Healing dresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healing dresses

How many of you believe in the power of a jingle dress?

Why?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

I do. My fourteen year old daughter just came out in jingle just about 1 year ago during my grandmothers memorial. We've been getting her ready for this since she was four years old. I was so proud of her last week. She and I went over to Lakota Thunder last weekend, so she could gift them, and request a traditional side-step in honor of her grandpa in Oregon who is slowly, but surely dying. Well, Mr. Yellowfat made the statement,"well you never know, your grandpa might get better." When the emcee asked if anyone could explain the jingle dance; the older girl looked dumbfounded, and my daughter stuck her hand right up and explained it fully, and then stated she was doing this song and prayer for her very ill grandpa in Oregon. He's still in the hospital, but he sure was tickled that she honored him in that way, he may even get to make it back to his house in his last days, which would be nice...

Comment

Oh thats just awesome. I'm gonna copy and email your post to some young ladies I know who think it's just a fad to dance jingle, and take ZERO time to know why they do what they do. My own little girl is being taught by an older lady who is making her dresses and made her beadwork, the ins and outs, so that when shes older, maybe she will be able to stand up and represent as well as you daughter did!! Good job!
      Ipsica Waci
      Wicahpi Eyoyambya Olowan

Comment

I do

When i was bout 7 or 8 my grandpa was diagnosed with cancer. He was given only maybe a few months to live. He was the closest grandpa i had, closer than my other one only cause i always visited them. My gramma, his wife is also soooo close to me. She's apache and she teaches me everythin i know about my culture. anyhoo, gramma always took me to pow wows when i was younger and told me all of the stories behind the dresses, the dances, the drums...and it was me who wanted to start dancing jingle for my grandpa. my gramma was so taken by that that it made her start crying. even though ive only really started dancing full out for the past few years i would practice all the time with my gramma at her house in new mexico ( ii still go hehe...who doesnt love grammas cookin ;]) and i ALWAYS dance in honor of my grandpa. and the amazing thing is that he has lived for the past 8 years!! he's already conquered the first cancer, another came back and he's fighting it right now all he can but he always says he knows its me dancing fer him thats keeping him strong i wuv my grandpa

hoola thats a long post im gonna be suprised if any of you guys even read it haha
        Sometimes The Greatest Strength, Is Gentleness.

Comment

I do. I feel honored when someone comes up to me with tobacco and asks that I dance for healing. That has not happened in several years but all the times I've been asked, it was at powwows in the Midwest. Maybe folks in other parts of the country aren't aware of this tradition?

Even so, I believe dancing can be a form of moving prayer and the drum has the ability to heal us no matter what dance style we choose. I've seen the effects in my own life.

Comment

I believe in it. But I also believe that it's not just the dress, it's the person wearing the dress. There aren't many jingle dancers down here so they hold them in high regards. I don't know how many people I've danced for, but I do know that their families are ever so grateful and believe that the healing power has helped in some way. I feel honored when people ask me to dance and pray for their loved ones.
            Don't ever stop dancing

Comment

Its true that not many jinglers out there know what the dance means etc. etc. hopefully that will change.

And mayche, what part of florida are you frum? I was born in gainseville.

Comment

Originally posted by MayChe View Post
                I believe in it. But I also believe that it's not just the dress, it's the person wearing the dress. There aren't many jingle dancers down here so they hold them in high regards. I don't know how many people I've danced for, but I do know that their families are ever so grateful and believe that the healing power has helped in some way. I feel honored when people ask me to dance and pray for their loved ones.
                Good observation.

I had talked about this in another thread when I finished my daughter's dress last year. She is to never use this dress in any sort of contest or competition, EVER... and she understands why.

Comment

I believe there is something to the jingle dress and its hard to explain. When I hear those jingles, it makes me tingle, and feel all good. Sometimes it may not be the physical healing we need but the spiritual or mental healing that our souls need. A thank you to all you traditional jinglers!

Comment

I believe in it as well. If watching a jingle dress dancer can bring up positive energy and feelings in someone, then I believe that it has met it's purpose. I have had many people come up to me and say how good they feel watching me dance. In turn, it makes me feel good. It is the reason why I dance this style.

Comment

I believe in the dress, & i agree it's a ombination of the dress & the dancer.

Good for your daughter Wocus Woman. I agree there are some who dance jingle as a fad. My daughter has wanter to dance jingle for a long time. I have made her wait, because I wanted her to be old enough to fully understand what it means to be a jingle dress dancer & what is expected of a jingle dress dancer. She is dancing Woman's tradish this year while preparing to come at as jingle next year. I hope she will be as respectful as Wocus Woman's daughter (or I'll be taking the dress back!!)

I to have had a friend danced for. And in time she got better, her's was not a physical illness, but a mental one & she is back with us, the best friend I had once no longer recognized is once again the Woman I knew.

Suzze

Comment

Originally posted by chitownshakinshells View Post
                        Its true that not many jinglers out there know what the dance means etc. etc. hopefully that will change.

And mayche, what part of florida are you frum? I was born in gainseville.
                        I'm in Jacksonville. Gator nation huh? lol

Yeah, I hope that will change too. I guess if you aren't exposed to it then you'll never know and it just becomes the cool thing to do.
                        Last edited by MayChe; 07-31-2007, 02:41 PM.
                        Don't ever stop dancing

Comment

Yeauh!!

Originally posted by MayChe View Post
                          I'm in Jacksonville. Gator nation huh? lol

Yeah, I hope that will change too. I guess if you aren't exposed to it then you'll never know and it just becomes the cool thing to do.

HEKKK YEA gator nation over here haha. i used to live a block away from the school. only baby on campus ayyye!! Ya live in Jacksonville? I go there all the time, i gotta a great aunt and uncle with my 1rst cousins out there. lol.

Comment

I do. Why? Because of what it's done, does, and continues to do.
                            SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X