Rights to Jingle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ojibwaysweetie
    My appreciation to WhoMe who always puts up very good discussions. LOL. He gets us going in the forums!
    Boozhoo and Megwitch Ojibwaysweetie,

I think the purpose of powwows.com is to promote healthy exchange and dialogue for the purpose of learning "we have to remember our past and why we do things, before we move too far forward."

I fear for all tribal ways when they are intentionally or unintentionally MISINTERPRETED by tribes who are adopting their dances.

Two good examples of this misinterpretation of the jingle dance are the emcee who tells everybody that this dance "from a AZ point of view that the dress is used for strictly competition" and another emcee who's public misinterpretation stated, "that the dress was made for the native women to mock those flapper girls,....."

To me this is doing just what was done to Indian people - pure "EXPLOITATION!" When you take somebody elses tradition and make it your own and interpret it the way you see fit.

This IS exploitation.

crazywolf,

I would like to present a question, to the Anishinabe Kwe's:

"Can someone other than Anishinabe Kwe's, purchase or make their own dress, adopt your dance and use it to heal?"
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Boozhoo niji,

(Originally posted by Who Me)

Boozhoo and Megwitch Ojibwaysweetie,

I think the purpose of powwows.com is to promote healthy exchange and dialogue for the purpose of learning "we have to remember our past and why we do things, before we move too far forward."

I fear for all tribal ways when they are intentionally or unintentionally MISINTERPRETED by tribes who are adopting their dances.

Two good examples of this misinterpretation of the jingle dance are the emcee who tells everybody that this dance "from a AZ point of view that the dress is used for strictly competition" and another emcee who's public misinterpretation stated, "that the dress was made for the native women to mock those flapper girls,....."

To me this is doing just what was done to Indian people - pure "EXPLOITATION!" When you take somebody elses tradition and make it your own and interpret it the way you see fit.

This IS exploitation.

crazywolf,

I would like to present a question, to the Anishinabe Kwe's:

"Can someone other than Anishinabe Kwe's, purchase or make their own dress, adopt your dance and use it to heal?"

Who me I cannot say thankyou enough for these wise words, Miigwetch!

I will try to answer this question, I am by no means an expert in Ojibwe tradition (I have a lot to learn!) but I will try to use my common sense in this.

If a person, not of Anishinaabe descent, wishes to dance jingle in a healing way, I feel then they need to go through all the steps that a Anishinaabe Ikwe would have to go through to do the same. I dont know what those steps are, but it would be the only right way. I feel like it would be inappropriate for her to buy the dress, but I think it would be ok if one was gifted to her. I am not sure but I guess it also depends on the situation. I am not sure if the girls have to make their own dresses, but it seems to make since if they sat down with an Elder and learned how to do all of these things side by side with them, and then the dress was gifted to them in the end. In the process I am sure stories would be told. I do know for a fact that its the stories that keep our people together.

I was at this show last Tuesday, where things went really wierd. There was a young jingler there, and she was going to dance to this man who only knew Christian type songs to sing. I asked her if she would prefer dancing to a genuine jingle sidestep song, via CD player. She said she did not know how to side step. I told her that she cannot learn that if there is no one to play that kind of song. When she would hear the song, she would know what to do. I was going to go out and get my cd.

In the meantime she started to dance to something that man was singing, and it was all like... umm fancy shawl or something. It looked really wierd. I decided to go get the cd. I was half dressed, out in a highschool parking lot, and looking through my collection till i found the right one. Whitefish Bay Jr. pow wow 2K. I put that in, got the shoop shoop going and she started dancing side step.

She said that she had never done that before, and I said that its probably because there are no drums down here that know how to play that kind of song. I mean... all we have are southern drums, and this is a Northern Ojibwe song...

The bad thing is, when the song was played for real, in front of the audience, she still did that fancy step after the MC announced a "genuine representation of the Jingle dance"

I hope that guy loses my phone number, either that or I just need to get out of Florida. *sigh*

Derek
      I believe in something I want to believe, not what someone wants me to believe.

Comment

tuck & roll

Comment

Question: Understanding that the jingle dress belongs to the Ojibs, how do u feel when your own tribal dancers, dance a category that belongs to another tribe? Not to cause arguments here, but wonder if you ask yourself how many dancers really were given the right to dance their category that belongs to another tribe?, i.e. Traditional bustle dance, this was a dance of the Omaha, given to the Sioux. Does, Ojibs,Navajos, Crees, etc.... go about the right way to dance that category? I see your concern for your jingle dress category.

Comment

Hey,

I dont feel anything one way or another if my brothers and sisters want to dance a different style. I am not going to say anything about who has the right to dance what style. I dance fancy, which came from the Ponca, and was adopted by all the other tribes in time. I was never given permission by anyone to dance fancy, didnt think I had to.

Its like I said, its pow wow dancing, and a lot of stuff goes. I dont feel that these ladies performing the dance at a pow wow are disrespecting jingle dress dancing, just as long as they are not saying that they are actually doing the medicine. Those ladies have to be given the right to do that thing.

Derek
            I believe in something I want to believe, not what someone wants me to believe.

Comment

doin other styles

It is true that northern tradish was begun by the omaha.The dance and songs where given away by them to others who in turn gave or sold the same to others.Those who received put their own spin on them (clothing,beadwork) but kept them true to the original as possible.This is how the ojibs received the northern tradish style.Those that take other styles should enter it with the utmost respect, that the originators deserve. IE give aways, sacrifice if need be.

Comment

I am not a jingle dancer but the way I was taught is that there are certain things that you must do before being granted permission to jingle. I have a lot of respect for tradition and feel that you should follow it as much as possible. I have seen Jingle dresses for sell at pow wows and personally I do not feel that you have the right to dance jingle just because you have a jingle dress. Also I was taught that jingle dancers should take part in making their own regalia because of the signifigance of it.
                Great Love and Great Achievments Involve Great Risk

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X