mama dancing- offensive or ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mama dancing- offensive or ok?

heartfelt handshake.... I am hoping for some feedback from other female dancers on this question. My children are all enrolled tribal members, however I am not, I am white. Their father is a tradit.dancer and we are wanting to start our children out dancing, I make our families regalia and am working on my daughters outfit now.

There are no women dancers in his family to help start out our daughter dancing. She LOVES to dance, but is shy and will only go out to dance if I go with her, and then will only dance if I actually dance with her, then she goes crazy and really cuts loose!

I want to set a good example for my daughter, and I know it will be easier for her if I show her by example, rather than sitting on the sidelines trying to "tell" her what to do. I feel a little foodlish, like, sticking out like a sore thumb dancing around in my jeans, my kids are old enough to start wondering why mama is excluded, and I want to help my daughter feel good about her dancing, culture and regalia, not to teach her racial division within our family as we all follow this path together. I want my children to be raised in their beautiful Dakota way. I want our family to have the strength of unity for our children.

I would love to make myself some regalia and dance on intertribals with my daughter, as our sons dance with their father. However, I have been to enough powwows to know that the white "wannabe" dancers are ridiculed by many, and I can understand why. I only want to dance with my daughter, to start her off in a good way for her early years and to have our family be strong by dancing together.

How do other dancers feel about this?

In respect, beadinmama

No I don't think it would be offensive to dance however I think you should truely learn about the dance, talk with elders from your kids' tribe and just ask a lot of questions and learn before you try anything. Also do a lot of watching, that way when you teach your daughter you will be teaching her the correct things. I think that is sweet you want to dance for her, I have seen mother daughter dance specials and the mother and daughter have matching regalias, it was way cute. Just remember to show everything and everyone with a lot of respect, its more than just putting an 'outfit' on and more than just dancing. I think that you have good intentions.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.