scallop lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scallop lines

HEllo I need some help .......... i was woundering how you put scallop lines on your dress it looks really hard you know the ones that go ~~~~UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU ~~~~ haha yeaa sorry if it confuses people but i just dont know how to figure it out help ME PLease !

Do you mean where you have the jingles sewn on?
    If so I can help you :)
    NO MY EYES REALLY DONT LOOK LIKE THAT........ THATS ME AS A BRATZ DOLL ;)

http://pages.ivillage.com/sagkeengpowwow2003/

Some guys are good with their drum sticks.... and some just arent...:karate:

Comment

it's really not that hard, just takes some careful sewing. Pin your material and lining material together, right sides together. Then sew the scallop shapes along the edge - you can draw the line first as a guide with a seamstress's pencil or anything that won't stain the fabric or bleed through. Sew along the curves, and when you reach the "V" point between scallops, lift the foot of the sewing machine and turn the fabric to do the next curve. You can sew slowly, just make sure you keep the thread tension good. Once you've sewn the line of scallops, trim your edge - usually 1/4" - along the scalloped line you've sewn. Clip the curves - make little "v" notches along each curve (point towards the stitching line, wide end out), so the fabric won't bunch when you turn it right side out. Cut them in close to the stitches, but be careful not to clip your stitches. Then turn it right side out and carefully push each curve out to your sewing line. Then iron it to get a nice crisp edge. Hope that's clear enough. You might want to practice it on some scrap material first to get the hang of it.
      - zeph

Comment

Hey thats pretty good I think Ill try that

Comment

hm, what method would you have suggested, eagleclan? that's the only way I know to sew a scalloped edge... :Thinking
          - zeph

Comment

I wouldnt have suggested that way, lol because really Ive never actually tried it so what I was saying was .......
            I think Ill try that. not I think Ill try it that way....lol, does that make any sense, but I do all my sewing freestyle, no patterns no nothing Ive been sewing now for about 12 years and Im only 22 my mom taught me young and have no formal training whatsoever so a lot of these terms I dunno what they are, mind you I do pretty good work behind the sewing machine so maybe I can take some pics and share them once I get back to my place where theres a camera alrighty! :)

Have a great day
            :Angel2

Comment

i was woundering how you put scallop lines on your dress it looks really hard you know the ones that go ~~~~UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU ~~~~

Squishy - are you taking about the bias tape lines for attaching jingles or as Zeph suggests the hem with scallops?

Need to be specific so we can give you the right answers

Comment

yeah, what she said! lol...

ok eagleclan, I get it now... thought maybe you had some special trick you were holding back! :p
                - zeph

Comment

whats a scallop ????? :Mad LOL...i'm confused???
                  .o0~CLAY~0o.

Comment

a scallopped (sp) edge looks like she drew at the top - hard to show with the limited keyboard on a computer. Zeph gave instruction on sewing the actual edge. I would do it the same way -- really simpler than it looks. Tricky part is scalloping the bias tape and getting it to come out even. Takes alot of measuring and pinning to get your placement right.

Comment

sorry Ive been away for awhile (School) I was surprised to see the responce thanks Zeph for your responce i will have to try that, sorry about my post, I should have been more Specific what I ment was the scallops with the Bias tape. soo it doesnt look sloopy, whatever help you can give would be greatly appriciated :D

Comment

I would think that it depends on the number of jingles that you intend to use for each scallop. I have made a dress like this and after making the body of the dress, I laid it out on a flat surface and layed the jingles out in the way I wanted. Then take the bias tape, lay it down and pin it following the way cones are laid out. The points or corners (whatever you call them) have to be folded/creased to lay flat. Sew in place and attach jingles.

This way worked for me and the dress turned out beautiful. Hope it helps. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Would really be a benefit to all if someone could post some photos. Anybody have any?:)
                          "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Dangggggggg..... almost 4 yrs later and still no pics??? Ya' all are slowwwwwww.....

jk Thought I'd bring this good method back up...
                            "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

I did a couple dresses with scallops, but I don't think I can find a pic.

I sketched out the scallops with plates, I believe. The smaller the plate, the more "looped" the scallops were.

After sketching out the scallop line, I sewed the jingles down, then went over it with the bias tape. On the points, I had to trim where I folded the bias over. That way, it was much less bulky.

I'll go look for my pics now. See you in 4 years!
                              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X