Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plumes

Hey all,

Ok ok I am still working on my daughters dress and I am getting ready to work on her bead work and I needd to know how I go about to make and attach the flumes that are with the barret on her head?
    I must say this is more work than I ever thought it would be but will be well worth it when it is done. I give all praise for all hard work that you do on your Dresses and other regalia. This is from a dad that is making a jingle dress for the first time for my daughter. I have much respect for all of you. Dohiyi

i think that's the nicest thing that you made ur daughter a jingle dress.. :D i wish i could help you on the plume issue but, i can't :(

but, good luck ;)

P.S Post pic's i want to see it when it's done!! :D
    ~*~ FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS TAKE HOME UGLY SNAGS ~*~

Comment

for the plumes that go on the back of the head ...

What I do, I use a wire hanger and bend it into a U position that will fit into my barret, then I used a super duper good tape and placed my plumes all along the wire, taped them around, then when I got to the bottom, I beaded it around the wire so that it dosent show.

Hope that made sense and hope it helped a bit.
      NO MY EYES REALLY DONT LOOK LIKE THAT........ THATS ME AS A BRATZ DOLL ;)

http://pages.ivillage.com/sagkeengpowwow2003/

Some guys are good with their drum sticks.... and some just arent...:karate:

Comment

thank you eagleclan22, yes that makes alot of since.

Comment

just duck tape it up...ayes... i got some pretty dope plumes and what i do is ,use that whit sports tape and tape the plumes,to a hard stick, plastic spoon or fork tip, or even a nail file, and i dont connect them to my barret cause i want the freedom to change bead works and make new barretts for my out fits,,,,, but hey, these are ideas that i use when im on tha powwow trail and got ta do a rush job... other than that i get my man to fix em:D

Comment

lol .....duck tape. hhhhmmmm I wonder..... lol naaaaaa
            I have been knowen to use duck tape on other things like when I want to keep the children quit. lol ayeeee

Comment

mills,

I currently have my plumes attached to a big barrette as well. What my uncle did was to use those skewer things you use for shishakabobs, you can pick them up at dollar stores. Next, he used the tip of the skewer and put it into the end of the plume. Duct taped that the base of the plume and wooden skewer, and then covered the skewer and plume with white leather. The white leather is then glued into place using Epoxy glue, let dry, and then we mounted them onto the Barrette using moosehide, and arranged all of the plumes accordingly.

Oh yeah, one more thing, the white leather was stitched up the side with sinew.

But alot of females do what that other jingler suggested. To make the U-shaped holder out of hanger. This allows you to interchange your accessories :) I probably will end up re-arranging my plumes doing this as well. Hope that helps.

R.

Comment

Wado all for the awesome repsonces. I now have some insight to this and can't wait for more.
                I noticed that some have these large plumes...where do I pick these up and which type are they?

Dohi

Comment

The big plumes are eagle plumes. That's what I have. You can't just pick them up anywhere. You have to be given them, or get them from the fish and wildife services, there's other ways to get them, like from a tribal religious leader, etc. Its not legal to have them unless you have hte papers on them, or you have your CDIB--that's in the US...
                  TARHEEL BORN, TARHEEL BRED, WHEN I DIE I'LL BE TARHEEL DEAD!

MizzQaqimat's Space

Comment

If the plume is for your daughter I would suggest using the imitation plumes that you can buy out of Noc Bay or Crazy Crow. That is what I'll be using for my little sisters plumes. I say this because if its a younger kid and still learning how to take care of thier outfits, the imitation plumes are not as precious as real eagle plumes. So if the tip breaks or one falls off its not that big of a deal you can just replace it.

Comment

Osiyo all,

Ok well I made hers plumes for my daughter and they came out great thanks to you all. I used the idea wit hthe wire hanger that Eagleclann22 gave me and ajusted it alittle and them put the plumes on with some tape and then added white leather like Sweetsyilx said and then at the top of the leather where it meets the plumes I ran a couple ofrows of little white pearl looking beads to finish them up. The bead idea came from Eagleclan22 as well.
                      The hanger is bent in such a way that it kind of locks it self in the Barret on top but slides dowm some so it is in tight. It works well.
                      Thank you to all of you for the help...... Dohiyi.
                      Oh ya I did use the duch tape.......it does work great to hold the kids still long anough to get some work done. lol ayyyeeeeeee j/k

Comment

mills,

you should post a pic of your hardwork :)

R.

Comment

I will post a pic as soon as i take one. ;)

Comment

an advantage too over using the wooden sticks is that the wire wont crack ... Glad I could be a help

Once you go wire you'll never retire ... (lol, just made that up... ha ha):Chatter :Chatter
                            NO MY EYES REALLY DONT LOOK LIKE THAT........ THATS ME AS A BRATZ DOLL ;)

http://pages.ivillage.com/sagkeengpowwow2003/

Some guys are good with their drum sticks.... and some just arent...:karate:

Comment

Ok I put a pic in the gallery but it has t owait pending. lol
                              It is under Crafts/ Misc. The pic didn't come out to clear but it will due until I get film for the 35mm. he he he
                              Oh ya I tried to post it here but it was too big...not sure how to make it smaller.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X