Purses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purses

Just curious, how many of you jinglers carry purses ? I am tempted to make one for an upcoming pow-wow.

R.
    Yes
    60.00%
    No
    21.67%
    Sometimes
    18.33%

I really think they look good. when theyre not to big :D

Comment

i made chenoa a purse to match her pink/black jingle dress-- i thought it looked nice

Comment

the purse for the jingle dress is to hold your medicines when you dance.... so you are prepared if and when the occasion calls for it.
        Miigwetch

all's fair in love and pow wow.... see ya around

Comment

Mine's in the works right now.. It's almost done :D woohoo!! I did it all by myself too!! My 3rd big project!! :D

:Angel2

Comment

Purses

I use one! I think it looks nice as long as it's not too big

Comment

Originally posted by nimkiikwe_49
              the purse for the jingle dress is to hold your medicines when you dance.... so you are prepared if and when the occasion calls for it.
              I don't have any choice, I HAVE to carry meds, so I have a small purse I carry with me.

But this season I don't know ... I'm due to have a baby in Sept, my husband doesn't want me to dance at all this season, what do you think?

Comment

Lil Bird,

When I was pregnant, my family insisted that if I wanted to dance, then I should switch over to tradish for the season. But I was told not to dance jingle, not sure why exactly, but if my elders told me no, then Im not going to question them. So maybe you might wanna switch categories for the the summer. Do you really want to be dancing jingle when you are late into your pregnancy ? It will probably get uncomfortable during the later part of the season.

R.

Comment

I can answer that for ya...
                  I dance jingle, Jingle is from Ojibway, I am Ojibway....
                  THere are teachings that we have about dancing whie you are pregnant and its a no no. A woman does not dance while she is pregnant because ,, well even carryig a child in the arbour is a no no its like giving away. WHen we have give aways we hold the things we are given in the arbour and raise them up, carrying your child in your tummy is seen as the same thing, so when you dance while your pregnant its like your offering your baby back to the creator, and if your not careful he could take it away from you.

That is the teaching behind dancing while pregnant, and that is why its a no no... maybe thats why.
                  Hope that helped a bit.
                  NO MY EYES REALLY DONT LOOK LIKE THAT........ THATS ME AS A BRATZ DOLL ;)

http://pages.ivillage.com/sagkeengpowwow2003/

Some guys are good with their drum sticks.... and some just arent...:karate:

Comment

I agree with eagleclan22,
                    I am from Ojibwe country too and the teachings that you are not to carry a child into the circle just as she said. The child has to walk into the circle on their own.
                    I have seen people who carry their babies and young children while they are dancing and they are asked to leave the circle for that very reason, because if you carry a child into the circle , you are offering the child to the creator.

It's best to take the time off and know your child before coming back into the circle to dance.

Comment

Yes....I agree also!!!

Comment

Yur Dang tootin!

Yeah I have a purse, got the ol Injin Medz in it. Its a goot one!:)
                        ..::First ever 2002-2003 Powwows.com Princess::..
                        ~*~*~* The original POWWOWCHIC49 *~*~*~
                        *~*JINGLE IT*~*

Comment

yay always carry purse...but to be honest ya shouldnt be danceing at al when yar pregnant ..becca

Comment

Re: Purses

Originally posted by Sweet Syilx
                            Just curious, how many of you jinglers carry purses ? I am tempted to make one for an upcoming pow-wow.

R.
                            There where ONLY two dances that had purses at the Skwlax powwow.... is that just a personal thing? I had thought all dancers ( jingle) had purses, fan, etc.... must be just me:p

Comment

In Praise of the OJIBWE

Sweet Sylix, Eagleclan22, Majii, Meezeekwee,

It is so refreshing to hear what all you beautiful Ojibwe women have to say about practicing your culture!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad one tribe on pws.com STEPS UP and are all in agreement on - when and when not to - do something because that is how your tribe believes!

Oh yes. ...Cultural integrity is STILL in da' house!

;;;;;"WAR HOOP";;;;;;; :Thumbs
                              Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X