Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my daughter wants to dance jingle maybe.... Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my daughter wants to dance jingle maybe.... Help!!

My almost 5 yr old daughter has been asking me to make her a jingle dress for almost a year now. The problem is when she was younger (about 2 ) she had a jingle dress made for her and she only danced in it once, any other time she didn't want to put it on or dance. I know she's grown up but even now at powwows she'll go into the arena during intertribals and just want to walk. When I ask why isn't she practicing jingle she'll say because her legs hurt or she's tired. Around the house when her 2 yr old grass dancing brother practices she still says she doesnt want to. So HELP !!! should I make her a jingle dress in hopes that she'll actually dance or should I start her off with traditional cloth until she shows more interest ?????

I'd spank her! Just kidding. Here's a comprimise, make an jingle apron instead and have a serious talk to her about her attitude. If she were serious about dancing, she would not make excuses, if her only excuse is not having a dress, then just go with an jingle apron for now, until she is more serious, that why you time and money investment won't take and arm and leg.

Comment

As a mother of three im a firm believer that when they are that little they may not know what they want. I would agree have it availble for her, some thing basic. I sat with my boys and ask'd them what they wanted on their outfits , as far as colrs and designs go, and when offered them to be a part of it, with mine that seemd to peak a interest in getting it done and with them haveing a hand in the makeing of it they held it evenmore special. My now 8 yr old want to keep the yarn on his grass outfit in ship shape so not ruin it cause he tied a big part of it on. And if mine are not up to danceing for what ever reason I dont make them I like to let them do their thing with no pressure , so I guees like I said make her dress so she will have it but keep it simple if she ends up not wearing it.
      I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Yup Keep It Simple & Keep Encouraging Her!! My Now 10 Year Old Quit Dancing For About 5 Years...dunno Why Or What Happened With Her...but She's Decided To Get Back Into It This Year! I'm Proud Of Her & I Think Alot Of It Has To Do With Her Seeing All Her Sisters So Into Their Dancing! Give It Some Time!

But Boss, I am working!!......on finding my next pow-wow that is!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I had a talk with her and we decided that she'll do traditional cloth for a while until she is ready for jingle. I think she really just liked the idea of a jingle dress and she sees some of her friends dancing jingle, so the style appealed to her but I think traditional is more her pace right now. I'll let ya know how it works out.

Comment

WELL KEEP US POSTED...

But Boss, I am working!!......on finding my next pow-wow that is!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.