Sewing questions.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewing questions.......

Ok..... a couple quick questions. First off..... I need this done in less than two weeks............... HOW THE HECK AM I GOING TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT?????

Got that out of my system....... so here's the other ones...

I'm doing this dress in crepe satin so I'm lining it with a cotton..... when you all do that I figure it's best to work it as one. How do you keep the layers together...... just pin or do you heat and bond certain places?

Then how do you get and keep your lines straight and designs where everything matches up? I'm doing some veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy intricate designs. I'm afraid my designs will be lower on one arm than the other or my jingle rows.... I know........ I worry too much. But I was wondering....... how do you measure and mark to make sure that does not happen. Eyeballin it won't get it with these designs!!!

Thanks gals....... I knew ya all would come through for me
    Last edited by Mato Winyan; 07-28-2006, 02:08 PM.
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

I don't have any tips on this subject as my MIL does my dresses.
    But I was wondering....how is it coming along?
    Like those who came before us and those that will follow; so shall we dance.

Comment

I hope I am not too late in answering your question......

When using a lining, it helps to baste the layers together. Use big stitches so they will be easy to take out later. Best to do by hand since the layers will shift under your machine's presser foot in spite of tons of pinning. I would not use the Heat n Bond for attaching a lining, its too stiff. You could attach the lining before you do the applique or after, your choice. If doing it before, you could iron on some freezer paper to stabilize as you do the applique sewing. When done, rip it off. After applique is complete, then attach the lining.

As for gettiing designs to match up, I measure, measure, and measure! For getting the jingle rows to line up on the skirt portion I sew the two skirt portions together on one side so that the whole skirt is one piece. Then I put the jingles on long rows. Don't sew your bias or ribbon all the way to the end on one side as this will give you some wiggle room so that you can match up the other end exactly when you finally sew the skirt closed. Once matched up, you can go back over the top to secure the tape the rest of the way.

Let us know how it turns out!

Comment

woooooooooo!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! wooooooooooo!! Wiggle room!!! woooooooooooooooooooo!!! That helps a lot!!!

That was a prob I had one time.... dang.

And no.......... it's not too late! Thanks a bunch!!
        "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X