Redhouse Has Tha Best Tippy Toes!!! LOL She Looks Smooth Tha Whole Song Too....
                      But Back To Tha Question...... You Should Try Some Good Old Plyometrics..... Work Your Calves Every Other Day.... Thas What I Use For Basketball Track And Of Course Dancing.... It Really Helps Too... I Could Feel The Difference When I Dance....

Comment

Originally posted by LilMissDopey
                        welll i can certainly appreciate the tippy toes dealie... its hard as hell to do and i know those girls must practice at it a lot... but i personally do not like it... i think it looks dumb... LOL... i keep my feets on the ground & together like my momma taught me to...
                        I agree that's how I was taugh and raised too, I keep my Feet close to the ground as possible..But that's me tho..LOL

Comment

Yeha, i do mine on my tip toes, and for me, im a bit outta shape, only a little and it hurts sometimes. i got better though. i remember when i first came out, for my category they did a side step and my feet were hurting all night and all that week!

Comment

When I was in teens I did it on my toes.Then when Igot intowomens I did it flatwith my feet together. You cover too much ground on your toes and usually get stuck not wanting topass anyone. I was always to side step, round dance , they are supposed to be flat andwith small close together steps to represent us women sneaking into the dance circle when it was origionally just men. You just have to pace yourself and not startout all gung - ho then youll be burntout at the2nd verse.LOL also you need to practice at home, work through the pain and youll get use toit. LOL
                            ~*Sioux_chick*~

Comment

Originally posted by Sioux_chick
                              When I was in teens I did it on my toes.Then when Igot intowomens I did it flatwith my feet together. You cover too much ground on your toes and usually get stuck not wanting topass anyone. I was always to side step, round dance , they are supposed to be flat andwith small close together steps to represent us women sneaking into the dance circle when it was origionally just men. You just have to pace yourself and not startout all gung - ho then youll be burntout at the2nd verse.LOL also you need to practice at home, work through the pain and youll get use toit. LOL
                              I agree w/you! That is true, very, very, very true!! Well I dance on my tip-toes all the time. And that thing about into the dance circle, really true!
                              Jr.Miss Stillwater 2004

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.