• May 2003

making dresses

making dresses

who made your dress and how long did it take
    ~WHAZZUP~
    ~* SmOoChEz 2 u ALL*~
  • ~+~Heya~+~
    • Mar 2003

I make my own dresses (-n- my sisters) The first one took about a month cuz I never worked on it but my yellow one took about a week -n- a half! I just started my sisters new one so she can wear it June 13.

Comment

• sweet honey
      Pow Wow Visitor
      • May 2003

kewl. mines take so forever cause i try to put to much design on it and then i have to sew it on so mines take awhile
      ~WHAZZUP~
      ~* SmOoChEz 2 u ALL*~

Comment

• turquoise*schuy
        Tiny Tot Dancer
        • Mar 2003

My mom makes my dresses! I'm lucky! She can make my dresses in about 3 to 4 days but then again she's magic so she can do them overnight or 2 days!

Comment

• Miss_Nish
          Band Manager
          • Dec 2001

Wow... overnight!!.. Talented... I've been trying to start mine since forever. I'm just not sure where to start.. and I keep changing my designs... now I'm wondering if I'll have enough jingles.

I'll get it done.. soon I hope..
          ~* Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to *~

Comment

• JingleJammer
            Junior Dancer
            • Jul 2000

My mom makes all my dresses. if she's really in the sewing mood, she can get it all done in about a day and half to two days. some take longer, but its all good because i love all my dresses. i usually put the jingles, its my one job in making my dresses! :)

Comment

• Ruby 2sday
              PowWows.com Addicts
              • Sep 2000

I make my own and if I work on it consistently I can get it done in 3-4 days...but when I got school and work take me bout a week...my next one will probably take a little longer because I want to take my time on it!
              Last edited by Roobz; 01-14-2004, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• SqUish
                Banned
                • Sep 2002

Gawwwl yallz are fast usally it takes me like a month just cause i dunno somtimes i dont feel it ... and let it sit there .... but i say the longest part is sewing everythaaang down

Comment

• ~Miengun Mum~
                  Tiny Tot Dancer
                  • Apr 2003

:D THE FASTEST I MADE A DRESS WAS 8 HOURS. JUST DESIGNS ON THE TOP FRONT AND BACK. I GOT MY SEWING TALENT FROM MY GRAND MUM!!!!!!

Comment

• ndnkidz_5
                    • May 2003

HUMMM well it all depends on when my fabric comes in.. a friend of mine is getting some of that crystal stain from Los Angels garment district. And some rhinestones too @ a good price per yard...! I have my desgns all done, just waiting on my material! After that I am, thinking if I work hard.......about a week.....for the dress...bead work to match~ well thats another story!

Comment

• eap7
                      ~Erica~
                      • Apr 2000

My mom makes mine too but she hates sewing!!! So I have to convince her to make them. She is amazing and sews them in a day or two. Usually I try to come up with the designs for applique, then she comes up with better ones! I am not very talented as far as color combos or sewing let alone applique. What would I do without my mom? I would have to dance naked or something and then there would be a thread about EAP7's Unfit Invisible Jingle Dress. That's one way to get the judges attention....

Comment

• oneidaNmenom

hey! my grandma N my auntie make my dress....my mom makes the shawl and my dress can get done fast or slow depending on how they feel.

Comment

• Kick_Azz_Jinglz
                          Pow Wow Visitor
                          • Mar 2003

me ~n~ my mom make all my dressez...well actually i do tha cones n my mom does most of tha sewing...*im to scared to actually get behind tha machine...* but we alwayz have fun while makin my dressez we talk bout all tha boyz...hahaha:D
                          "A truly spiritual path depends upon sincerity and freedom of
                          choice."
                          -Jack Forbes a professor emeritus of Native American Studies at the
                          University of California, Davis.

Comment

• hidatsachic24

my very first jingle dress was sketched out by me and my momma did all the sewing...my first fancy shawl dress when i was toddler was put together by my great granny, my nana and my momma..
                            i didnt learn to how to sew a jingle dress until last month of highschool...even then had problems with jingles falling off my dress*rofl* so embarrassing*lmao*-becca

Comment

• MarthaFlysWithEagles
                              Teen Dancer
                              • Jun 2003

What types of materials do you guys use in making your dresses. My mom usually makes mine but I want to start making them, I do all of my own beadwork and on my moccasins and jewelry but I am sorta lost on how to start making a dress. If anyone has any tips or sites that would be really helpful.
                              Thanks
                              "A single tear found it's way down her face. She swallowed in an effort to choke back the flood that threatened to follow. She lifted her chin. She was an Apache. Her captors would NOT see her cry...."
                              --Walks Alone, Brian Burks

"My hair is long, my skin is tan, my eyes brown, and my heart strong. I am an Apache woman. I will not be broken."

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.