bead work on jingle dress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bead work on jingle dress

Osiyo!! Ayv am making my daughters dress and I am going to do some bead work and I am wondering should I do the bead work right on to the dress or do Ayv do it on something else and so this on to the dress. If the last on what shoud I bead to?

I am a father trying to do the best I can for my daughter.
    Wado, Walter

You might try beading (partial or full) a vest to go with your daughter dress. Vests seem to be the thing now. I've seen a few pictures in which a fully beaded vest was worn with the dress. The vest was just long enough to have a belt show from underneath it. The latest copy of Whispering Wind Magazine has an article featuring this. I hope this suggestion helps.

Comment

bead work on jingle dresses looks kick @$$I think it shows just how much time, LOVE, and effor you put in to what you do
      :NoNo Cant win all the time

~ If I told you I loved you, would u hold me in your arms so tight, If I told you I loved you, Would you be mine, mine for ever ~

~ U may shoot me with your words, U may cut me with your eyes, U may kill me with your hatefulness, BUT STILL LIKE AIR I'LL RISE ~

Comment

With my new dress, I'm having a big yoke. Should I fully bead it? Its one of the long yokes, I think there's some pics in the gallery of some. This kind of yoke

*Chenna*
        TARHEEL BORN, TARHEEL BRED, WHEN I DIE I'LL BE TARHEEL DEAD!

MizzQaqimat's Space

Comment

I think that would look awesome if you did! Go ahead!:D

Comment

Siyo Everyone! Is the yoke the part that goes over the shoulders? Ayv am new at this.

Comment

Ya, that's the yoke that goes over the shoulders. There's a link to a pic in my last post up there. So, I should bead it? Kewlies...I'll have a cloth one, and work on the beaded one. Thanks y'all!

Chenna
              TARHEEL BORN, TARHEEL BRED, WHEN I DIE I'LL BE TARHEEL DEAD!

MizzQaqimat's Space

Comment

Yeah go nuts! if you like beading then you might want to have a commitment to your yoke to bead it... It would look beautiful and you better share some pics of it when you are done!!!!!!

and a suggestion to millsdrumming, since you are doing for best, i think that beadwork that is universal, so you can use it on more then one dress in the future, is a good idea. i think it saves time and effort. Also, that is so nice of you to help your daughter! how old is she?

-Kelli
                If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

I also think that the yoke style or the vest style is the best way to go if you want to add beadwork to the dress. If you add it right to the dress itself, its going to present a problem when you need to clean the dress, it makes it a lot more fragile, and that is the last thing you want if you have a little one wearing the dress. That way, you can use the beadwork for a while, and just make new dresses to go underneath if your child grows out of a dress. Anyways, thats just my 2 cents. Let us see some pictures when you finish :)

R.

Comment

My daughter is 8 yrs old, and very small for her age. I call her tinker bell because she is so tiny. But she is full of fire. I will putthe beading on the yoke which I think is a good idea. Wado for all the help. I think I will make her a beaded vest. Thiswill look awesome I think. This is going to be her very first Dress and she can't wait. What am I saying....I can't wait. lol
                    Wally

Comment

Well.. lemme just say this, my dad would have NEVER done anything like this for me! he hates to even sew buttons.... Break out the buttonier!!!! LOL
                      But your daughter is lucky, she'll thank you for it in the long run
                      -Kelli
                      If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

You should make a yoke. .... use duck cloth- sew the edges first so they dont fray...and then draw a design on it and bead away.. after you can use edgework to sew on a lining!!you could make a simple yoke that is a circular shape....or a v-shape..its really easy

Comment

That's such a cool idea...go for it!!
                          September

Comment

millsdrumming, youre an awesome dad to do that for your daughter....:Thumbs

Comment

Siyo supergirlie_fancy1 Wado for that. I never had the chance to learn my culture until now so I am trying to be sure she knows as much as she can, plus she said she wanted to be a jingle dancer. So since I am the one that sews I am the one that will do it. Plus I have a strong desire to do this for her. I have a little fear that I will mess it up, but I know that Creator is with me. So this will be a great path for me to take with my daughter.
                              Wado/ Miigwetch/Thank you. smile, Wally

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.