• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ojibwaysweetie
    PowWows.com Addicts
    • Sep 2003

Your Fan

For those of you Jinglers that use a fan, what kind of fan do you use? Black tip? Spotted eagle? Golden? Makaw? Describe the fan you use when dancing your contest song.
    "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

• dancinfancy
    dancinfancy
    • Jan 2007

My 10 year old daugther jingles and right now she has a red shoulder hawk tail, but I am working on get her either a salt & pepper or black and white, haven't had much luck yet though.
    The look on a baby's face the first time they hear the drum is priceless.......

Comment

• ojibwaywmn
      Swan Lake Ojibway
      • Jun 2003

I was using a spotted eagle fan while dancing Contemporary. Now that I have switched over to Old Style, I no longer use a fan.

Comment

• tiYaAni
        »*HOkA!
        • Sep 2007

blackktips :]

Comment

• ndngirl70
          powwow bum
          • Sep 2005

I dance old style and do not use a fan
          I'm not mean....You're just a sissy

http://www.mytribalspace.com/tribal/...ame_ndngirl70/
          http://www.myspace.com/ndngirl70

Comment

• ojibwaywmn
            Swan Lake Ojibway
            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by tiYaAni View Post
            blackktips :]
            Nice!

Comment

• native_flutterby
              I are an aunt
              • Jan 2002

heh heh she said for those of you who use a fan :P lol anyhow i use my bald eagle tail or my eagle wing when i feel like it, meaning if their are prayers or people that have asked me to dance for them. its considered a spotted tail i guess, it was from a rather large young bald female. its got featherwork on it and a handle that twists off. My fam on my dads side had it done for me. its pretty its semi loose, when i dance the feathers dance with me on the side step i love the way it feels when they dance with me. yeah thats about it i have pix of it on my myspace ;) lol
              Last edited by native_flutterby; 05-21-2008, 11:28 PM.
              There can only be 2 moccasins on your feet at one time...however life has given me many pair...along with a needle, thread and really sharp teeth to cut with...lmao

http://www.myspace.com/anty_tweeb

Comment

• ojibwaysweetie
                PowWows.com Addicts
                • Sep 2003

I don't use a fan when I dance. My Mama gave me eagle feathers number of years ago and had a fan made. They are old feathers and instead of them just lying in my case I asked for a fan to be made. I will use it when I have that feeling to use it like to pray directly for her.

Comment

• miss_mohawk
                  Old/New Fancy Shawler
                  • Mar 2007

I had a little mini fan when I was little. I think they were turkey feathers but I'm not too shure. I remember back then that round here even old style jinglers used to carry a fan...times have changed eh?

Comment

• native_flutterby
                    I are an aunt
                    • Jan 2002

haa haa haa! i just thought of something! my grampa murph rigged up a ruffed grouse fan for me when i was a tiny tot! i still have it and was thinking of dancin with that lol just for the sake of memories...i loved my papa and i love my fam they are the ones who gave me my eagle fans...the wing and the tail. there are responsibilities that go with them too but i wont get into that lol but yeah a ruffed grouse tail fan is a cute beginers fan :D
                    There can only be 2 moccasins on your feet at one time...however life has given me many pair...along with a needle, thread and really sharp teeth to cut with...lmao

http://www.myspace.com/anty_tweeb

Comment

• Tibiki Kinew
                      The bear is out!
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by native_flutterby View Post
                      haa haa haa! i just thought of something! my grampa murph rigged up a ruffed grouse fan for me when i was a tiny tot! i still have it and was thinking of dancin with that lol just for the sake of memories...i loved my papa and i love my fam they are the ones who gave me my eagle fans...the wing and the tail. there are responsibilities that go with them too but i wont get into that lol but yeah a ruffed grouse tail fan is a cute beginers fan :D
                      Brings back memeories for me, I made a whole stack of them. In fact when I go to a powwow it still is good to see one of mine in the hands of others. Now I make more ceremonial ones that talk when you look at them, they are not repeats and all are so unique that the owner knows he or she has a one of a kind fan.
                      Last year I started a new series of fans, using the leg of a wolf as a handle and removing the bones and treating the skin and then filling the leg to become firm as a handle, I do leave the claws and pads on the foot too!
                      Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
                      Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

• ojibwaysweetie
                        PowWows.com Addicts
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by native_flutterby View Post

Those are good starter fans and they are cute. LOL. And it is cool that you still have it.

Comment

• NCheyGirl21
                          • Aug 2004

Mine's black tips

Comment

• JinglinBooty
                            I'm Yaqui --- Not YUCKY!!
                            • Oct 2004

I was given my fan by my brother-in-law - white feathers.
                            "Sometimes you have to take it back...
                            ... a little of my old school with a little of your new."

http://myspace.com/haaka

Comment

• Flying_Raven
                              Story Seeker
                              • Aug 2008

mine it the first one i've made, the main feathers are 4 Large turkey tail feathers, then i have a row of 4 shorter ones that used alternateing between owl and macaw(2 of each), then the base is 5raven feathers, these feathers were gifted to me by a friends of the family. i use the fan for prayer as well.
                              sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.