Need Help with making a jingle dress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with making a jingle dress

I am currently a fancy shawl dancer but I want to start jingle dress dancing, What pattern would I use for the dress and how may jingles?? and any other information or help will appreciated I'm new to Jingle and I'm lost!! :O
    "Some People don't be lik'n it!!"

"THE ABILITY TO BRING ANOTHER LIFE INTO THIS WORLD IS A GOOD ENOUGH ANSWER TO WHY NATIVE WOMEN ARE SO SACRED..."

sigpic
    [[ME & THE GOVERNOR OF KANSAS MAY 2008]]

Check the jingle forum, you'll fnd the answers to all your questions there. And if you still have any unanswered question just ask. Good luck.
    The look on a baby's face the first time they hear the drum is priceless.......

Comment

I will definately do that thank you
      "Some People don't be lik'n it!!"

"THE ABILITY TO BRING ANOTHER LIFE INTO THIS WORLD IS A GOOD ENOUGH ANSWER TO WHY NATIVE WOMEN ARE SO SACRED..."

sigpic
      [[ME & THE GOVERNOR OF KANSAS MAY 2008]]

Comment

Jingle Dressmaking

Logically there is no set rules for a Jingle Dress these days.
        However, a proper Jingle Dress should have 365 jingles set on 7 rows. You can buy the lids and make your own jingles. You will have to use a cone shaper. You slide the lid in the slot on the side of the shaping tool, then roll the lid around it with you hand. You will need to wear very thick leather gloves, otherwise your hands will be black from the metal residue and they will hurt. But even so, your palms will ache after doing 400 Jingles.
        Once you have shaped your cones, you need to use a pair of pliers (same that the one you would use for cutting beads: the long round nose one), and introduce it in the cone to flat the little piece of the lid that was stuck in the shaping tool. Otherwise it will be in the way of the bias tape you will use to hang the jingle.

Cut about 3" of bias tape, make an overhand knot at one hand, push it through the large opening of our jingle, then when the knot gets as high as possible, take the pliers and pinch the top to trap it.
        Use only bias tape as ribbon would eventually snap free from the dress. The jingle has sharp edges.

Making your own jingle is very satisfaying, but if you do not have the time and if you are unsure, you can buy them by bags of 100's already made up for you.
        You will end up with some spares, but just in case, you lose one or the tape gets damage, you can always subsitute it with one of them. By experience, I can tell you that I have found the Silver a lot heavier than the Gold.

You might want to consider making a zipper for the side of your skirt. So that you can sit down with more ease. I have to tell you, the Jingle outfit is not the easiest to wear around the arena and to go to the washroom with.

My dresses always came in dreams, but I know that not all jingle dancers do. So you need to look into colors and fabric that you like and come up with some design. My best advise is to look at all the Jingle competitors when you go to powwows. It will give you some ideas. If you like someone's outfit and want to know how she made it, approach her and ask her. She might be able to tutor you. I like when someone comes to me and ask me how I did something or want me to help out her daughter. I take it as a compliment. However it is always good manner to give some tobacco.

If you are using satin or silky fabrics, you will need to get some interface or ironed on paper fabrics to back up your dress. Otherwise, the weight of the jingles will tear the dress.

Unlike for Fancy, it is not really usual to use fabric paints and fabric leggings for Jingle dancing. Though, I am not ruling it out. So whatever you choose to do, make sure you can replicate it for your beaded accessories.
        You will need matching hair ties,barrette, leggings, mocs. Now, some dancers still wear a scarf with a matching beaded tie, but these days it is more modern to wear a beaded chocker.
        A Jingle Dancer can carry a beaded bag. In mine I have some tobacco and other things that I was asked to carry by my tutors.

The best pattern I can recommend to start with (I am so repeating myself...lol) is the Missouri River Pattern. Not only because it is very simple, but it gives you plenty of space to improvize on. As well, it contain lots of basic information on how to attach your jingles and stuff like that.

Once you have done your dress, it is traditional to feast it. But, if you are not sure, it is best to approach a respected Jingle dancer and ask her about that, or ask her to introduce you in the circle for your first time. Again, it is customery to offer tobacco.

Hope I helped.
        Last edited by redberries; 08-30-2007, 04:54 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes (again!)
        Inila ye! Imaputakaye!!

Comment

Jingle Dressmaking

I forgot to say that if you need more help, you can always contact me.
          Last edited by redberries; 08-30-2007, 04:40 PM.
          Inila ye! Imaputakaye!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.