Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dancing style complaints

well heres a topic to discuss about...
    has any of you ever been stopped by younger people who say that you dont dance right? i had a friend who danced old style no fancy moves and she was taught that way....couple of time she was approached by couple of youngees who danced fancier and said she doesnt dance right....as jingle dancers we are taught many things and that even not everybody dances the same way...what right does some people have to tell someone that they dont dance right?whats yar thoughts on this topic?-becca

I suggest you reveal their names so that the future generations will never follow their mistakes!

Comment

I've seen it happen a lot with young male (and sometimes older) traditional dancers. These guys jump around, spin in full circles, run across the arena, etc. It's almost like they want to be fancy dancers but they're too lazy to make a second bustle
      This is the worst signature ever.

Comment

style

well i think that people have their own styles of dancing and not everyboy will like it but they have no right to tell anyone anything because everyone has their own style. people try to say things about contemporary dancing too, but if we still lived and did things how we used to in the older days then it would be different, but we dont, the world is changing along with pow wows and "tradition." all i know is we all have our own way of dancing.
        -

Comment

WHOA... no that has never happend to me, I think I'd cry....
          Miigwetch

all's fair in love and pow wow.... see ya around

Comment

I really think the culprit to blame on all of this holliganism would have to be the effect of those hideous neon colors. I'd like to propose a secondary division for contests called non-traditional neon flash dancing!

Comment

I don't think anyone has the right to say "you're not dancing right", but I do think that old-style should have their own category, fancy, jingle, grass, whatever

Comment

your right about that one...tradish jingle should be the name of the catagory...hmm maybe that could be not a very good name...
                personally never been confronted exactly like that one of my friends have here in toledo but been confronted in similiar way...its wrong....but personally this fake wannabe lady
                her name is dianna moore...found out shes a total liar...she a jingle dancer who says shes from canada and shes been in boarding school...now that b.s. cuz boarding school has been closed down for yrs. now...shes in her late 30's i think and found out shes from cinncinnatti..
                she says she follows by anishnabe ways but she doesnt been to her moon ceremony before and its lakota based tradition...her teachings are lakota based ....but i was dancing at toledo powwow and the woman had the nerve to grab my arm and sayd this is a healing dress...basically saying i dont have the right to dance jingle...i was so upset i started crying.... told my momma when i got home and she was pissed off big time..well what gets me is that people who say that usually sometimes arent what they appear to be...well dianna apparently holds the jingle dancing as sacred when she dont even follow by it...she takes money...becca

Comment

quciksilverwade,
                  i normally dont like giveing names out especially of my friends on-line...with dianna who isnt a friend of mine i make an acception cuz people should know about her just incase they get invited to one of her swets...and to know its all for show what she does..-becca

Comment

I understand Hidatsachic about having second thoughts about bringing a person out on the internet but since the powwow world is a small world. Just by naming a person like Dianna Moore there are others who can research this person's background just by asking the elders who may have some type of knowledge about this person. And since I'm from Crow Creek South Dakota, I can ask my mother or call my cousins and ask "what do you know about Dianna Moore?". Who knows maybe I'm related to her, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by quicksilverwade
                      I really think the culprit to blame on all of this holliganism would have to be the effect of those hideous neon colors. I'd like to propose a secondary division for contests called non-traditional neon flash dancing!
                      LMAO thats too funny.... "non-traditional neon flash dancing"
                      The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Gee, I don't know how I would react to anyone telling me that I was dancing wrong. There was a good point someone brought up...making an "old style" or "original style" category for the styles of dancing. More and more, I see a chicken dance category for chicken dancers. A majority of the regalia is the old style, but there are grass dancers who go out there and chicken dance in this category...so I dunno if that would be a possibility.

As far as putting names on the net, the powwow world is quite small, and if this Moore person is offending people, we should know about it. There is nothing more annoying than a person coming right out and telling you that what you are doing is wrong. There is a "good way" to approach a person (invite them to your camp for dinner, offer a gift in exchange for some words of advise etc...) Just my two cents...AW MAN, now I am broke!!!:Tongue
                        yeah, yeah, yeah...

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?

Comment

I think some ppl say that also becuz they've never seen it b4. I know that wehen I did old style down here, ppl were asking what I was doing and how come I wasn't using a fan.
                          Don't ever stop dancing

Comment

Re: style

Originally posted by JDD 4 life
                            well i think that people have their own styles of dancing and not everyboy will like it but they have no right to tell anyone anything because everyone has their own style. people try to say things about contemporary dancing too, but if we still lived and did things how we used to in the older days then it would be different, but we dont, the world is changing along with pow wows and "tradition." all i know is we all have our own way of dancing.

AMEN~!~!~!
                            .o0~CLAY~0o.

Comment

Originally posted by superndngyrl
                              LMAO thats too funny.... "non-traditional neon flash dancing"
                              that IS too funny!
                              Hockey is soul food.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X