Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many rows is a jingle dress supposed to have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many rows is a jingle dress supposed to have?

I recently started to make a jingle dress and I was told that a jingle dress should have 7 rows of jingles on it and i was also told that it doesn't matter how many rows there are as long as you have 366 jingles on your dress... can someone help me?
    I want to know how many rows there are supposed to be on a jingle dress

jingle rows

Traditionall its has 365 for everyday of the year but also if your doing a contemporary dress it also depends on the design of the jingles. Example: zig zag, etc.

Comment

I think it depends on how tall you are..I know I couldn't fit 7 rows on my short-self..or I'd look really cluttered..LOL..so I actually do have exactly 365 on my green dressw/ the black sparkle fabric and I only have 4 rows..it's matches for my shortness....theres a pic of it in the photo section....so I think it depends..If you want the real tradish low-down call out all the Ojibs and they'll tell you ...but powwow style is tottally different from tradish and ceremonial style!..so either or..
      Nuwa-nu!!..Look at the Yummy Yaha's!!mmmm..mmm Real injun food!!
      Agai-Dika from the great state of potatoes (Lemhi Shoshone-Bannock). So Don't panic, I'm Bannock. P.S. heres my quote: uncle Gary Abrahamson "Don't sweat the petty things, Pet the sweat things!"
      :character:merrychri:eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes :eyelashes:
      eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes: eyelashes:
      eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes:eyelashes

Comment

jingle rows

For sure that's me as well. Just like woggs I usually have 4 rows. Largest rows I've ever done on a jingle dress was for my friend claire who is over 6 foot. I think we did 8 rows but we used over 700 jingles.

Comment

i've heard 7 rows and ya use 365 cones..one for each day of the year...

Comment

We talekd a lot about this in an earlier thread - look for somthing like "365 cones - myth or reality" (it's a myth).

Last i heard, there was no set number of rows.

Seems like a lot of nutty people are out there makin crap up.
            Mii iw keyaa ezhi-ditibiseyaan

Comment

Originally posted by kiiyaaniiasdzaa
              Largest rows I've ever done on a jingle dress was for my friend claire who is over 6 foot. I think we did 8 rows but we used over 700 jingles.

wow. lmao if i had that many somebody would have to wheel me around the arena! j/k (I'm only 5.3 feet)
              SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kiiyaaniiasdzaa
                For sure that's me as well. Just like woggs I usually have 4 rows. Largest rows I've ever done on a jingle dress was for my friend claire who is over 6 foot. I think we did 8 rows but we used over 700 jingles.

Kiiyaaniiasdzaa,

You're the one that made Claire's dress? Kewl!!!! She looks really good in it!

Just as sookout sh;nob said, the myth that there is "a cone for each day of the year put on a jingle dress" is not factual. This was the consensus of the Ojibway/Chippewa (Anishinabe) women who overwhelmedly posted on another thread.

In all actuality the number of rows and cones depends on a women's size, height and preference of style.
                Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

who me

Yes, I made her dress. We are hopefully going to be working on another one soon. When Claire is ready. That dress was so heavy though and it was funny when I put it on, look like I had shrunk! LOL
                  I can't wait to get her dancing again though!

Comment

well i put 5 rows...i am not too tall or short...but i have just little more than 365....i think on my last dress....i had 370....not a whole bunch....

Comment

thats serious debate..i was told 365 7 rows of jingles...but ive seen other jingle dancers with 5 rows and some with scattered allover the dress they have 500 jingles...many say doesnt matter...id say jest check with your elders and the way things go with yar tribe...different tribes have different beliefs in reguards towards how many jingles one can have on jingle dress...i can tell you that common dress can have up to 500 (womans size) i wouldnt go more than that b/c you have to think of the weight...500 is awful heavy to dance in.

Comment

Originally posted by musicedu77
                        ...id say jest check with your elders and the way things go with yar tribe...different tribes have different beliefs in reguards towards how many jingles one can have on jingle dress....

Music,

I would have to disagree with your advice. This dance belongs to the Anishinabe Kwe (Chippewa/Ojibway women).

It would not be right to ask any tribal elder from just ANY tribe "how many jingles one can have on a jingle dress."

"Just because a person is an elder doesn't mean they have the answer to another tribes traditions."

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
                          Music,

I would have to disagree with your advice. This dance belongs to the Anishinabe Kwe (Chippewa/Ojibway women).

It would not be right to ask any tribal elder from just ANY tribe "how many jingles one can have on a jingle dress."

"Just because a person is an elder doesn't mean they have the answer to another tribes traditions."
                          Well said!! Especially the last quote!!!

Comment

welll im confused then because i was always told certain tribes believe theres certain number of jingles and so on... when someone specifys a certain number is that more a specification to contemporary?
                            Last edited by musicedu77; 06-14-2005, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by musicedu77
                              welll im confused then because i was always told certain tribes believe theres certain number of jingles and so on... when someone specifys a certain number is that more a specification to contemporary?
                              Music,

I hope I don't confuse you more.

The Answer is Yes AND No. *L

Yes, tribes other than the Anishinabe "believe that theres a certain number of jingles and so on...."

But then again, the jingle dress did not originate with other tribes.

No, there is no specification with contemporary. Because . . .

"Contemporary is, what contemporary does."

"It's like a box of chocolates. . .

you never know what your gonna geh'it." (Forrest Gump)
                              Last edited by WhoMe; 06-14-2005, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.