Dress Patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress Patterns

How many of you, when making a new dress, use a store bought pattern? Or are you just sooo dang good you don't need a pattern?

I usually use store bought patterns for the top.

Ive never used a pattern, I think Im just that damnnn good.. ;)
    NO MY EYES REALLY DONT LOOK LIKE THAT........ THATS ME AS A BRATZ DOLL ;)

http://pages.ivillage.com/sagkeengpowwow2003/

Some guys are good with their drum sticks.... and some just arent...:karate:

Comment

;) me too - never used a pattern
      Don't bring a JV player into my Varsity Game...

Comment

I use a pattern for adult sized dresses.
        For my son's stuff and other Kids stuff, i made my own patterns.
        I would rather have a pattern to follow than waste 4 yards of fabric that cost me 7 or 8 dollars a yard. i will combine things from differnt patterns to get the look i want though.

I want my stuff to look good, but then again i dont want you to look at my stuff and see that i got it from a simplicity pattern either. Make sure you can make your adjustments so that its a little more you, than the exact pattern.

Comment

Most of the time I make my own..and just save them. So now I have a bunch of patters I have made, and I just re-use and mix and match. I do all my designs from my head. I am working on a BADDDDD A$$ jingle dress now....I'll let you know when I get it done...I'll post a picture.

Comment

I don't use patterns and they turn out alright
            Last edited by Roobz; 01-14-2004, 08:37 PM.

Comment

PATTERNS OR NOT????

:) I ALWAYS USE A PATTERN CAUSE THAT WAS HOW MY GRAND MUM TAUGHT ME. BUT I CAN MIX AND MATCH PATTERN PIECES, BUT I CAN MESS UP SOMETIMES, WE ARE NOT PERFECT!! JUST TAKES ALOT OF PRACTICE.

Comment

Me and my mom use a pattern, but we do make adjustments so they fit just right. i will get that daaamm good tho where i wont need a pattern...LOL!

Comment

I used to use patterns, but some of them don't make any sense, so I just base the size off an old shirt and adjust the sleeves and length.

Comment

I think it is great when people can be so creative and talented as to want to create their own designs.

I am a mix master myself. :p But have not ventured to create my own pattern from scratch.

How 'bout some of you well seasoned seamstresses out there giving us some hints and how to's? :)
                    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

you can find books on drafting patterns in the library and book stores; that's how i started; it is also good to have basic sewing books to make sure you can understand the elements of sewing and dress... i have gotten several at half price books.
                      i also researched the history of garments (for renfaire stuff) b/c if you know the history of draping and construction, it is easier to follow the evolution of dress and what construction and materials make a fabric lay the way it does (very important when working off old paintings... oh, and making regalia patterns was much easier than elizabethan gentry!)
                      after that, it was up to a lot of experimenting w/ cheap fabric to get the basics down (another idea is to have basic shirt, dress, etc. patterns so you can look at them, copy neckline and armhole construction, etc. onto your garment-- i have this one button up shirt pattern i picked up for a dollar that has lent parts of its construction to two dozen garments!).
                      Oddly enough, i found that the research i did on historic turkish clothing helped a lot in drafting a tear dress b/c of the similarities of construction (all squares and rectangles, gussets).

a simple way of making a pattern is 'draping'-- essentially making a ppl slipcover. you use a dressform or the person, and start draping and pinning the fabric to the shape you want, then mark the lines, remove it and sew it.

hope this helps!
                      -d
                      I am me, and that's all i can be;
                      no more, no less.

Comment

For myself I just cut and go, lol. None of my stuff is done sloppy or anything, it is good n neat. I got sewin in my blood man, lol
                        My gran sews my mom sews I sew heck everyone sews.

I just go as it goes

Ive never wasted 4m of fabric by not using a pattern, Ill post soem of my stuff as soon as I get acess to a digital cam.

You just get to know what the peices look like, and once you have done it you should be able to keep doing it.

For some reason I find that if I can picture it in my head I can do it.

Tums up to yous who do find it easier to use a pattern
                        and TWO TUMS up to all you other ladies who go pattern free, lol.
                        NO MY EYES REALLY DONT LOOK LIKE THAT........ THATS ME AS A BRATZ DOLL ;)

http://pages.ivillage.com/sagkeengpowwow2003/

Some guys are good with their drum sticks.... and some just arent...:karate:

Comment

I use dress patterns, most times I tear them apart to my liking, I just use the dress pattern as a base just so I'm not wasting a bunch of fabric. I make my own bias tape (cheaper than buying it). I've been sewing so much that I don't need to refer to the instructions anymore.

I also use cutting wheels, cutting mats and quilters squares for measuring acurately. Makes the work move more smoothly.

Comment

I don't use patterns. The closest I come is laying a shirt down and cutting around it.

Once you understand an underarm seam, the rest is cake.
                            ...it is what it is...

Comment

i just have to use a pattern...im definitely not the most expert seemstress..my momma on the other hand knew how to depend on with no pattern..i hope someday i'll be like that but for now tis be..

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X