Cleaning Jingle Dress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Jingle Dress

I have an older jingle dress that needs to be cleaned. I think it is made of a cotton material, not sure, but I don't know how to clean it, short of taking off all the beads and cones. I would really appreciate any tips you might have.

Just use a big tub with cold water and woolite or something gentle like that. Just dunk it a few time, and spot scrub the stains if necessary. Rinse well, changing your water a couple times. Hang to dry in an area with good circulation, NOT in the sunlight, tho.

No need to take anything off!
    ...it is what it is...

Comment

I never knew that was possible, to put the whole dress in the tub! at myself Thanks for the info rose:)

Comment

Thank you, Wyo Rose! I guess I know how I'll be spending my Saturday morning!

Comment

Put a little tide with bleach on the stains, put it in a pillow case and close it up with those thick rubber bands and then put it in the washing machine. This is how I wash all my dresses and they always look new!!! Yes they have lots of desgins and jingles on them!
          "Some of ya biggest haters are really ya biggest admirers. Their pride and fear won't allow them to tell ya the truth!" Litefoot

Comment

my mom always washs my sisters stuff with wool lite stuff and then lets it air dry always seems to work depends on if you have alot of designs that might bleed........ then i would just make a new dress

Comment

Pillow case + washer = squeaky clean dress :)
              NO MY EYES REALLY DONT LOOK LIKE THAT........ THATS ME AS A BRATZ DOLL ;)

http://pages.ivillage.com/sagkeengpowwow2003/

Some guys are good with their drum sticks.... and some just arent...:karate:

Comment

LOL I've had jingles that cut the pillow case to shreds but didn't hurt the dress a bit. :Thinking lol

I usually spot clean mine in the sink or just wash it fully in the sink then take it through a few rinses like Rose said. Comes out nice. So fresh and so clean clean.:Chatter
                SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

BEE CAREFUL washing your dress in the washing machine. Don't do it unless you know your dress was very well put together. One of my girl's aunties washed a dress like that and all the jingles came off!!
                  ...it is what it is...

Comment

the uncleanable jingle dress!

Any tips on cleaning a jingle dress which is mostly satin--can't get it wet really, so what the heck do I do?:Help
                    sigpic

See my trading post ads
                    See my photo gallery
                    See walela49's myspace page

Comment

All my dresses are satin with lots of applique designs, I wash them in a pillow case in the washing machine!
                      "Some of ya biggest haters are really ya biggest admirers. Their pride and fear won't allow them to tell ya the truth!" Litefoot

Comment

cleaning satin jingle dresses

do your dresses not spot as they dry?
                        do you iron them really well after they dry?
                        all the satin I've ever gotten wet looks water-stained and very wrinkled...I need to pick your brain, ginewqua! Tell me more!
                        sigpic

See my trading post ads
                        See my photo gallery
                        See walela49's myspace page

Comment

i wash all my dresses with a pillow case and the washing machine. i have some cotton dresses and some satin dresses. i never get water spots on my satin dresses, and iron them after they air dry. and i agree with wyo_rose about knowing if your dresses are well put together. one dress that my mom did not make had some of the jingles come off while in the washer. but none of my mom's dresses have ever gotten "tore up" while in the washer. hope this helps

Comment

Washing Satin

As long as the satin is the polyester kind (if you paid less than $7/yard for it, it probably is), you should be able to wash it in the pillow case without any problems. You may want to fray-check (you can get it at Wal-Mart or a fabric store) the raw edges of the seams, etc., to keep them from fraying.

Use cold water settings and "gentle" cycle. We hang dry them outside. We only wash the dance outfits on clear, warm days. Also, after it dries, use spray SIZING (not starch) to press it and give it back the "body" it had before you washed it.

My daughter has velvet, cotton, and satin jingle dresses. We've washed the cotton and the satin using the pillow case method with no problems. The velvet isn't washable. We've washed my niece's satin fancy shawl dresses the same way with the same results.

Nagi
                            Be the change you want to happen.

Comment

I was my jingle dresses in the bathtub with Woolite and vinegar. I don't know how much I put in, just a little. Not so much vinegar that it smells. Swish it around in there for awhile, and scrub any dirty spots. Then let the tub drain and refill it. Rinse the dress a few times till the dress doesn't have any sudsy water on it or in the tub. Then, I hang it up inside. I blow dry the heavier weight fabric one.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X