Selling Outfits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Outfits

I was just wonderin' what everyone thought about people selling their old beadwork or dresses? Do you think its okay or are you against it?

I think that it is a good idea if there is no longer a use for it. One persons junk is another persons treasure, that's how I see. If it puts more people on the pow wow trail then more power to em.

Comment

give away

What I do when I do not wear a dress anymore I usually give it to a cousin, or younger person,or someone who I know would like to dance but has no one to get them started - u know? If I need to I will tailor etc. I think its a good idea to give a dress away. :Angel2
      Qe' ci'yew yew

Comment

I think its a good idea too just as long as it goes to someone who is gonna take care of it. Know what I mean?

Comment

well here is what i am doing.. the first jingle dress that i made looks really crappy now... like it is falling apart.... since it was my first one it was kinda trial and error..... but the jinges are fine on it. so i am making a competition dress and cutting the jingles off my first dress and using them for my competition dress.. saves alot of money and time. BUT if i knew someone who wanted to be a jingle dancer that i knew well i would give it to them... but as fr as selling i don't think i would because i made it. Kinda like to keep things i made to look at in the future...

~kelli
          If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

I usually keep my old dresses and use the materials for new ones. Right now I took apart my first dress (I sort of grew out of it) and I'm using the jingles on my new one. Recycling is good when jingles cost so much up here in Canada, like the last set of jingles I paid for cost me $300. same with the first dress. I do keep my dresses I would not give them away or sell them, too much sentimental value.

As far as Beadwork, I don't sell it unless it is newly made. I would rather give away my used beadwork to someone who needs it and would respect the work invlolved in making it.

Comment

Holy COW! 300 bucks for jingles? where you shoping?

Comment

Personally, i've never sold any of my stuff...I make all my dresses for my neices and i do their beadwork for free...since that is the case, i don't think that it would be right for them to sell the dresses i make for them. I do find it acceptable to give their stuff away to someone who may need it. But it has to be a dress that is still in good condition...since they're young teen girls yet...they can be pretty hard on their dresses.

Otherwise, if you paid for the dress/beadwork yourself or you made it yourself, i don't see a problem selling your old stuff so long as it is still in decent condition and not all rugged.

Comment

I haven't sold anything I guess it would be ok. But I would rather pass it on to someone younger who would take care of it.

Comment

Most of the time i give away my daughter's outfits to other kids that show a real interest in dancing. Sometimes they dont have anyone to make one or cant afford one, so I try my best to help them, although someone sold a outfit I gave them to a pawn shop because they needed money. oh well, i guess i still helped in a way.
                    Last edited by thizgirlpowwows; 04-20-2003, 12:37 AM.

Comment

selling dresses

Usually I clean my old dresses and give them away at family giveaways. I remember this one time I asked this certain girl to come to this ceremony cause she said she wanted to start dancing again, so she came to the giveaway and i told her ahead of time that she would get that dress. But yeah all my old dresses go to my little cousins. And if someone I know wants to start I will say come check my old stuff out. So usually I give them away.
                      "make friends,not enemies"

Comment

Holy COW! 300 bucks for jingles? where you shoping?
                        Yep, so far in Ontario, I have a real hard time looking for jingles for a reasonable price. Suppliers are rare and the people who do sell them mark the prices so high that I usually have to save up to buy them. My dresses are good for a couple more years before I start hunting for jingles again.

Comment

HHHMMM at one time I had a closet full of old dresses, shawls, skirts and all that good stuff...now I just have a few, I've sold or traded 5 jingle dresses and I've sold or traded about 6 shawls wit matchin skirts or dresses and one southern clothe dress...in the past 3 years.....I now still have 5 shawls, wit matchin skirts, my fancy cape and leggings..jewelry included...two southern clothes sets..crown and buckskin leggings included...but only one jingle dress and I dance jingle most of the time.....weird huh.... I always sell, trade or give away stuff I know I'm done wit. I have heard of people throwing their stuff away though...what do yall think bout that......????I cant imagine throwing away a jingle dress.
                          ~* Tha ONE and ONLY RAE RAE..dont let cheap imitations fool you*~

Comment

actually I pawned most my stuff........lol
                            ~* Tha ONE and ONLY RAE RAE..dont let cheap imitations fool you*~

Comment

I could never throw any of my stuff away!!! Especially after I spend all that time on makin' it. Now I think theres sumthin' wrong wit that!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X