Old Style or Contemporary???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Style or Contemporary???

K ladies. Do yall dance old style or contemorary? My uncle is very tradish and always wants me to dance old style. I'm seventeen so sometimes I feel like I'm the only girl my age who dances old style. Most others my age dance all fancy when they dance jingle. (no offense girls) Does anyone else out there dance old style??? What do yall think of this style???
    Last edited by butterfly_23; 04-05-2006, 09:41 AM.

i dance old style and always have, i tried the contemp style but it wasnt me. When i look at the old vids of me i look more graceful when dancing old style. so i stuck to it, there arent many of old stlye jinglers left, so i am one to say i'm very proud of the younger ones who are carrying it on. but all in all its up to you, but just know you are not alone.
    There can only be 2 moccasins on your feet at one time...however life has given me many pair...along with a needle, thread and really sharp teeth to cut with...lmao

http://www.myspace.com/anty_tweeb

Comment

My daughter will be coming out in old style jingle at the end of August at my granny's memorial. Her dress is being made out of the same fabric I used on granny's burial dress, and the cones will be the copenhagen lids that she had shown my brother how to collect, and roll out years ago. The designs on the dress have special meaning between myself and granny, as she was the one who named my horse when I was a kid. She named my horse "Wocus" which is a principle food staple of my people long ago. My daughter is learning and being taught to dance old style only. I feel and she feels this is the only way to dance in this dress that will hold such special meanings to the entire family.

Comment

old style

i was always taught to dance oldsytle it looks more graceful no offense to any one out dere contemperary is nice and pertyful too but mah fam is traditional so that is how i dance
        ~*~Life is wut u make it~*~

Comment

Yeah...it's always nice to say we are dancing in the "old style". Theres a lot of girls that I noticed on here saying that they dance the "ol' style" jingle....well what do u know about the ol' style.......take out your regalia and think about it.....
          what colors are you using?
          How many cones are you using? (Most of the ol' skool jingle dress dancers didnt have 365-366 cones on thier dress', they had enough to fill in and "jingle" when they danced..... right? So, think about your # of cones.)
          What do u carry with? Let me guess, u have a handbag, a handkerchief, a fan, and tons of feathers in your hair.
          ***I think everyone catches my drift.....what I am tryin to say is.....dont say your dancing "traditional jingle", if you dont have the regalia, the steps, and the knowledge to back it up!

Comment

very good point...

Comment

Originally posted by traddancer2021
              Yeah...it's always nice to say we are dancing in the "old style". Theres a lot of girls that I noticed on here saying that they dance the "ol' style" jingle....well what do u know about the ol' style.......take out your regalia and think about it.....
              what colors are you using?
              How many cones are you using? (Most of the ol' skool jingle dress dancers didnt have 365-366 cones on thier dress', they had enough to fill in and "jingle" when they danced..... right? So, think about your # of cones.)
              What do u carry with? Let me guess, u have a handbag, a handkerchief, a fan, and tons of feathers in your hair.
              ***I think everyone catches my drift.....what I am tryin to say is.....dont say your dancing "traditional jingle", if you dont have the regalia, the steps, and the knowledge to back it up!
              what you mean ,i was taught to dance right since i was a lil girl and the most cones i use is less than 200 but that still alot and mah colors they are not all flashy material and neon they are plain and simple, my steps are basic i dont cross and kick or dance backwards and my knowlledge is pretty well on the jingle style of how it was so no im not jis sayin i dance old style cause it sounds nice!!
              ~*~Life is wut u make it~*~

Comment

i'm danciing contempory style this summer and next year i plan to go back to old style.because i taught the traditional way.
                ~*don't panic, eat bannok*~

Comment

Hey Ladies. Just wanted to put in my two cents. As for me, I have, and always will, dance old style! It's the only way for me. It is very graceful and sets me apart from others. I've had other jingle dress dancers come up to me and ask me stuff, like, why don't I wear plumes or why I don't spin or dance backwards. Hello! If you are dancing this style and don't know the answers to questions like that yourself, well, I just don't know. I'm half Lakota and my moms she's half Oneida and very knowledgeable about the dress. She made me a new dress when I ran for MIW 2002 and I asked for 365 jingles and she flat out said No because we had no one to bless it and also she said it wouldn't be right because I would be competing in it. (I wanted to dance for my friends who need prayers and strength) I always pray for and feast my dresses. I'm 29 now and just started wearing one plume on my left side, lakota style, and NOT in back. Sorry, that is just too Pocahontas for us! Oh, and the main thing is I have been sundancing since I was six and have been taught to always be humble (and sober!). I save my eagle feathers for ceremonies. Prayer works, girls, try it, and you will be able to answer your own questions. I just think it is so honorable to dance old style. The spirits love it too!
                  Woc'ekiya-Praying, Wa o'hola-Respect, Wa on'sila-Compassion, Wowiiake-Honesty

Comment

Old V.s. Contemp. Dance Style

Hello I'm catching up on some reading at powwow's .com and came across this post, I was wondering... but i want to ask, so what is Tradish for Jingle Dress regalia? I got to thinking about it, and it's almost like i could remember anymore--I've been out of the dance circle for long time, now my own niece and daughter are starting to dance and my sister said "they need to be strictly Traditional no feathers no fans or fancy smancy head pieces. I said ok, So one nice barrette and earrings and a small bag to put on there belt ? I tried to remember way back to when i was dancing, so i couldn't remember. What does it consist so i'm correctly replying with correct info. I say it's better to know than find out my info was wrong. Thanks any helpful imformation is will be greatly appreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly_23 View Post
                      K ladies. Do yall dance old style or contemorary? My uncle is very tradish and always wants me to dance old style. I'm seventeen so sometimes I feel like I'm the only girl my age who dances old style. Most others my age dance all fancy when they dance jingle. (no offense girls) Does anyone else out there dance old style??? What do yall think of this style???
                      I like the idea of your uncle wanting you to dance old style. I'd say that this style of dancing is coming back, so why would you want to label yours self? Not only that, I love this style and if you ask me listen to your heart and do what it feels like dancing. It's time to touch back on our traditional ways and not being some things were not, fancy?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.