Southern or Northern!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern or Northern!?!?!

hey this is to all you jinglerz out there, which style of drum group do you prefer to dance to...northern, or southern?? as for me, i prefer northern!
    Northern
    90.91%
    Southern
    9.09%
    Last edited by eagle_plume999; 03-08-2003, 12:01 PM.
    ~how u want that? tell me how u want that~baby how u wanna give it to me? a bad boy iz whut i need uh huh~

OMG I cant believe I have to admit it but when it comes time for contest I prefer to dance to a GOOD northern drum. Dont get me wrong southern is my favorite to listen to and sing with but when I dance Jingle I just can jam better to northern.
    ~* Tha ONE and ONLY RAE RAE..dont let cheap imitations fool you*~

Comment

Southern drums rarely have a jinle dress song. A good arena director will juggle the rotation so a northern drum will get the contest somg.

Same thing would happen if a southern style dance contest is coming up. He'd make sure a southern drum got the song.

No need for this question. Then again, you'll never know if you don't ask.:)

Comment

Sorry Harold but your news is old news...dont you think we know that already.....I happen to sing with a southern drum. Still its a good question to ask cuz sometimes a southern drum still has to sing for a jingle contest , even though what you said was true ,things arent always like that.....I should know....I have had southern drums sing many times for my contest.
        Last edited by blingblingjinglediva; 03-08-2003, 12:16 AM.
        ~* Tha ONE and ONLY RAE RAE..dont let cheap imitations fool you*~

Comment

i agree....i have had many southern drums for my contest as well :)
          ~how u want that? tell me how u want that~baby how u wanna give it to me? a bad boy iz whut i need uh huh~

Comment

Northern all the way!!

I don't like dancing to southern drums, just my preference, just cuz Im from the north and used to the Northern tunes... hehe, I got love for southern drums too tho.;) I love side steps with the tails too. I've danced quite a few contest songs too to southern drums, so it really isn't all that uncommon, I sure do appreciate it tho' when they work it out to where a northern drum can jam for us.

Comment

Northern just keeps me moving!

Comment

I prefer Northern, although I've danced several songs to Southern, Northern does keep me going.

*Chenna*
                TARHEEL BORN, TARHEEL BRED, WHEN I DIE I'LL BE TARHEEL DEAD!

MizzQaqimat's Space

Comment

IF I danced jingle, I'd prefer Northern song. But I do like Southern songs too. I'd just prefer to dance to N. :)
                  "Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it."

~ Ah nech me hewet ~ :49:

Comment

i'd rather dance to northern songs jus cuz i can jam better to them, a real good northern song will get me goin
                    but last year seemed like i ALWAYS got a souther song sheesh..... jkz
                    ~*~¤(¯`·._» >The Prettiest People do the Ugliest things <«_.·´¯)¤ ~*~

Comment

i prefer northern...southern is just to difficult to dance to..

Comment

northern drum is easier for me to dance to!:mrcool:

Comment

jingle dress dancers should not have to dance to a southern drum. I dont care if they are supposed to be "champion dancers" or whatever. it just shouldn't happen.
                          later:clapping:
                          Mens inhumanity to each other is surpassed ONLY by what women do to each other.
                          <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
                          Quote: "I blame it on my youngnessness..." BTH
                          DEATH TO ALL LURKERS!!!! ME

Comment

Ok - If your a Jingle Dancer at a Pow-Wow and the only drum there is Southern.......

Our drum knows that sometimes we'll get a Northern Style of dance, so we know some Northern Style songs. Jingle, Side-Step, Grass, Northern Tradtional, Sneak-up, Fancy Shawl, etc.

But be prepared for a good old Southern Fancy Feather song, if thats what we get in the rotation.

But really, the drum should try and sing a song that makes the dancers dance there best. So it is important to match the style of the song with the dance.
                            That is the purpose of singing anyway, to make the dancers dance.
                            J~Dawg - the one and only!!!
                            In NDN Paradise!!!

Comment

If the only drum at a powwow is a southern drum then it must be the center drum. so then it must be at a southern powwow. so then I guess a jingle dress dancer may have to dance to a southern drum but that dont mean they want to?
                              jingle dress dance originated in the north, so I dont think a northern drum would sing a southern song for them? I've seen northern drums sing southern songs for fancy, but that was a request from the M.C. That still dont make it right, if you want a southern song get a southern drum to sing.
                              Mens inhumanity to each other is surpassed ONLY by what women do to each other.
                              <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
                              Quote: "I blame it on my youngnessness..." BTH
                              DEATH TO ALL LURKERS!!!! ME

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X